Nazrilof?

Mat

So I was flipping though my copy of Arcanum Unbounded and I noticed, on the about the author page inside the back cover, next to Brandon's picture, was the name 'Nazrilof'

Someone has probably noticed this before, I was wondering- is this Nahz's name? Brandon has said that someone would pull out his real name from them someday. Did he put in that easter egg?

I attached a picture for convenience:

0[1].jpg

I'm not sure when the name first started appearing as a photo attribution, but we've known the name "Nazrilof" since at least 2014:

Questioner

What's his name, the one who sends the letter with pictures … Nazir?

Brandon Sanderson

What? Oh, Nazh? Yes, Nazrilof.

Questioner

He's not in the list of …

Brandon Sanderson

He appears in one place in that book.

Footnote: Nazh is confirmed to have made an appearance in Words of Radiance as the ardent trying to sketch the bridgemen.
Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014)

I don't think that's the "real name" Brandon was speaking about in the Shadows for Silence postscript, since it doesn't sound "Puritan":

Who would name their daughter Silence? Ir seemed one of those beautifully Puritan names that wouldn't fly in most settings - but it was perfect for Threnody. (Someday, someone will pull out of us what Nazh's real name is.)

And that postscript was a new addition to Arcanum Unbounded; my ebook version has a preface which contains some of that similar information, but no information about Nazh (but a few interesting bits about the development of Threnody). So by the time Brandon talked about Nazh's "real name," we'd already known his full name of Nazrilof for a number of years.

If you're interested in the out-of-universe history behind the name "Nazrilof," there was an interview with Isaac Stewart published a few days ago where he talks about it some: https://www.tor.com/2020/05/07/the-art-of-the-cosmere-an-interview-with-isaac-stewart/

4 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I don't think that's the "real name" Brandon was speaking about in the Shadows for Silence postscript, since it doesn't sound "Puritan":

Nazrilof most likely predates the Evil. No reason to assume that he shares the later naming conventions or culture.