Passion

Robot

Do you guys think there among the 16 shards there's a subgroup of them that are considered Passion shards? This WoB [Apparently I can't link the Arcanum] made me think that maybe passion is some sort of shared attribute among some "subtype" among the shards. I don't know how what the Stormfather said about Odium not having a monopoly on passion fits here, since Honor had it but then apparently lost it. Maybe the phrase "I am what makes men men" when labeling himself as Passion is important here too? Since shards can't really be considered human anymore could Passion be something keeping them from fully becoming their intent? I don't think so since Ruin seemed pretty far lost in his intent, but who knows.

WoB in question

Valhalla

Ruin and Odium, they both talked about their passion, and it was italicized both times. Would any other Shards talk about passion in that same italicized way?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes they would.

Valhalla

Would any of them not talk about it that way?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Excellent, good questions.

34 minutes ago, Robot said:

Do you guys think there among the 16 shards there's a subgroup of them that are considered Passion shards

First of all welcome and great name.  Second of all that is a lot.  I think you could have subcategories of shards that have an emotional intent in addition to a entirely physical one.  As to why some shards care about humans and some do not.  Think of a shard as a constant force like gravity that it takes a constant application of willpower to avoid succumbing to or falling down.  A shard is also limited by the cognitive make up or worldview of the holder.  A plural vessel like a hive mind for example might see their shard as actually many different specialized subshards.  Odium sees himself as the end all be all of the universe.  The most powerful force and the naturally dominant one.  I personally see this as arrogance and I think that evidence tends to back me up at least some of the time. At least as I understand it.

56 minutes ago, Robot said:

WoB in question

Valhalla

Ruin and Odium, they both talked about their passion, and it was italicized both times. Would any other Shards talk about passion in that same italicized way?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes they would.

Valhalla

Would any of them not talk about it that way?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Excellent, good questions.

I think its just a matter of The Vessels perception. Rayse hold Odium which brandon said in a WoB is "arguably that step toward just being all Passion" 

Rayse sees that Hatred as "Passion" because he probably sees that Intent as being very Passionate. So you can argue that he is "Passion" because thats how he views himself and perception is very important in the Cosmere. But he's still Odium because even thought he's filtering the intent of the Shard to view it as "Passion" he'll never leave an imprint on that shard and its Intent will never change.

Edited by Eternal Khol

17 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

I think its just a matter of The Vessels perception. Rayse hold Odium which brandon said in a WoB is "arguably that step toward just being all Passion" 

Rayse sees that Hatred as "Passion" because he probably sees that Intent as being very Passionate. So you can argue that he is "Passion" because thats how he views himself and perception is very important in the Cosmere. But he's still Odium because even thought he's filtering the intent of the Shard to view it as "Passion" he'll never leave an imprint on that shard and its Intent will never change.

Passion is defined as "strong and barely controllable emotion" it would make sense that shard holders would see themselves as being extremely passionate, since the 16 facets of Adonalsium personality that the shards seem to have been divided by (and named after) seem to overtake their holder's own personality and replace it with it's own single idea. With someone as arrogant as Rayse, they may see this change as themselves becoming the embodiment of all passion.

So in a way wouldn't all of the shardbearers (is that the right term?) be on that path towards being "all passion" of whatever facet they so happened to get, and none of what they were before?

Or I've gotten something wrong and everything I said is incomprehensible

• Chaos locked this topic