Neon Reads The Wheel of Time

aneonfoxtribute

It seems like Graendal is trying to mess with all of the Great Captains, and only Bashere and Agelmar are really falling for it. Bryne seems none the worse for wear, and Ituralde is just starting battle and it seems he's doing well too

NEVER MIND BRYNE IS NOT DOING FINE

Did Mat just take out Moghedian without even trying

THE ASHA'MAN HAVE ARRIVED! Probably the last of the reinforcements coming. I can't think of anyone else who hasn't shown up.

ANDROL STRAIGHT UP DROPPED A VOLCANIC ERUPTION ONTO THE TROLLOCS RAW

ITURALDE IS REALIZING AND HE'S TRYING TO FIGHT THE COMPULSION! THAT'S MY BOY!

"That was how Mat was. He'd grumbled and muttered all winter about how people made sport of him, insisting that next time, he'd just let them drown. Then the moment he'd seen someone in danger, he'd gone splashing right back in"

AND THAT'S WHY MAT IS MY KING!

YEAH MIN GO OFF! JUST TRY AND MAKE ONE OF THE WOMEN THE DRAGON LOVES DO A SINGLE DAMN THING, TUON! TRY IT, SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

Ironically, Graendal, despite having been deemed a failure, is putting in without question the most work for the Shadow. Moghedian doesn't seem to be doing anything, I don't think she's been mentioned at all (I assumed the channeler Mat captured was her but no it was a random Sharan), Moridin was just vibing waiting for Rand, and Demandred and Taim, while they have put in a lot of work with the Sharans and the Asha'man, haven't done nearly as good a job at completely destroying the armies as Graendal is. Her messing with the Great Captains is without question the biggest power play on the Shadow's side.

OKAY I GUESS THE FIGHT BETWEEN RAND AND THE DARK ONE BEGINS NOW

Graendal is REALLY putting in work god damn. She took out two Aes Sedai and a Warder, got rid of Flinn's hand, and Compulsed another Aes Sedai. F for Sarene

6 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

ANDROL STRAIGHT UP DROPPED A VOLCANIC ERUPTION ONTO THE TROLLOCS RAW

one of my favorite scenes in the battle. and I loved how it flipped the standard "let the strognest person lead" thing that both the Aes Sedai AND the Ashaman do. by letting the person whose Talents were best suited to the task lead they did a lot more damage.

THE SEANCHAN JUST DROPPED A BALL NEXT TO UNO TO DELIVER A MESSAGE LMAO

Wonder where Demandred took Leane and why she hasn't come back. Wonder where Teslyn and Joline and the former sul'dam are. I wonder about a lot of things.

I like how Mat is implying Demandred is doing brilliant strategic maneuvers while simultaneously raving about Rand. He's probably right, too

It says a lot that Demandred is in a full circle with a sa'angreal, and he's STILL afraid of Rand

Gawyn vs Demandred, let's go

F for Gawyn, he lost. He's gonna die sooner rather than later probably.
he died as he lived, doing something stupid

I think Androl fits in pretty naturally in the world. He doesn't feel very mcuh like a "Sanderson magic system experiment" character. He feels like just another guy who is really good at Gateways (which is no different from, say, Nynaeve) and accidentally bonded someone he was bonded to.

RHUARC NO! GOD DAMMIT GRAENDAL STOP BEING THE MOST EFFECTIVE FORSAKEN!

Also seriously, where the hell is Moghedian, we haven't seen her at ALL

Galad has an anti-channeling medallion and is going off to kill as many as he can. This is gonna be sick. He's gonna die, we've already seen it, but it will be sick

SIUAN IS DEAD WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED

Demandred is incredibly cool, it's such a shame that he had to be saved for the very end but I get it

EYYYYYYYYYYYY JUILIN! HOW YOU DOING BUDDY!

Oof, Gawyn didn't even make it back to Egwene

BUT GALAD IS GOING TO FIGHT DEMANDRED THIS IS GONNA BE SIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

"I will do what needs to be done," Galad said, cold inside. Cold as winter steel. "I will bring Light to the Shadow. I will bring justice to the Forsaken."

Oh good, a good excuse to say this. I think how Brandon writes Tuon's feelings towards damane have been a bit off. As I recall, Tuon said in Knife of Dreams that "Denying Healing was foolish", and Brandon writes her as denying it here. Same thing with some other scenes, I don't feel Jordan-written Tuon would enjoy watching damane be "broken", like she said in ToM. Trained, she would, but I would believe that she'd have the same thought process as Bethamin and not enjoy seeing them be broken. It's a very slight difference, but it's one I've felt for a while

TUON AND MAT HAD THE SAME PLAN AND KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THE OTHER WAS DOING, PEAK

Wheel of Time did Thanos before Endgame did

F for Bryne, we didn't even get to see his last stand

DEMANDRED VS GALAD THIS IS GONNA BE SICK AS HELL

YEEEEEEEEEEEAH TESLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYN! I don't care about seeing Joline, I just wanted to see Teslyn honestly.

