Lifespren, windspren and Shardplate

Spaceferring

We all know that our favorite depressed Windrunner attracts a bunch of windspren while doing funky shenanigans.

We also have this part in Edgedancer when Lift grows a tree and attracts an abnormal amount of lifespren.

So then, are lifespren to cultivationspren the same as windspren to honorspren?

There's a WoB out there that states that the windspren are relevant to the manifestation of Shardplate for Kaladin, could the same be said for Lift and lifespren? To me it makes sense because I don't think a Radiant spren has enough Investiture to manifest both as Blade and Plate, so they need some similar, lesser spren to form up Shardplate.

So then would there be not one, but two types ofspren per Order? One for the Nahel Bond, and the other one attracted by the Knight's Surgebinding?

For Lightweavers, my candidate would be creationspren, as we have multiple scenes in which Shallan draws for a while and attracts more creationspren than she had ever seen.

A tentative one for Dustbringers would be flamespren, maybe? We haven't seen many of them in action though.

For Bondsmiths, I would go with gloryspren, pretty obviously. And then there's that scene after the Battle of Thaylen City, when Jasnah is surrounded by geometric-looking spren.

Anyway, this list could probably be extended a while, but I think we should pay attention to sequences where a Radiant attracts a lot of lesser spren, more than usual.

Thoughts on my wacky, barely-founded theory?

1 hour ago, Debarra said:

I quite like it and take it may be the case myself.

I believe the Soren your referring to for Jasnah are called Logicspren by the way.

Logicspren look like little stormclouds so they weren't that, but that's assuming they were spren. One theory is that she was dismissing her Shardplate.

Those spren also show up in the Herald portraits for the matching Heralds.

3 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

One theory is that she was dismissing her Shardplate.

That is my point: we know that a Shardblade is one Radiant spren, so I'm basically saying that Shardplate is a multitude of lesser spren that are also affiliated with that order, so you would see some sort of after image after dissmissing Shardplate, which would be the common appearance of the spren in question.

Maybe someone should ask Brandon what living Shardplate looks like when one of the pieces explode or if it is in any way different to dead Shardplate upon shattering.

In Jasnah's case, I don't think we have seen those spren named on-screen, but I would maybe go with mathspren?

3 hours ago, Nellac said:

This idea has been thrown around a lot and I think it makes a lot of sense. Here's a link to the thread here I shared what I thought would happen with these lesser spren.

Oh sorry, hadn't read that :blink:

I didn't mean to steal your theory, sorry again!

2 hours ago, Spaceferring said:

Oh sorry, hadn't read that :blink:

I didn't mean to steal your theory, sorry again!

That's not what I'm saying at all. I think it's fine you posted that. I was just throwing this out there in case you or anyone else wanted to dive a little deeper into other theories related to this one

9 hours ago, RShara said:

Can you link this?

I can't right now because I'm on kindle, but it is entry 54 in Firefight San Francisco Signing. (I think it's on page 3 or 4 of the events list?)

Now that I look back at it though, it doesn't really confirm it, Brandon just says more or less "You are asking the right questions."

To expand on @Nellac 's theory, what if every single piece of Plate is one lesser spren? I believe it has been confirmed that spren can manifest just as one continuous piece of metal.

Now it makes sense to me why Shardplate shatters, while Blades don't: the bond is probably weaker and lesser spren in general have less Investiture.

Also, what do you guys think is the reason for when the connecting pieces shatter, the ones on the end become useless? How does there growing of Plate even work with that in consideration? Do they attract new spren like in fabrials, or do they feed the original ones with enough Investiture so they can manifest as metals again?

At the risk of throwing a slight wrench into the theory(though a very small one): What about that scene in OB where Kal attracts some Glory Spren and Syl hits one of them, saying "Mine!"

For clarification, this happens when Kaladin is scouting things out and he tries to save a bunch of people during the high storm.

53 minutes ago, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

At the risk of throwing a slight wrench into the theory(though a very small one): What about that scene in OB where Kal attracts some Glory Spren and Syl hits one of them, saying "Mine!"

For clarification, this happens when Kaladin is scouting things out and he tries to save a bunch of people during the high storm.

Yeah I remember that one, I think Syl is just jealous of him attracting other spren than her or her"cousins". If I recall correctly, he just drew a few of them, not abnormal amounts.

By the way, in that scene, aren't there also a ton of windspren? 

• Chaos locked this topic