From Northampton to Urithiru via shadesmar

DustyFootSpren

Elantris is generally not the favourite of those who've completed the more recent Sanderson books, since he's developed a lot since then.

Elantris is an integral part of the Cosmere, yes: we'll have two more books from there, and important people/organizations originate from that world

5 hours ago, Karger said:

If all you care about is the cosmere implications then you can just read a summary.  Although I recommend that you try at least one more time.  Also welcome to the shard.

I've read most of Brandon's work it's just Elantris that I can't get into it. Also I'm new to the whole fantasy world and have only read Brandon's work, Gentleman bastard and kingkiller chronicles series. 

Going to finish Starsight then I might give Elantris another go. It's just so damnation hard to read.

54 minutes ago, DustyFootSpren said:

Going to finish Starsight then I might give Elantris another go. It's just so damnation hard to read.

Yeah it is not really up to the standards we have come to expect although the ending is pretty good.

Welcome! Whilst I am under the stance that every piece of Cosmere is essential to the full story, Sanderson writes in a way so well that it's not required reading (as yet anyway). I really liked Elantris, sure it's not a heist or SLA novel but it still had some great high points and characters that will always be faves (yes, Hrathen!)

It's really weird because I love all the Sanderson books, it's just Elantris I can't seem to read or at least enjoy reading as much as the others. I've just finished Starlight and would happily start all over again, with Elantris I think I've read the first two chapters twice or three times before I give up.

I don't think the book is bad or anything because I haven't actually read it, i think it may be me that's the problem rather than the book. I'm new to fantasy and have struggled to read some of the more popular books (lord of the rings especially) and maybe that's the problem. The first fantasy book I read to completion was The Final Empire, then I read the rest of Mistborn, era one and two. Then I read the rest of Sanderson stuff including the short novella (except Elantris), when I discovered Hoid was in most of the books I went back and read them all again (my new found obsession, Fantasy, where have you been all my life). 

Everyone has books that it's harder for them to get into. For me, it was Warbreaker that took me a few tries to get into. However, since reading it, it has developed into one of my favorite Sanderson books. 

I enjoyed Elantris, as I found it charming, but it certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.