Oathbringer reaction

Is anybody interested in Oathbringer reactions, or should I keep it to myself?  I don't know if I can do that, honestly.

To explain: I finally got my hands on Oathbringer.  None of the people I know have read it, and I have a sneaking suspicion I will have Emotions.  Is it okay to post them here as I go, or no? 

22 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

What's a subforum?  (I'm really bad with terminology.)

A forum inside a forum, Stormlight Archive is a subforum inside the Cosmere forum. Also, I am so glad you will get to enjoy the beauty that is Oathbringer. 

Oh, ok.  Thanks, @Gears!

Edit:   First impression of the book: The art of the Heralds is beautiful.  Absolutely gorgeous.  And looking at the table of contents, the names of the five parts are a ketek!  That is a brilliant idea.

Edit No. 2: These questions are rhetorical.

• Gavilar gave me the creeps in the prologue.  I'm not sure if it's because it's from Eshonai's POV or not.  We shall see.
  • Renarin needs the spotlight.
  • *scribbles math* Dalinar's a older teen in this flashback?  And has no mercy.  Just.  Wow.  Dude.

Assassin: Tries to kill Dalinar

Dalinar: You wonderful man.  Hired.

• Lirin!  Hesina!  And baby brother, baby brother, I'm in love.
  • Roshone gets decked.  

And that's as far as I've gotten!  I do wonder what's going on in Kholinar.  I remember there being riots in WOR.  I wonder what's happening there.

Edit No. 3

• "It is my solemn and important duty to bring happiness, light, and joy into your world."  Aka, Syl explains my life plan.
  • Haven't met Queen Fen, but I think I like her.
  • Elhokar needs a therapist.
  • Her name is Evi.  This is going to be fascinating.
  • Strangely, Young D reminds me of Wayne, at least in the pork steak chapter.
  • Shallan's drawings are scaring me just a bit.  And that spren.  Brr.

I'm done with part one!  And Jasnah's back.  Let's do this, for the Intellectual Queen of Roshar has returned!

Edit No. 4

• I'd like to see more of Dabbid, Kaladin is a dad, Renarin and Rock need more interactions, and Bridge Four being a supportive found family when Hobber figures out how to breathe Stormlight is all I need.
  • Moash and I don't get along, but I understand him.  I don't like him, but I understand him.
  • I love that Bridge Four is growing, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for the original crew.
  • Mr. T's brilliance is both invigorating and terrifying.

I still have no idea what the end goal of this book is.  I love it.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

I haven't finished Part three yet, but I filled a notebook page, so here I am.

• Dalinar has a bizarre energy.  Dad one moment, let-someone-stab-him the next.
  • Adolin, you ray of sunshine.  You wonderful, trusting man.  Your tailor.
  • WIT!
  • I need to know more about Skar, Drehy and Adolin's interactions.  There is potential there.
  • Shallan is scaring me with all her different personalities.  I'm a bit worried I'm going to start calling her Sheiliant.  (Shallan/Veil/Radiant)
  • Kholinar is a mess.  Just... awful.
  • Oh no.  Dalinar.  No.  Don't do it.
  • He did it.  I don't know what to think.  It's horrible.  It's all so messed up.
  • Wall Guard: Kaladin adopts people again.

Edit:

• Oh, Wit.  What he tells Shallan is beautiful.
  • What's up with Azure's sword?  And on the subject of swords, where is Szeth?  And what about Rysn?
  • Kaladin pulls off the Aragorn at Helms Deep entrance, because of course he does.  (That would look fantastic on a movie poster.  Just sayin'.)
  • Kid!
  • NO spren, don't hurt the kid!
  • Kaladin saves Gavinor, good.  (How long till he comes across an orphaned child and Bridge Four becomes the weird uncles?)
  • Elhokar...
  • Nope.  No, I'm done with Moash.  I don't like him, I'm done, I don't care.  How dare he.  How dare he.  That child kicking, father murdering, make the Bridge Four salute to Kaladin after it, man can go to a storming volcano and take a long walk off a short platform.
  • And speaking of Kaladin, I've never wanted to hug him as much as I do in this moment.  This poor guy.
  • Does ch. 87's epigraph make anyone else think of Goodnight Moon?

