Do we know the timeline for when the current Radiants bonded their Spren?

Q10fanatic

Just like the topic says. Do we have a definitive timeline on when the modern radiants first started forming nahel bonds? I think Shallan is first but I can't find any clear information about Szeth. Jasnah's bond formed around the time of the assassination of Gavilar. Tien probably a few months before he was conscripted, Kaladin probably a few months after? Lift probably bonded Wyndle around this time, but Wyndle says the Cultivationspren decided to bond people after the other spren started doing it.

I haven't found anything definitive on Coppermind or in the WOBs.

Nothing truly "definitive" and the Timey Whimey nature of the spiritual bonds involved makes it even more difficult to pin down.  Shallan was very young, one of the first chronologically.  Szeth mentioned hearing a voice in his head in his youth, which many of us believe was a spren bond; however he wasnt made truthless until age 27 (two years before WoK) so it may have been more recent.  Jasnah has had hers for a long time as well, it had begun by the time of Galivar's death based on her shadow acting weird, but she didnt seem to know what was happening at the time.  Kaladin is more recent but Syl mentioned memories of him as far back as Amaram's army, which mean it either began long before he actually spoke any words, or the Spiritual Bond provided retroactive knowledge. Dalinar has only been since Gavilar's death, since the Stormfather sent Gavilar the visions first.  

It really depends.  A bond exists in the SR which is not a place of linear time.  If you go by when a reliable narrator would say that they noticed a spren around them then Shallan seems to be the first (that we know of) about ten years ago(ish) followed by a couple of unclear experiences by Jasnah and Tein(Jasnah's childhood illness leads people to suspect it could actually have been earlier) followed by Kaladin who in turn is followed by Lift and Renarin followed by Dalinar followed by Szeth then Teft then Skar then Drehy.  According to the GB however Nale has spent the past two decades at least hunting down radiants meaning we missed a few.  This is only a really rough guide though.

Not an exact date, but this may help

Questioner

When did Shallan take the First Oath?

Brandon Sanderson

That's been quite a while. She's been on this path longer than almost anybody. Jasnah's been going for a while. If you look at the timeline, I think Jasnah beats her. But she's been on this path for years.

Questioner

Do we get to find out when she took that First Oath?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I'm planning to delve into that. It's supposed to be a "Wait, What?" I'd have to look exactly at the timeline, Jasnah beats her.  Jasnah definitely beats her.

Questioner 2

<Are you sure?>

Brandon Sanderson

Maybe not. I'd have to look at the timelines. This is why I have Karen, to keep my timelines for me!

FanX 2018 (Sept. 6, 2018)

Oh, that's very interesting! So it appears that Jasnah was first but Shallan has had the bond since she was a child. So maybe Jasnah's mysterious mental illness when she was younger was the first sign of her own nascent bond. This seems to support that theory.

6 hours ago, Q10fanatic said:

Oh, that's very interesting! So it appears that Jasnah was first but Shallan has had the bond since she was a child. So maybe Jasnah's mysterious mental illness when she was younger was the first sign of her own nascent bond. This seems to support that theory.

Potentially yep. I am curious why no one followed up later to get a more definitive answer from Brandon. 

Side note, I have a personal theory (though it is very loose as there is not any concrete evidence supporting it, and some have stated it does not work this way) that Jasnah was suffering from a minor form of schizophrenia. That like John Nash Jr, Jasnah learned through logic to cope with the symptoms. Her use of logic to maintain a form of "sanity", is what I think attracted Ivory, that she ultimately meets the night of Gavilar's death. But like I said, at this point, it is a very tinfoil hat theory