EGEANIN WARDER LET'S GO

Egwene strode back onto the killing fields, bringing the fury of the Amyrlin with her

I love her immensely.

Okay so. I believed I was spoiled on Lan's death because of the song "To Sheath The Blade". I'm now wondering if that song wasn't about Lan but was about Galad. I assumed it was about Lan because a lot of the lyrics very much felt like Lan, but this fight with Galad against Demandred feels like the song

F for Galad, that didn't last very long. That's sad. At least he got a hit

LMFAO TAIM IS MAKING ANDROL LOOK LIKE ANDROL! That's funny.

HE STOLE THE SEALS POG

It's very interesting how many visions of utopia where evil is outright removed and everyone is happy are always considered a bad thing. It's a very interesting aspect of humanity that our desire for choice always trumps our desire for unquestionable peace

Oh damn Aravine betrayed Faile. She was a Darkfriend all along. I half wonder if what she was doing was a ploy, though, to try and get the Horn to Mat without arousing suspicion until she was too far away to do anything about

Oh hi Leane, where have you been

IT'S TIME FOR BELA'S MOMENT TO SHINE!

And now Logain goes off to fight Demandred. This man is a menace. Graendal is still the MVP of this war on the Shadow's side, I think, but Demandred is putting up a DAMN good fight for that title.

EGWENE VS TAIM LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Random view of Aram's parents. We haven't seen them in ages. Damn

OH GOD DAMMIT THERE'S HANLON, WHY IS HE HERE NOW!

BELA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THE WORLD IS DOOMED, THE CREATOR IS DEAD!

TIME FOR LOGAIN TO FIGHT DEMANDRED, GOTTA KEEP THROWING PEOPLE AT HIM!

And yet another falls to Demandred, though Logain survived this one

OH MY GOD GALAD IS STILL ALIVE WHAT A BEAST

Oof Annoura burned out. Is this the first time we've seen someone properly burn out?

I don't suppose the weave to cure Stilling can cure someone being burned out

F for Bashere and Hurin

BIRGITTE NO! THAT'S NO WAY FOR YOU TO GO OUT 😢

PAIN

THERE'S MOGHEDIAN! Probably, anyway. Chilling out trying to manipulate the Seanchan. Min did a based

OH JESUS CHRIST! TAIM BALEFIRE'D THE DEFENDERS AND THAT'S REWRITING HISTORY, DISASTER

A FEW HOURS BACK?! HOW MUCH DID THAT DESTROY

AT THIS RATE TAIM IS GONNA DESTROY THE PATTERN BEFORE THE DARK ONE DOES

Bro if Egwene Balefire's Taim, that's gonna rock the Pattern to its core. He ALREADY destroyed threads of the Pattern, how the hell is it gonna react when that destruction is then undone

THE ANTI BALEFIRE

TAIM IS DEAD! HALLELUJAH THE PATTERN IS SAVED!

EGWENE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THAT IS THE MOST UPSETTING DEATH AAAAAAAA

LAN CHARGES! LAN GOES TO FIGHT DEMANDRED! HE GOES TO SHEATH THE BLADE!

DEMANDRED FELT AT THE WOUND IN HIS CHEEK, AND HIS EYES OPENED WIDER. "WHO ARE *YOU*?" DEMANDRED ASKED.
"I AM THE MAN WHO WILL KILL YOU."

"I DID NOT COME HERE TO WIN. I CAMEHERE TO KILL YOU. DEATH IS LIGHTER THAN A FEATHER"

THE END OF THE LAST BATTLE (the chapter)

JDIU;SADGYFUIAJSDKFHaiulkfhasdyugfyusdhfyjasdtfiuashdgvytfgaysudfdHGYUIOHGFYUSDIOFHSDUF]

AND THEN RAND AL'THOR - THE DRAGON REBORN - STOOD UP ONCE AGAIN TO FACE THE SHADOW

THE LAST KING OF THE MALKIERI STUNBLED TO HIS FEET! LAN THRUST HIS HAND INTO THE AIR, HOLDING BY ITS HAIR THE HEAD OF DEMNADRED, GENERAL OF THE SHADOW'S ARMIES
"THAT MAN" RAND SHOUTED! "THAT MAN STILL FIGHTS!"

