An Aluminum Twinborn thought experiment

Arlin

A while back during the Starsight release, I asked Brandon a question about aluminum and Twinborn and ended up being RAFO’d. I want to present that question here, as a thought experiment. because I think it creates a nice framing device for looking into possibilities how F-aluminum might work.

The set up for this is. You take a Twinborn with Frucemical- aluminum, their Alomantic meatal does not matter. Over their theoretical career they have stored up a truly impressive amount of Identity in a wealth of aluminuminds and after this they become a savant in what ever their Aolomantic meatal happens to be.

Now the question is what happens when they tap the Aluminuminds they made previous to them becoming a savant in their other meatal.

This question was originally made to test the idea that F-Aluminum acted like spiritual save state thus creating a sort of savantisum toggle switch, allowing the Twinborn to turn off their savantisum by taping.

I would love to hear all individual your solutions to it.

Edited by Arlin

I would say no.  If they became a savant then that would be part of their identity.  Feruchemy does not allow you to store something you don't have(we know this from nicrosil).  As such I would say it only effects existing spiritual structures.  So identity would strengthen what you already have but not undo savantism.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

I would say no.  If they became a savant then that would be part of their identity.  Feruchemy does not allow you to store something you don't have(we know this from nicrosil).  As such I would say it only effects existing spiritual structures.  So identity would strengthen what you already have but not undo savantism.

I think the argument is that they stored the Identity before becoming a savant.

I think you will no longer be a savant, i.e. your Spiritweb would revert, but it would take time for your body to heal.

9 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

I think the argument is that they stored the Identity before becoming a savant.

I understood I just explained badly.  Let me try again.  I think your identity is two things.  The first is the unique pattern that says who you are.  The second is a force of investiture that expresses that pattern to the universe.  If this is the case storing identity does not change who you are it just dims how much the universe cares.  When storing identity you are still you just less so.  This means tapping identity might actually make your savantism more obvious as it is part of you and your selfness is enhanced.

5 minutes ago, Karger said:

I understood I just explained badly.  Let me try again.  I think your identity is two things.  The first is the unique pattern that says who you are.  The second is a force of investiture that expresses that pattern to the universe.  If this is the case storing identity does not change who you are it just dims how much the universe cares.  When storing identity you are still you just less so.  This means tapping identity might actually make your savantism more obvious as it is part of you and your selfness is enhanced.

This actually makes more sense, especially with the Feruchemy works. But I would then argue that tapping Identity won't have an effect, (you and your SpiritWeb are already aligned) however, if you tap aluminium while burning metal, it might slow down savanthood, by making you more resistant to change.

1 minute ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

This actually makes more sense, especially with the Feruchemy works. But I would then argue that tapping Identity won't have an effect, (you and your SpiritWeb are already aligned) however, if you tap aluminium while burning metal, it might slow down savanthood, by making you more resistant to change.

I agree that an aluminum compounder would probably be highly resistant to savanthood.

14 minutes ago, Karger said:

I think your identity is two things.  The first is the unique pattern that says who you are.  The second is a force of investiture that expresses that pattern to the universe.

If Identity can be split into to functions, can it then be stored separately like tin and senses? If so what is stopping you from taping that old pattern and then taping thee expression of it.  

Love that this is being pick apart by the way.

1 minute ago, Arlin said:

If Identity can be split into to functions, can it then be stored separately like tin and senses? If so what is stopping you from taping that old pattern and then taping thee expression of it.  

We haven't actually seen someone do that. Also, the WOB related to this says, that it would not be so simple:

Questioner

Could you use the Feruchemical ability to store Identity to heal damage done to you in the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Um... yes, but it's gonna take a roundabout method to make it happen... Yes, but Identity can be very useful for all sorts of things like this.

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014)

11 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

We haven't actually seen someone do that. Also, the WOB related to this says, that it would not be so simple:

I would see that as supporting me.  Basically Identity works a lot like pewter in the CR.