Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

2 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

Do any of y'all write on tracing, onionskin, or vellum paper?  If not, why not?

No because I generally have no use case for it. Herlitz paper is good and cheap, and I have TR and Midori for when I want to be a bit more fancy with shading.

1 hour ago, Cyclops said:

Do any of y'all write on tracing, onionskin, or vellum paper?  If not, why not?

I bought two packs of oddball onionskin paper years ago.  One has black numbers from 1 to whatever almost flish with the lefthand margin.  The other has two indented red lines down the page, one on each margin.

I was pleasantly surprised that they take fountain pen ink… but you can't write on both sides.

I've tried tracing paper… unimpressed.  By vellum, what sort do you mean? (I probably have). 

Any particular reason for asking?

4 hours ago, Kasimir said:

No because I generally have no use case for it. Herlitz paper is good and cheap, and I have TR and Midori for when I want to be a bit more fancy with shading.

3 hours ago, Coolmint said:

I bought two packs of oddball onionskin paper years ago.  One has black numbers from 1 to whatever almost flish with the lefthand margin.  The other has two indented red lines down the page, one on each margin.

I was pleasantly surprised that they take fountain pen ink… but you can't write on both sides.

I've tried tracing paper… unimpressed.  By vellum, what sort do you mean? (I probably have). 

Any particular reason for asking?

I'll have to look up Herlitz, as I'm not familiar with that name.

I ask just because I'm looking for inexpensive ways to experiment with writing on thin papers.  That's all.

20 hours ago, Cyclops said:

I'll have to look up Herlitz, as I'm not familiar with that name.

Herlitz wouldn't be thin. There are two varieties here, but the ones from...I kind of want to say the ones not from China, but I can't remember if it's their China or Indonesian line - are bad, feathering and all. The other one is fine, cheap, and takes ink like a champ.

20 hours ago, Cyclops said:

I ask just because I'm looking for inexpensive ways to experiment with writing on thin papers.  That's all.

Ah. Sorry, can't help you there. I do have a sample of egret (?) paper from Lennon Toolbar and a couple of Taobao calligraphy papers but it's easier for me to get my hands on those because of our connection to the Chinese market.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:57 AM, Coolmint said:

Sounds frustrating.  I would suspect an air leak somewhere.  Maybe a crack in the cartridge or converter lip (I've had those a couple of times), or the c/c isn't seated firmly.  

On 10/22/2022 at 2:46 AM, Coolmint said:

Do you have a loupe to check for micro cracks?  And when you say 'constantly leaking,' is this just when you're writing or is there ink in the cap the first time you take it off

Double-posting to thank you!

I rechecked, and tried a new converter. Still leaked. Long story short, realised it was a very thin crack in the housing (it's transparent), so the loupe wasn't enough, but I uncovered it via a flashlight. No more leaking, thank goodness. But I'll need to pick up more spare parts...

• 1 month later...

Situation:  I accidentally knocked the nib of my Metropolitan against the edge of my desk.  Not real hard, but it doesn't take much.  It's been writing very "scratchily" ever since.  I can't tell if something broke off, but it sure feels like it.

Question:  Is it worth sending to a nibmiester to fix (if even fixable), or more cost effective to just buy another pen?  Maybe a cheaper one and switch out the nibs?

6 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

Situation:  I accidentally knocked the nib of my Metropolitan against the edge of my desk.  Not real hard, but it doesn't take much.  It's been writing very "scratchily" ever since.  I can't tell if something broke off, but it sure feels like it.

Question:  Is it worth sending to a nibmiester to fix (if even fixable), or more cost effective to just buy another pen?  Maybe a cheaper one and switch out the nibs?

A loupe would help you tell. It's possible it's just misaligned. 

At the cost of a Met, I'd say buy another, swap out the nibs, or even just buy another, period. But it depends on your nearby nibmeister's costs, waiting list, and what the damage is. IMO, if you can't tell if something, e.g. tipping or part of a tine broke off, it is unlikely to be the case, and more likely to be an alignment issue. I know you like EFs, but ball tipping is obvious and it feels a bit weird to me that it could break and you might not notice. Also, fixing alignment is easier (and you don't need a nibmeister for it.)

One option if you don't have a loupe is potentially to take it to your local pen group/store, as someone might have a loupe and check for you. Readjusting is easy enough.

42 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

A loupe would help you tell. It's possible it's just misaligned. 

