Who is Your Favorite Character?

Obnoxiousspren

(Inspired by the Least Favorite Character thread)

Which Stormlight characters are your favorite? It could be because of their story arcs, quotes, intriguing mysteries, whatever. But I’m curious to know who is your favorite and the reason they are.

While I love all the main characters (yes that includes Shallan) I’m gonna stick to some less prominent ones to make it interesting. I’ll throw out Skar as one of my favorites. For one thing, he’s one of the most skilled in bridge 4. Also, he’s a teacher and his short  arc in Oathbringer is one of my favorite chapters.

Alright there’s one of mine, fire away!

My favorite characters are Jasnah, and Renarin with Szeth starting to grow on me.

Jasnah: Wrote a whole long thread on the depth of the character. She is an atheist who stands for her beliefs in a religious world. She is a feminist in a world that wants to codify people by sex and eye color. She is an intellectual with a vunerable side. And finally she has my favorite power system, transformation and transportation.

Renarin: That poor kid has been through so much, yet he still loves his family dearly. He is genuine and tries his hardest to overcome a society and culture that is tailor built to despise him. He is lowkey smart, and resourceful, helping his family succeed on multiple occasions (Dalinar's visions, the countdown, the thunderclast), and once he figures things out, I think his combination of future sight and regeneration will be epic

Szeth: At first I wasn't big on the character for constantly pushing off responsibility to the owner of the oathstone. Yes he claimed the deaths were his fault, but I still think by saying he is forced to do it by the oathstone, was pushing off responsibility. But as of the end of Words of Radiance and Oathbringer, he has begun to take responsibility and work on growing. Also cannot wait to see the interaction between gravitation and division. 

I have list and different "ranks".

First place belongs to one single person: Kaladin, undisputed by the end of OB and even one of my favourite fictional characters ever.

Next level is divided into two groups:
Group one are Renarin, Jasnah, Adolin & Lift. These four have the chance to come close to Kaladin. Especially Renarin.
Group two are Dalinar, Hoid, Syl and Shallan.

One level down are Bridge Four (namely Teft, Rock, Lopen, Sigzil, Rlain), Szeth, Navani and a few others I genuinely like.

Might change with the coming books :)

Edited by Winds Alight

I actually ranked my favorite characters just a few days ago. Here goes:

1. KaladinOf course Kaladin was going to be number one, because just like @Honorless, he is what drew me in in the first place and the character I care about most. I love his character arc, from surgeon to soldier to leader to savior to slave to bridgeman to hero to captain to Knight Radiant. And he’s not done yet. But his (nonexistent) overall happiness makes me sad.
  2. Dalinar. This dude has been through a lot but has, I think, come the farthest spiritually, thanks to the help of the Nightwatcher. At first I found his parts and presence in The Way of Kings somewhat boring, but I have grown to respect this man greatly.
  3. Lift. Yeah, yeah, sorry Shallan, you're not all bad. But I never know what to expect from Lift, only that it will be unexpected. I find her unique abilities entertaining and her unique take on her unique abilities equally entertaining.

4 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

I actually ranked my favorite characters just a few days ago. Here goes:

1. KaladinOf course Kaladin was going to be number one, because just like @Honorless, he is what drew me in in the first place and the character I care about most. I love his character arc, from surgeon to soldier to leader to savior to slave to bridgeman to hero to captain to Knight Radiant. And he’s not done yet. But his (nonexistent) overall happiness makes me sad.
  2. Dalinar. This dude has been through a lot but has, I think, come the farthest spiritually, thanks to the help of the Nightwatcher. At first I found his parts and presence in The Way of Kings somewhat boring, but I have grown to respect this man greatly.
  3. Lift. Yeah, yeah, sorry Shallan, you're not all bad. But I never know what to expect from Lift, only that it will be unexpected. I find her unique abilities entertaining and her unique take on her unique abilities equally entertaining.

I agree with pretty much everything here. For me, Rock/Lunamor would be up there as well. He is really fleshed out for a side character and I am really excited to hear more about his backstory. Also, this thing, every time he speaks he makes me laugh.

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

Kaladin without a doubt. His was the story that drew me in and the character I'm most invested in.

“...most invested in.” Pun intended? ;)

1 hour ago, Karger said:
  • Jasnah(my celebrity crush)
  • Shallan(my fellow lightweaver)
  • Dalinar(the coolest there is)
  • Elhokar(who is me)

Oh gosh I totally forgot about Elhokar. He holds the place in my heart of having one of the best drastic character changes in all of literature. He went from one of the most frustrating and annoying people to the most sincere and easy-to-root for underdog in the books. Which is why Brandon completely ripped my heart out with the Kholinar arc in Oathbringer :’(

Edited by Obnoxiousspren
Clarified an idea as an opinion

My favourite character is kaladin because of course he is the stormblessed bridgeboy!!!

after that comes Dalinar- because he does these amazing things when he is really pushed In a corner by someone I just love reading about such moments, 

Adolin - because he is a really genuinely nice person and an excellent judge of character, which is something I highly respect in people irl too, 

Jasnah - again I like that she is almost always right and tries to do the right thing the pragmatic thing but has a heart of gold too,

Teft and rock - because their trio with kaladin was just awesome to read about in twok.. 

next would come Renarin - I always knew that he is someone who is going to be important later in the series, I mean when someone like Hoid tells you “ he is more strong than you give him credit for” well you pay attention! 
wit - because he is wit

and lift - because she changed my mind about her when I terras the Edgedancer 

then the rest of bridge 4 including the newbies 

7 hours ago, Obnoxiousspren said:

I’ll throw out Skar as one of my favorites. For one thing, he’s one of the most skilled in bridge 4. Also, he’s a teacher and his short  arc in Oathbringer is one of my favorite chapters.

