Allomancer Jak is a Feruchemist.

NameIess

In ''Allomancer Jak and the pits of Eltania'' Jak supposedly survives a deadly fall, uses a vein of tin that he finds on a cavern wall to enhance his senses, and uses one lungful of air to lift a heavy metal box. the only two ways that he could do all of these are either him ''exaggerating'' a little, or he could be a full feruchemist. He also talks of other feats of strength or skill, which could be easily explained by Jak being a Feruchemist, what do you think?

I think it's mostly a case of him exaggerating. I highly doubt he would be a full Feruchemist in any case, since he has A-Tin and I believe we have a WOB that you would need to be a Lerasium-strength Allomancer and a born Feruchemist to not have the two genetic pathways conflict. I also doubt that Wax's grandmother wouldn't know if he truly was a full Feruchemist, since she tracks the Feruchemical and Terris bloodlines. His Ferring friend/assistant also would have noticed, and there's no hint of that. Jak also doesn't seem to be the kind of person to not use that for the Era 2 equivalent of clickbait on his stories. 

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Feruchemical and Terris bloodlines. His Ferring friend/assistant also would have noticed, and there's no hint of that. Jak also doesn't seem to be the kind of person to not use that for the Era 2 equivalent of clickbait on his stories. 

Or just become a professional famous person.

11 hours ago, Invocation said:

I highly doubt he would be a full Feruchemist in any case, since he has A-Tin and I believe we have a WOB that you would need to be a Lerasium-strength Allomancer and a born Feruchemist to not have the two genetic pathways conflict

If jak is a full feruchemist, then he wouldn't need A-tin, he could use feruchemy to the same effect. For example, in that in the newspaper story were Jak is confrtonted by a man who mistakes him for Wax, he could have used F-zinc to the same effect.

12 hours ago, Invocation said:

His Ferring friend/assistant also would have noticed, and there's no hint of that. Jak also doesn't seem to be the kind of person to not use that for the Era 2 equivalent of clickbait on his stories. 

What better way to get people to ignore your exploits than to pretend to be a narcissistic fool?

We have a WoB that Jak embellishes his abilities for the attention to his stories. Give me a moment to pull it up. 

Stormlightning

Is the bird that talked to Allomancer Jak a kandra?

Brandon Sanderson

Haha, RAFO. Allomancer Jak thinks that it probably must be.

Stormlightning

Are you gonna say if it's an Aviar?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to say Allomancer Jak has a strange blend of trustworthiness and not. He doesn't think that he's lying when he says things.

FanX Spring 2019 (April 19, 2019)

Questioner

Broadsheets of Bands of Mourning. The story that Allomancer Jak's sidekick... in it, there's this <part>, "After disembarking the the lift, I walked to the location where my foe would have hit the ground. I found no trace of him, and though no one witnessed his fall, a young white-haired man was there and offered to tell me a story. I declined." Is that Hoid?

Brandon Sanderson

So, there's a reference to a young white-haired man offering to tell a story. Whenever those words combine together, chances are very, very good that Hoid is involved. Yes, that is Hoid, but one thing I have to tell you is, not everything in that story... you are getting a story which was written by somebody, and then turned into a thing for a broadsheet. So, there have been some inaccuracies perpetuated in the broadsheets. So, yes, that's where that came from.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

Oudeis

I loved Nazh's "cameo" in the Nikki Savage story of Bands of Mourning. I especially like the touch of the map with the ripped edge in the book. Did the events really happen in the book as she describes in her broadsheet piece, or was the actual meeting punched up a bit for drama?

Isaac Stewart

Thanks for your kind words on the Nikki Savage story. I hope we get to see her again. Since she's learning the art of storytelling from Allomancer Jak, I suspect her version of events was slightly embellished. :)

Oudeis

Well she has been in two of the stories so far, so fingers crossed!

Isaac Stewart

I'm blanking on this just a little bit. Which was the second story she was in?

Oudeis

In Shadows of Self, there was a broadsheet article about a woman in the southern mountains who ran into a strange red and black person by a placid pool. Her name was [Nicelle] Sauvage, and I admittedly made a bit of an assumption that she and [Nicki] Savage are the same woman.

Isaac Stewart

You are exactly right! She did appear in the Shadows of Self broadsheet. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Oudeis

The name adaptation threw me off, I only picked it up this last time I read through it in my epic-cosmere-re-read leading up to Oathbringer.

I do have to admit, while pretty cool, the dashing stranger who tried to kill a nice woman and destroyed public property in the sky above a metropolis using unknown arcana seemed... a little out-of-character for Nazh as we've otherwise seen him.