At the cost of a Met, I'd say buy another, swap out the nibs, or even just buy another, period. But it depends on your nearby nibmeister's costs, waiting list, and what the damage is. IMO, if you can't tell if something, e.g. tipping or part of a tine broke off, it is unlikely to be the case, and more likely to be an alignment issue. I know you like EFs, but ball tipping is obvious and it feels a bit weird to me that it could break and you might not notice. Also, fixing alignment is easier (and you don't need a nibmeister for it.)

One option if you don't have a loupe is potentially to take it to your local pen group/store, as someone might have a loupe and check for you. Readjusting is easy enough.

A magnifying glass is the closest thing I have to a jeweler's loupe.  Maybe that will be enough.  I know of no pen groups or stores in this one-horse town.

1 minute ago, Cyclops said:

A magnifying glass is the closest thing I have to a jeweler's loupe.  Maybe that will be enough.  I know of no pen groups or stores in this one-horse town.

Something to consider: if you use Android or iPhone, see if you can download a macro photography app. In a pinch, they can be fairly useful for trying to get a close-up shot of your nib so you know what you are working with here.

23 hours ago, Coolmint said:

General question: have any of you gotten the InkVent calendar this year?  I got last year's.  Hesitant on this one.

No. Have a lot of ink unfortunately and my rule is I have to clear two bottles to be able to buy one, minus any that I really, really want. I grant there's quite a bit of leeway in terms of 'really really want' but feel ink discipline is important :) 

I just picked up the regional Diamine Ungu Senja ink for my birthday so I definitely have moments of carelessness >>

Edited to add: Anyone here uses the new CON-70? I just picked one up and dear Force is it so much easier to use than the older one. At least I don't feel the button mashing as much anymore.

Edited by Kasimir

On 12/8/2022 at 3:41 PM, Coolmint said:

If a tine chipped off (and it was me), I'd clip the tip, smooth it out, and presto, italic nib.  I've done it using manicure supplies.

Upon closer inspection, the tine did break off.  But I had not thought about clipping the other to make an italic nib.  I may just try that.

I have any number of Wing Sung and NoNami piston-fillers, but they all have F or even EF nibs.  Sometimes, I want to lay down more ink.  I once swapped out a Lamy M nib into one of them.  It worked the first time but not since.  So I've tip-clipped a couple of them into italic nibs, and this seems to do the trick.

1 minute ago, Coolmint said:

I have any number of Wing Sung and NoNami piston-fillers, but they all have F or even EF nibs.  Sometimes, I want to lay down more ink.  I once swapped out a Lamy M nib into one of them.  It worked the first time but not since.  So I've tip-clipped a couple of them into italic nibs, and this seems to do the trick.

I would definitely do that with a Wing Sung or a pen with a broken tine anyway. It's already broken or absurdly cheap, what's the harm. But I assume that needs some mylar as well to smoothen the edges after that?

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

I would definitely do that with a Wing Sung or a pen with a broken tine anyway. It's already broken or absurdly cheap, what's the harm. But I assume that needs some mylar as well to smoothen the edges after that?

I do have some mylar, but mostly rely on those four (or more!)-sided manicure buffing sticks.  Clip, dip, scribble.  Feel nib for scratchy or catchy portions.  Repeat until you feel it's smooth enough.  Yes, you'll have inky fingers.  Sometimes I also use a loupe or other magnifier to eyeball it.

Just now, Coolmint said:

I do have some mylar, but mostly rely on those four (or more!)-sided manicure buffing sticks.  Clip, dip, scribble.  Feel nib for scratchy or catchy portions.  Repeat until you feel it's smooth enough.  Yes, you'll have inky fingers.  Sometimes I also use a loupe or other magnifier to eyeball it.

Eh, you basically have to do it inked anyway - you need the lubrication. Theoretically can wet the buffing stick/mylar as well but I think most videos like Pen Habit's generally recommend using ink instead of dipping it in water at each pass.

Loupe feels necessary in case alignment shifts while you work on it.

1 minute ago, Kasimir said:

Eh, you basically have to do it inked anyway - you need the lubrication. Theoretically can wet the buffing stick/mylar as well but I think most videos like Pen Habit's generally recommend using ink instead of dipping it in water at each pass.

Loupe feels necessary in case alignment shifts while you work on it.

I dip it in ink, not water.  I've 'stubbed' about a half-dozen nibs by now and some need more fiddling than others.

Today I also managed to lubricate the piston mechanism in my Reform calligraphy pen.  Yay.

57 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

Would I use a pair of fingernail clippers, or do I need something stronger?  This is my first rodeo with a broken nib.

I have used nail clippers, and I think I used them for my last clip job, but I also have jeweler's tools, and one's like a refined wire-cutter.  On the whole, I prefer the nail clippers.  Protect your eyes when you do the cut.