Well... I caved...

robardin

I checked to see how many chapters from RoW had already gone up at Tor, and couldn't not read them.

I had felt the pacing was off on my first read of Oathbringer, which only went away after one or two re-reads, and decided it was because I did the weekly "early chapter" thing Dickens-style for a work that wasn't really intended or suited for that.

After reading the Prologue and Ch 1-3, I'm not thinking I'll have that problem at all with RoW, though. I think it was more that I'd read the Dallinar flashbacks in the Unfettered collection (I think it was) that they were "early released" in, before reading Oathbringer and instead of reading them in their proper spacing and placing in that work.

I caved too, but at a different task: I decided to not do a full reread of the previous 3 books. I don't have the time (thankfully I've been very busy at my job, working at home through this whole pandemic - makes me a bit sad, but it's the right choice for me now), and I've read them all several times already.

What I am doing is reading through:

• (done) All the chapter epigraphs (I copied them into a separate document and have some of them reorganized per their citations which is a very interesting exercise...)
  • (done) All the Interludes
  • (done) All the Prologues / versions of the night Gavilar was murdered
  • (in-progress) All of Dalinar's visions

But I am going to discipline myself to not be here on the Forums so much for the next few months, just in case anyone guesses something that turns out to be a spoiler. It's going to be even harder to not cave for the Shard, but I did it for Oathbringer so I know I can do it now.

Happy reading!:D

On 8/5/2020 at 9:56 PM, Iarwainiel said:

I caved too, but at a different task: I decided to not do a full reread of the previous 3 books. I don't have the time (thankfully I've been very busy at my job, working at home through this whole pandemic - makes me a bit sad, but it's the right choice for me now), and I've read them all several times already.

What I am doing is reading through:

• (done) All the chapter epigraphs (I copied them into a separate document and have some of them reorganized per their citations which is a very interesting exercise...)
  • (done) All the Interludes
  • (done) All the Prologues / versions of the night Gavilar was murdered
  • (in-progress) All of Dalinar's visions

But I am going to discipline myself to not be here on the Forums so much for the next few months, just in case anyone guesses something that turns out to be a spoiler. It's going to be even harder to not cave for the Shard, but I did it for Oathbringer so I know I can do it now.

Happy reading!:D

Could also read the fantastic chapter summaries on the Coppermind:

Way of Kings

Words of Radiance

Oathbringer

They’re incredibly well made and quite in depth.