I thought I was the only one.. :) I really liked Skar, something about his pov just struck with me.. I liked how he was so vulnerable and yet found it in him to help others and still not feel jealousy.. and just when he let go of his insecurities, he started glowing..I was so happy for him..

Hmm and then there is shallan 

Edited by The traveller

Well, its no secret that I love Amaram. I read him as a tragic villain, and find him interesting. If anyone wants more on that, check out the Disliked character thread where I recently went a few rounds with Pathfinder on the subject.

Aside from him, I really love Dalinar after reading Oathbringer. His arc in that book is my favorite in any Cosmere book, I think. I also really like Nale (easily fascinated by the justice-obsessed characters). Another one I like is Mraize, even tough I’m convinced that he will be a very hateable character once we learn more of him. Taln, Rysn, Axies and Pattern are also favorites of mine, with Szeth starting to grow on me in OB. 

I also wanna throw Jenet the horsemaster in here, even though she only appeared once. I really liked her personality. 

Pattern, Syl, and Wyndle. Not as big on Ivory, but we haven't seen him as much. Nightblood is also there (although it isn't his only appearance, I like him better with Szeth than Vasher. Vasher never seemed to take him seriously as a consciousness, but Szeth treats him as more of an equal).

The spren don't get enough love.

To me, these kind of characters are what makes the SA great. Lot of books have magic, but only some have magic plus a glowy/shapey/viney/inky/smoky friend that comes with.

6 hours ago, Config2 said:

The spren don't get enough love.

To me, these kind of characters are what makes the SA great. Lot of books have magic, but only some have magic plus a glowy/shapey/viney/inky/smoky friend that comes with.

I’m sorry, but for some reason your post made me think of...

34479D22-735F-422A-AEBC-FCE04A1CDD4E.gif.4e50c3a34d65347cc4ee045efc1fbf51.gif... which cracked me up!

Seriously though, you are so right to point out the spren. Syl is fantastic and fun to read, but so far my favorite might be Pattern. I mean, I’m sure we will learn more, but all the Spren just keep telling people how dangerous and scary the Cryptics are and Pattern is just like “dividing by zero is inappropriate!”

Edited by Obnoxiousspren
Picture didn’t load

I have suffered through the story at Kaladin's side from the beginning on and there's just no forgetting that experience. He's my favorite character. He was by the end of Way of Kings and every book continued adding more conflict and depth, bringing him even further along his path. Simply stunning. Dare I say, he raised the bar for me in terms of character depth in fantasy in general.

Then, of course, Dalinar, who feels like a character I've always known and only waited to find in a book. It's very weird, since Brandon always says the same about him, just from the writer's perspective. He was a pillar of trust for two novels (very refreshing in a world of traitors) before Oathbringer added new layers of depth and tragedy.

Then it gets tough. I'm not sure if Wit counts since he's technically more of a Cosmere character instead of a Stormlight character, but he's very prominent in the books, so I guess you can rank him up there. Same goes for Zahel. Then there's Szeth and Jasnah which I adore for how original they feel, for very different reasons. Renarin and, to a lesser extend, Lift are two characters I can't wait to see what Brandon does with them in future novels! The potential! The mere thought of flashback books devoted to them in the second pentalogy! It's very exciting.

The spren are a special case, since first and foremost, they function as support of their respective Radianct character. They do a great job at that though, and most of them are adorable at that. I agree that they are underrated. Syl has always been there on the journey due to her being crucial to everything Kaladin does, so she's close to my heart as well. Pattern and Wyndle are up there just as well, though.

The sheer density of amazing characters in this series is unreal. It's got just as many of those as the rest of the Cosmere put together, which is insane if you consider that Mistborn is part of that - a series that really impressed me character-wise back when I first read it before Stormlight. I know I'm on the line of sounding like a rabid fan, but man, in some ways Brandon plays a game of his own, a level above the rest.

Probably pretty typical but my favorite is definitely Kaladin. A lot of who he is, I feel like I can personally relate to. Then I just love some of the epic moments and quotes that we get from him as well. Him dropping into the arena to join Adolin, chills everytime. Uttering the oath, "I will protect even those I hate so long as it is right," and saving Elhokar from the assassination attempt, one of my favorite scenes in general.

Besides Kaladin, two people come to mind, Szeth and Nale. I wasn't a huge fan of Szeth at first, but now with him joining the Skybreakers and being in possesion of Nightblood, I'm very interested in seeing how the story will progress. Nale being the leader of the Skybreakers, his choices and his morals, I find him to be an incredibly interesting character and I really want more of him to read. 

• Chaos locked this topic