Cataclysmic Tagranesh - A magic system

Inky

Hey, I'm pretty bored, so I figured I'd outline one of the two magic systems for my book! This one is the more widely used system (and also the one I've done more work on), so we'll discuss it first. So, without further ado, let me introduce you to Cataclysmic Tagranesh!

What is a Cataclysmic Tagranesh?

Tagranesh (Archaic Gish for "world's soul", or magic), is an umbrella term covering all magic systems on the world of Gaizha. It's split into two main categories - External (Cataclysmic), and Internal (Healing). Today we'll cover the former category. Cataclysmic Tagranesh's definition of external comes from its usage of an external force to power it. 

How to use Cataclysmic Tagranesh

To use Cataclysmic Tagranesh, you first need to find a Pulse. A Pulse is a small, white magic sphere that releases colored light. Pulses appear after natural disasters such as storms or earthquakes, and Pulses from different disasters give off different colors. Once you manage to get your hands on a Pulse, you need to distill it. Pulses distill when a sapient being focuses on a specific mindset and the Pulse. Different Pulses respond to different mindsets. For example. Pulses from a storm respond to single-minded drive, while Pulses from a forest fire respond to flurries of passion. Getting into the perfect mindset takes a few months of training, but once you get decent at it, you can fully turn a Pulse into a sort of colored liquid.

Once a Pulse is in liquid state, the fun can begin. When a mage wants to use a Pulse, they adopt the same mindset they used to distill it, and the liquid Pulse will shoot into their soul. After a two second delay, the Pulse will interact with their soul, and release its energy in a giant wave around the mage. The mage can now control this power, whatever it is. Each Pulse gives a power corresponding to the natural disaster that spawned it. Storm Pulses, for example, give the ability to control wind, lightning, and water (but only to form clouds).

Drawbacks

While Cataclysmic Tagranesh doesn't affect its user, it can easily affect those around them. Especially for newcomers, Cataclysmic Tagranesh is quite difficult to control, and its power is quite expansive. It's much easier to burn a city to the ground with Tagranesh than it is to light a candle. This makes impulsively using Tagranesh to deal with problems difficult, because it's hard to reel in once it's activated, and you can end up hurting people. Learning to use Tagranesh reliably takes decades of practice.

So, that's Cataclysmic Tagranesh! Any questions? Criticisms? Tell me in the comments.