Skybreaker Ranks

Silverblade5

In most modern countries, distinctions are drawn between law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges, with each role being filled by separate, dedicated personnel. Do you guys think less radical Skybreakers would draw similar lines? Would being a judge for instance, require having sworn the fourth oath, while anyone who's sworn the third can prosecute? What do you guys think?

50 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

In most modern countries, distinctions are drawn between law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges, with each role being filled by separate, dedicated personnel. Do you guys think less radical Skybreakers would draw similar lines? Would being a judge for instance, require having sworn the fourth oath, while anyone who's sworn the third can prosecute? What do you guys think?

If that was the law then yes most Skybreakers would follow it.  Urithiru might have had a system like that.

The Skybreaker oaths are a bit contradictory for me. The 3rd ideal is to follow an someone else's law (making Dalinar both judge and jury), but to gain the forth you have to crusade, essentially following your own.

I know the truthwatchers are said to keep everyone honest though, so perhaps a court is something they would do.

3 hours ago, Cammac said:

The Skybreaker oaths are a bit contradictory for me. The 3rd ideal is to follow an someone else's law (making Dalinar both judge and jury), but to gain the forth you have to crusade, essentially following your own.

Remember that it is "...so long as Dalinar Kholin agrees."

2 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

It's important to keep in mind that the modern skybreakers are pretty messed up. I'd imagine in ancient times there would be a further divide. Some skybreakers are exclusively police, others exclusively judges, and so on.

It depends completely on whatever law is being followed. If the law required a separation, they would. If the law did not establish a separation, they wouldn't really care, at least not the group as a whole.