Glad to see you are enjoying it! OB is one of my absolute favorite books, especially getting to see Dalinar's journey was great. And, without spoiling anything, keep thinking about the epigraphs from the gemstone archive. There is a lot of stuff going on there.

2 hours ago, SteelShaper said:

Glad to see you are enjoying it! OB is one of my absolute favorite books, especially getting to see Dalinar's journey was great. And, without spoiling anything, keep thinking about the epigraphs from the gemstone archive. There is a lot of stuff going on there.

Oh, I'm thinking about them.  I've got the Coppermind page open so I can look at all of them at once, part by part.  There's a lot there.

Edit

• So, Venli's got a spren.  Interesting.
  • I love how Adolin tries to help Kaladin. 
  • Szeth, finally!
  • Oh, Nightblood.  Consider me terrified.
  • I love Adolin's fashion talks.
  • Court of Gods.  Red painting.  It's the one Lightsong liked.
  • the illustration of the watch fabrial looks really cool.  I would wear it.
  • Re-Shephir is the source of the Midnight Essence from WOK
  • Azure is Vivenna, isn't she?
  • Ok.  Humans are Voidbringers and come from another planet.  A little explanation would be nice after that bombshell.

One more part to go!  Bring on the Sanderlanche.

Edit No. 2

• Lift is awesome, no pun intended.
  • Renarin had better not die!
  • DALINAR

I'm laughing and crying.

Stormfather, what's happening.

Perpendicularity?

• Kaladin didn't say the words and needs a hug.
  • Found the long chapter!
  • Double Shardblades, A-ram?  (I don't respect him enough to fully write out his name.)  I'll admit, that would look cool.
  • What's hapening to A-ram, because growing crystals out of your body isn't healthy.
  • Her name is Mayalaran.
  • This is very cinematic.
  • Renarin POV
  • YES TEFT
  • Moash?
  • Moash killed a Herald.  Wasn't expecting that.
  • Lopen: Dramatic
  • Shallan's brothers!

I finished the book!  What a ride.  I never cry during books, but I did when Dalinar said 'You cannot have my pain.'  It was so beautiful.  I have so many thoughts.  Shallan and Adolin are married?  Radiant and Veil can talk to Shallan?  Jasnah is the queen?  Kaladin didn't have his usual power-up either.  That was a really good choice.  I can't wait for the next book!

56 minutes ago, Nuatoma said:

Wow, did you read the last 2.5 parts in like 4 hours? Geez, I need to start storing up some zinc for RofW I guess so I can read that fast too!

Um...basically.  I read really fast.  I'm doing a summer reading program and am keeping track of my hours.  I think it took six?  I could be off there.

I did notice with this one there was a definite tone shift.  The first two were very, 'fantasy and magic powers, politics', and this was more, 'eldritch abominations from the depths of time'.

6 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Azure is Vivenna, isn't she?

Some answers since you finished the book.

Spoiler

Yes.

Perpendicularity?

Spoiler

Yep.  It is a singularity made of investiture as opposed to matter.  Kind of like a black hole.  You can travel between the three realms using one.  There is a permanent one in the horneater peaks.

What's hapening to A-ram, because growing crystals out of your body isn't healthy.

Spoiler

Side effect of his unmade power up.

Edited by Karger

Typically I'm a pretty fast reader,too. That's why I'm excited about the Tor chapter releases for the next book. Last time it forced to digest that entire first part slowly. I'm not used to having that kind of experience in reading. I think i noticed more detail, and i retained more of it long term, since i had all week to think about each 3 chapter block as it was released

8 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Um...basically.  I read really fast.  I'm doing a summer reading program and am keeping track of my hours.  I think it took six?  I could be off there.

I did notice with this one there was a definite tone shift.  The first two were very, 'fantasy and magic powers, politics', and this was more, 'eldritch abominations from the depths of time'.

You just read Oathbringer at over 20 words per second... I normally consider myself a fast reader but this is insane

On 6/20/2020 at 6:05 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

I never cry during books, but I did when Dalinar said 'You cannot have my pain.'  It was so beautiful. 

This one and "Teft, Knight Radiant" always gets me.

Also, The Lopen finally says the words as he is protecting a newly-one-armed man from the world. So, so good.