DNGKJSADHJFKADBSVYHJUFSDKJFGJYDSHFKJSDHUIFHSDUIFGYSDUIH THE GREATEST THE BEST OH MY GOD SDHFIUASHFIUGSDYFISD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA PEAK FICTION! I was fake spoiled on this for at least a YEAR, I thought Lan died and accepted it, I didn't realize he'd GET BACK UP! That is legitimately one of the greatest moments I've ever had reading a story

BIRGITTE SILVERBOW STOOD OVER HER CORPSE!

ooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH THE TIME THAT MAT DIED AND RAND USED BALEFIRE TO BRING HIM BACK TO LIFE! THE PAYOFF! OH MY GOD!

NOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

MAT! YOU BLOODY GENIUS! USING HINDERSTAP LIKE THAT THAT'S GOD DAMN BRILLIANT

HA! Using gateways to fire the Dragons through. I love Mat

Edited by aneonfoxtribute

Alviarin is still alive??? I thought she died in ToM.

ANDROL DISGUISED HIMSELF AS RAND LMAO

Please tell me that we get to see Hawkwing talk to Tuon

Thom is so cool. He's always been cool

Oh hey there's Fain, I was wondering where he was

F for Alanna

SLAYER IS DEAD

MAT GOT STABBED BY MASHADAR NO NOT MY BOY

MORDETH IS DEAD!

I knew Mat was gonna live because of the sequel idea, but damn that almost got me

THE SEALS ARE BROKEN

Oh my god Lanfear has been Compulsing Perrin this whole time. Rand was right all along

The evil is now well and truly defeated.

And now, for the final prose Jordan wrote.

Tuon: "Now I can kill you, if I want"

Awww, she's so romantic

Oh I didn't realize the meaning of Rhuarc dying meaning that the future Aviendha saw was averted

I can't believe the payoff for "Alivia will help you die" is "she'll somehow know that you're in Moridin's body and give you clothes and things" lmao

The wind, it was not the ending. There are no endings, and never will be endings, to the turning of the Wheel of Time.
But it was an ending.

He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone

The End
Of the Last Book of
The Wheel of Time
Peak fiction. What else can be said

Glad you finished. Brandon did a hell of a job with it at the end.

Also I totally loathe the Wheel of Prime show.

Ive been skipping the majority of your post covering his books as I’ve only read them once as they released so I’m not as familiar with them as the others that I have read now a 3rd time so I’ve forgotten a bit and want to be fresh when I finally get to them again. Did you enjoy Androl? I believe he has been in since bk 9 but BS got to take him on his own original adventure for his 3 and I remember really enjoying him.

Edited by Briar King

On 10/24/2023 at 8:37 PM, Briar King said:

Glad you finished. Brandon did a hell of a job with it at the end.

Also I totally loathe the Wheel of Prime show.

Ive been skipping the majority of your post covering his books as I’ve only read them once as they released so I’m not as familiar with them as the others that I have read now a 3rd time so I’ve forgotten a bit and want to be fresh when I finally get to them again. Did you enjoy Androl? I believe he has been in since bk 9 but BS got to take him on his own original adventure for his 3 and I remember really enjoying him.

Thanks for telling me about this in the Kiseki thread. I read your original post but I didn't see the edit.

I don't remember Androl at all before the Sanderson books. I know a lot of people don't like Androl because people say "he doesn't fit", but I disagree. I think he fits perfectly well. People call him a "Sanderson playing with the magic system", even Sanderson himself, but I don't think that fits either. He doesn't really do a lot of playing with it. He's just a dude who is really good with Traveling and not much else. He's like Nynaeve, where he's just super Talented at this thing and he does things with it extensively. I'd even say that he's less experimental than Nynaeve. Nynaeve actually DOES play with the magic system, she plays with how Healing works (trying to cure stilling and the madness, for instance). Androl just does the only thing he really can to get out of trouble, which is making portals in fun ways. And it's not even like he's the only one doing it, he isn't even making the most radical changes, that's Bryne using the portal to look down on a battlefield.

The only other thing that would be considered "playing with the magic system" is the double bond with Pevara, which from a writing perspective is playing with the magic system a bit, but it's just one event that happens by accident. I wouldn't really call it playing with the magic system very much. 

As a character Androl is pretty good. He's not really standout but the things people dislike about him are overblown. I also remember seeing people say that he was an unnecessary addition, but I disagree. We needed a perspective from one of the random Asha'man chilling at the Tower. It wouldn't have worked if they just used Logain, which was the only other option. It would have been far different because Logain is more powerful, the storyline needed a smaller figure to view all the events of the Black Tower from, and someone who is familiar with the workings of the Asha'man (which is why we can't just have Pevara's viewpoint of it, because she doesn't know these people).

tl;dr, Androl pretty good, any dislike for him genuinely makes zero sense to me