Hoid and Kelsier

Curiosity

We have WoB that "Hoid and Kelsier do not get along. At all." The context seems to indicate that they would want to kill each other. How did they meet in the first place and why wouldn't they like each other?

My theory is that they've simply bumped into each other in the Cognitive Realm, where Kelsier hangs out after he died. However, why they would have reason to hate each other is a mystery to me. 

Thoughts?

I've spoken of this before, and essentially, I think it's because Hoid intended for Ruin to be released, which of course would go against Kelsier's wishes of restoring Scadrial + protecting those he cares about. 

I've spoken of this before, and essentially, I think it's because Hoid intended for Ruin to be released, which of course would go against Kelsier's wishes of restoring Scadrial + protecting those he cares about. 

I like that thought, maybe Kel isnt happy with whatever shenanigans were involved in Hoid snagging himself some learsium in WoA, even though this is before Kel is keeping Perservation safe it might have rubbed him the wrong way... ?

Hoid tells a joke about how he can think of nothing worse than a man who tries to change things on a large scale. It's funny, because it's what he's doing, but it also applies as a criticism as Kelsier. Kelsier is also something of a psychopath, and enjoyed killing. Hoid is opposed to the whole killing thing, so it's possible he dislikes Kelsier for that.

This is pretty much echoed in WoR when Hoid is talking to Dalinar.

Wit smiled.  "I am but a man, Dalinar, so much as I wish it were not true at times.  I am no Radiant.  And while I am your friend, please understand that our goals do not completely align.  You must not trust yourself with me.  If I have to watch this world crumble and burn to get what I need, I will do so.  With tears, yes, but I would let it happen."

I don't think Kelsier would've taken that statement as well as Dalinar did.

Hoid tells a joke about how he can think of nothing worse than a man who tries to change things on a large scale. It's funny, because it's what he's doing, but it also applies as a criticism as Kelsier. Kelsier is also something of a psychopath, and enjoyed killing. Hoid is opposed to the whole killing thing, so it's possible he dislikes Kelsier for that.

Hoid and Kelsier both would burn whole worlds to achieve their goals so that's not exactly the thing there. We haven't seen Hoid kill anyone but that's either because we don't get much of his story or he simply can't harm people directly. Kelsier will do anything for survival of mankind, while Hoid will destroy mankind for whatever his goal is. At least that's as much as we know so far and that seems a good reason for them to dislike each other.

Hoid and Kelsier both would burn whole worlds to achieve their goals so that's not exactly the thing there. We haven't seen Hoid kill anyone but that's either because we don't get much of his story or he simply can't harm people directly. Kelsier will do anything for survival of mankind, while Hoid will destroy mankind for whatever his goal is. At least that's as much as we know so far and that seems a good reason for them to dislike each other.

I don't disagree with anything you said, really, but I do have a quibble: Hoid doesn't say he'd destroy or burn worlds to get what he wants, he says he would let it happen. A pretty important distinction. Also, we do know that Hoid can't/won't harm people directly via WoB, Hoid himself in WoR, and Rock in WoR.

I don't disagree with anything you said, really, but I do have a quibble: Hoid doesn't say he'd destroy or burn worlds to get what he wants, he says he would let it happen. A pretty important distinction. Also, we do know that Hoid can't/won't harm people directly via WoB, Hoid himself in WoR, and Rock in WoR.

Same here but the fact that he will 'let it happen' can be explained by that WoB as well :D

Kel doesn't like Hoid, because he says Hoid as a little twerp that's meddling in the universe, but could be directing his actions more usefully. Hoid doesn't like Kel because he sees a psychopath that was so single minded that he nearly helped get the world destroyed (indirectly, but still did.). That's just speculation.

Of course, it could just be pride, and each are to much alike to get along. I bet I'd really get annoyed with myself.

I don't know, with the kind of power we know hoid to have, he could easily solve all the plots by himself. he could have defeated the lord ruler easily, he could have stopped the listeners from getting stormform. but he prefer to act subtly. maybe it's that. I admit it's not a great explanation of why jelsier dislike hoid; however, if I had to hate hoid, I'd pick that reason.

• Chaos locked this topic