Railroading

Given the technological advancement we see in Row, I've been wondering about other possible forms of transportation. And, my brain latched onto one in particular that has struck me as quite a fun idea... though the more I think about it the less practical it seems. Could someone use a heating fibril to make a steam engine. The specifics of the fabrial itself are less important to me since we're getting a bunch of fabrial info in the epigraphs. But, what I'm wondering is: Does anyone have any ideas to secure these trains against high storms?

1 hour ago, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

But, what I'm wondering is: Does anyone have any ideas to secure these trains against high storms?

Honestly, I don't think that's the real issue. Crem alone makes it almost an inconceivable task to operate a railway. You can't run a train on a track that gets caked over in clay along its entire length every few days. The amount of maintenance needed would be astronomical. Not to mention it would take more time to clean than it would take to get covered again unless you had an army dedicated to it. And even then...

Maybe it's possible to create a fabrial that could do it, but I honestly think a railroad cleaning fabrial will be much more complicated than anything they have right now. Strangely enough, I'm not at all surprised they figured out air vehicles before land vehicles on Roshar.

Protection from highstorms wouldn't be that big a deal really, especially in comparison. All you really need is accurate predictions and places along the track where you can switch the train into shelter when necessary. They already had good predictions before the Everstorm, and they'll get that figured out too eventually unless Odium keeps moving it manually. 

Edited by Ansalem

On 8/13/2020 at 0:23 AM, Oltux72 said:

They can shape stone. Build subways.

This just gave me a vision of future Roshar with huge underground malls/shopping centers/subways, where when Highstorms are coming, people just hop into the underground version of their city and continue life as normal. 

The slave wagons that Kaladin rides in have sides that go in to protect them from Highstorms so I think you could build a rail car to withstand them. 

What is you used wheels similar to Dalinar's siege engines and just used steam propulsion but no track? 

On 15.8.2020 at 3:46 PM, Requiem17 said:

This just gave me a vision of future Roshar with huge underground malls/shopping centers/subways, where when Highstorms are coming, people just hop into the underground version of their city and continue life as normal. 

The drainage systems they need to build would have to be really huge with all the water coming down during a highstorm. 

Or you had to seal them very tight from the outside. Possible but this will take a lot effort. 

On 8/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, spaidapig said:

The drainage systems they need to build would have to be really huge with all the water coming down during a highstorm. 

Or you had to seal them very tight from the outside. Possible but this will take a lot effort. 

If you have the water-manipulating fabrials around the entrances you could pull it away from them so the stormwater can't even fall inside.

Any D&D gamers here who played Eberron?   I keep envisioning the Rosharan version of the Lightning Rail.  Metal plinths sticking out of the ground in a line with mounted fabrials that repel crem.  The train is like a Maglev with fabrials mounted underneath the train that repels the specific metal of the plinth.  The train has abrasion fabrials to resist the wind.