Investiture Units and Perfect spheres

LopentheHerdazian

What is the ideal unit of investiture?

What is the unit of investiture that we will most likely be seeing in later cosmere entries?

We have had various forms of investiture in the cosmere. The only practical ones I can see are stormlight, metal and breaths.

First, I'll address breaths as we already have these being measured. One breath is seen as a constant on Nalthis. However, in Warbreaker we seen that done breaths are worth more than others. Though the amount that each person is given at birth are usually the same. So this is probable not what we will be seeing.

Next I'll address metal. In mistborn we see that metal is used as a source of investiture. It should be noted that metal is not actually a source but simply acts as a conduit to preservation and is used up on the transference. We don't know but can probably assume that a specific amount of pure iron or perfect steel will give a certain amount of investiture. This is why weight of steel, probable 1kg will be the unit of investiture. 

A perfect gemstone of a certain diameter could be used however they would be impossible to create naturally in the physical realm. This is because the gem would always have imperfection and not all gems are comprised the same. A sapphire is actually just imperfections in a gem.

3 minutes ago, LopentheHerdazian said:

What is the ideal unit of investiture?

Not sure what this means.

What is the unit of investiture that we will most likely be seeing in later cosmere entries?

Brandon says it will likley be breath as breath is quantized

However, in Warbreaker we seen that done breaths are worth more than others

Divine breaths are not considered breaths are not realy easily transferable as breaths and are easily distinguishable from regular breaths.

4 minutes ago, LopentheHerdazian said:

We don't know but can probably assume that a specific amount of pure iron or perfect steel will give a certain amount of investiture

Actually the amount varies depending on the misting, and how experienced they are.

5 minutes ago, LopentheHerdazian said:

A perfect gemstone of a certain diameter could be used however they would be impossible to create naturally in the physical realm.

You don't know that neither do we.  Artificial gem creation is possible and you might be able to get it perfect.

6 minutes ago, LopentheHerdazian said:

A sapphire is actually just imperfections in a gem

The "imperfections" that make sapphires are 'chemical impurities not structural ones.  Diamonds are a pollstone and are entirely Carbon.  Pure Carbon is easy to find(capitalizing Carbon is a thing I do I don't know why).

9 minutes ago, Karger said:

Not sure what this means.

As in a unit to measure against.  

9 minutes ago, Karger said:

Divine breaths are not considered breaths are not realy easily transferable as breaths and are easily distinguishable from regular breaths.

There is a WoB that state that breaths are not an exact science. That individual breath (not divine breath) quality can vary from person to person)

I haven't commented on your other points because we are in agreement, so I have nothing to add. 

30 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

There is a WoB that state that breaths are not an exact science. That individual breath (not divine breath) quality can vary from person to person)

Sure.  For example child breaths are "fresher" and more energetic in some ways.  However a breath is still a breath no matter the quality.

Do we know that for certain.

Has Brandon said that each breath is exactly the same.

They are not exactly the same.  However they are quite similar in some respects.  50 breaths of any quality will get you the second hightening for example.

Also if breaths aren't equal then what unit would they use.

As I was saying a breath is still a breath the way a carbon atom is still a carbon atom.  You can have ions and isotopes but it is still a carbon atom and the atom may be older or younger(which sometimes may matter) but it is still a carbon atom.  A breath is still a good base unit.  Latter they will call it the Ideal Breath or IB(just making this last part up).

Vasher says that the second heightenings is around 50 breaths not exactly which would imply that it varies.

Also on the note of steel. Did it say that better mistings can actually get more investiture out of a given amount of metal or if it's just that they can use the investiture more efficiently. Like how Ham only flares pewter sporadically.

I like the analogy of old Pirate-era coins:  One piece of silver was considered a One Piece unit, and theoretically their value was specifically in the physical amount of Silver, but they were also roughly minted with a varying amount of actual metal in them.  And they were designed with the intent that you could literally chop them into smaller pieces that each had equal value even if in a practical sense they had wildly varying amounts of silver metal in them once they were split by the public.  

2 hours ago, LopentheHerdazian said:

Vasher says that the second heightenings is around 50 breaths not exactly which would imply that it varies.

For many of the effects you can approach the effect without getting there.  Almost perfect pitch that is not quite.  Your aura is bigger but it does not diffract light.  That sort of thing.  Why is this in the SA thread?

Edited by Karger

The quality of breath does matter regarding heightening, just at a certain point it is so minor as not to be noticeable.

Weltall (paraphrased)

I asked if someone who had a lot of Breath would have it weaken collectively, in the same way that the single Breaths of children are more vibrant than others and move one slightly closer to a Heightening, then weaken as they grow older (and contribute slightly less towards a Heightening).

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

He said that it wouldn't be noticeable once you accumulate enough Breath and, for example, Hoid wouldn't find himself suddenly losing perfect pitch as a function of time.

Arcanum Unbounded San Francisco signing (Nov. 30, 2016)

• Chaos locked this topic