Isaac Stewart

[Nicki] added some extra drama to her version of events to make it more interesting. I don't think Nazh would've tried to kill her, though he might want her to think that he was. He's easily annoyed by those who get in the way of his missions, even if they're just nosy adventurers. :)

Footnote: Nicelle Sauvage is mentioned in the "Visitors From Other Worlds" article in "The House Record" broadsheet. Nicki Savage is mentioned in "The Ghastly Gondola!" article in "The New Ascendancy" broadsheet.
Shire Post Mint Mistborn Coin AMA (Oct. 26, 2017)
Edited by Pathfinder

27 minutes ago, Llstml said:

If jak is a full feruchemist, then he wouldn't need A-tin, he could use feruchemy to the same effect. For example, in that in the newspaper story were Jak is confrtonted by a man who mistakes him for Wax, he could have used F-zinc to the same effect.

He would need multiple zincminds to do the same thing as one time period of burning Allomantic tin, since Feruchemical tin is sorted by the individual sense.

28 minutes ago, Llstml said:

What better way to get people to ignore your exploits than to pretend to be a narcissistic fool?

If his goal is to get people to ignore him, he wouldn't be publishing them in the broadsheets in the first place. That's the flaw there, because otherwise you'd have a point.

5 hours ago, Invocation said:

He would need multiple zincminds to do the same thing as one time period of burning Allomantic tin, since Feruchemical tin is sorted by the individual sense.

F-zinc increases speed of thought, he could have used it to think more quickly, noticing things that you would normally be too distracted by having a gun held on you to notice.

5 hours ago, Invocation said:

If his goal is to get people to ignore him, he wouldn't be publishing them in the broadsheets in the first place. That's the flaw there, because otherwise you'd have a point.

People are going to hear about the things that he does, even if he doesn't talk about them. Look at Wax, he doesn't brag about himself, but there is an archive of all of his exploits, and people know that he is a twinborn. Jak knows this, and so he pretends to be an arrogant fool, and sends his stories to the broadsheets, so that when people think about him, they either think: "what a dashing adventurer, and a tineye too" or if they are smart: "what a blowhard, tin can't do that, he's making this up" not: "I wonder how that Jak guy does all that stuff, a tineye can't do that" even Wax thinks of him as a fool.

6 hours ago, Llstml said:

People are going to hear about the things that he does, even if he doesn't talk about them. Look at Wax, he doesn't brag about himself, but there is an archive of all of his exploits

I don't think your comparison is valid.  Wax's exploits are a matter of public record because as a law man he is expected to file reports that the public can review.  IE when he started he would have to tern in his captives with his name to claim the bounty.  The kind of deep cover you are suggestion simply does not seem practical.  If he wants to avoid public scrutiny I am sure that the Teris Elders would hide him.  Also we don't know how fereuchemy manifests but it seems like it happens fairly young so someone should have found out about it(like Wax's grandmother whose job it is to found out this stuff).

Stormlightning

Is the bird that talked to Allomancer Jak a kandra?

Brandon Sanderson

Haha, RAFO. Allomancer Jak thinks that it probably must be.

Stormlightning

Are you gonna say if it's an Aviar?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to say Allomancer Jak has a strange blend of trustworthiness and not. He doesn't think that he's lying when he says things.

Jak fills his coppermind with all of his memories relating to Feruchemy before writing his accounts, obviously. Then when he is finished, he has one of his fellow conspirators, either Handerwym or Elizandra, give him his coppermind, allowing him to regain his memories.

16 hours ago, Karger said:

I don't think your comparison is valid.  Wax's exploits are a matter of public record because as a law man he is expected to file reports that the public can review.  IE when he started he would have to tern in his captives with his name to claim the bounty.  The kind of deep cover you are suggestion simply does not seem practical.  If he wants to avoid public scrutiny I am sure that the Teris Elders would hide him.  Also we don't know how fereuchemy manifests but it seems like it happens fairly young so someone should have found out about it(like Wax's grandmother whose job it is to found out this stuff).

Wax didn't have to give them a detailed description of how he captured them, he just had to bring them in dead or alive. I agree that the general public might not know much about him, bu there would still be rumors, and certain groups, (the Teris elders, the government, or the set) might take interest and interfere in whatever it is he is doing. As for the Teris elders... they don't approve of violence, and are too righteous to give him refuge, they might not turn him in, but they certainly wouldn't welcome him in. Look at Wax, he is the grandson of a Teris elder, and a metalborn, but because he decided to become a lawman, they treat him with a lot of hostility, even though he does a lot of good. What would they think of Jak, who uses his powers for violence and personal gain?

38 minutes ago, Llstml said:

Wax didn't have to give them a detailed description of how he captured them, he just had to bring them in dead or alive

Depends.  Many criminals might have been wanted alive and whatever legal system existed my have had detailed interrogations of Wax regarding his capture.  "What was this man doing when you caught him?  Robbing this train car.  Are there any other witnesses?  Three sir.  The conductor and two passengers..."  He also would likley have swapped tips with other lawmen and it may have been to his advantage to publicize certain of his exploits. 

41 minutes ago, Llstml said:

As for the Teris elders... they don't approve of violence, and are too righteous to give him refuge, they might not turn him in, but they certainly wouldn't welcome him in.

They would still hide him if he asked.

Also

42 minutes ago, Llstml said:

. What would they think of Jak, who uses his powers for violence and personal gain

On 10/23/2019 at 10:19 AM, Llstml said:

On 10/23/2019 at 10:28 AM, Pathfinder said:

I'm going to say Allomancer Jak has a strange blend of trustworthiness and not. He doesn't think that he's lying when he says things.

How to you reconcile these three statements?

That WoB is actually evidence for my theory, Jak thinks that he is being truthful, but that is because he puts all of his memories pertaining to the feruchemy he used to survive the event in a coppermind before writing it down, possibly decreasing his intelligence as well, although that might not be possible without himself figuring out that he is a Feruchemist, making himself lie.

15 hours ago, Llstml said:

That WoB is actually evidence for my theory, Jak thinks that he is being truthful, but that is because he puts all of his memories pertaining to the feruchemy he used to survive the event in a coppermind before writing it down, possibly decreasing his intelligence as well, although that might not be possible without himself figuring out that he is a Feruchemist, making himself lie.

And this one?

Brandon Sanderson

So, there's a reference to a young white-haired man offering to tell a story. Whenever those words combine together, chances are very, very good that Hoid is involved. Yes, that is Hoid, but one thing I have to tell you is, not everything in that story... you are getting a story which was written by somebody, and then turned into a thing for a broadsheet. So, there have been some inaccuracies perpetuated in the broadsheets. So, yes, that's where that came from.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:28 AM, Pathfinder said:

Oudeis

In Shadows of Self, there was a broadsheet article about a woman in the southern mountains who ran into a strange red and black person by a placid pool. Her name was [Nicelle] Sauvage, and I admittedly made a bit of an assumption that she and [Nicki] Savage are the same woman.

Shire Post Mint Mistborn Coin AMA (Oct. 26, 2017)

Waaaait, so there's been a Singer on Scadrial?

8 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Brandon Sanderson

So, there's a reference to a young white-haired man offering to tell a story. Whenever those words combine together, chances are very, very good that Hoid is involved. Yes, that is Hoid, but one thing I have to tell you is, not everything in that story... you are getting a story which was written by somebody, and then turned into a thing for a broadsheet. So, there have been some inaccuracies perpetuated in the broadsheets. So, yes, that's where that came from.

That WoB is not pertaining to Jak specifically, it pertains to the broadsheets. Jak doesn't think that he is lying when he writes the story, because he puts all of the memories that involve Feruchemy.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:30 PM, Quantus said:

Waaaait, so there's been a Singer on Scadrial?

For a long time that was the assumption, but it was a red herring revealed to be a southern scadrian. 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:39 PM, Llstml said:

That WoB is not pertaining to Jak specifically, it pertains to the broadsheets. Jak doesn't think that he is lying when he writes the story, because he puts all of the memories that involve Feruchemy.

The reason I posted the WoBs I did in the order I did, is because 

1. the fact of whether or not the bird is a kandra or aviar is immaterial, because we cannot take what he says as reliable

2. to take all broad sheet stories with a grain of salt as they are written with the intention of building drama

3. when asked if Nikki's story really did go the way she said it, it is confirmed her version is embellished because she is taking a cue from Jak. 

4. this is confirmed further through the last WoB because it states she adds extra drama to her stories

So for myself, the stream of logic is because of the WoB we know:

1. Nikki adds extra drama to her stories for the readership so her stories are not accurate

2. Since she learned this from allomancer Jak, it is reasonable to expect he does the same thing.

3. Since we also know the people who take the embellished stories from Nikki and Jak, further embellish it for the readership, we can further assume the stories are inaccurate.

4. Finally Jak himself even when he thinks he is being truthful is not.

An aside to add is we have the Allomancer Jak stories where Handwyn comments and edits the stories on the inaccuracies. He makes a point to bring up Jak's love interest is not as head over heels as Jak lets on, and if she knew how Jak portrayed her in the stories, she would kill him. So regarding Handwyn I do not think

1. that given how often he is around Jak, that he wouldn't know jak was a feruchemist

2. if Jak was actually a feruchemist, that Handwyn in his comments would keep it secret, considering he was exposing a whole bunch of other inaccuracies. 

All of this combined says to me that we cannot take what Jak says as reliable, so we should not trust what he says about his powers. Now you feel that means he could have other powers. Personally I disagree and in this case I think "the butler really did do it". But to each their own. I wish you luck with your theory

• Chaos locked this topic