Does miles have a resonance ?

Friendshipspren

Huh. Very interesting thought. Never actually considered it before. 

All double powers should have a resonance, so miles should too. His lack of pain could be it, but there's no real way to know without asking Brandon. 

Awesome thought. Surprised I've never considered or seen it brought up before! 

I believe the pain blindness is just due to him tapping healing so constantly that he's either built up such a tolerance to pain that he doesn't feel it anymore, or his body has just learned that its basically immortal and thus pain is of no purpose. Frankly I'm inclined to believe the former and that its psychological. But that's just because I have no idea how his body would be so modified to ignore a basic function without outside intervention.

Do resonances happen naturally/immediately, at a Spiritweb level if you will, or does it require some use, possibly regular use, of both forms of Investiture to manifest?

Like Wax with his steel bubble: he reflects at one point that he hadn't always been able to do it. There are conflicting or vague WoBs as to whether this bubble ability is A-steel savantism (i.e., any Coinshot who practiced enough could eventually do it), his Twinborn resonance between A-steel and F-iron, or even a kind of savantism of the resonance effect. Or something twiddled in him by Harmony, for all we know, similar to the way he seems to be able to draw an A-pewter-like effect from the mists.

In which case it's possible that a Twinborn like Miles might use the Compounding effect so much that the one dominates the other to the point where no resonance emerges. If 99% of your use of allomantic ability to burn gold is to overclock tapping a Feruchemical store, does that "count"?

@robardin wait what ?

Or something twiddled in him by Harmony, for all we know, similar to the way he seems to be able to draw an A-pewter-like effect from the mists.

Seriously that happenedi. In which chapter of which book ? damnation. Also yeah I wonder if resonances will manifest if u compound . Nice argument. 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

2 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

@robardin wait what ?

Or something twiddled in him by Harmony, for all we know, similar to the way he seems to be able to draw an A-pewter-like effect from the mists.

Seriously that happenedi. In which chapter of which book ? damnation. 

It's not explicitly stated, but at several points, Wax mentions how not only did his Allomancy seem to work better in the mists, but he felt stronger and pain receded. Like he's being directly fueled by the mists a little bit like Vin had been, but in a lightly pewterific way.

For example, after the first time he has a mental conversation with Harmony, in the final fight with the Vanishers in Alloy of Law:

I have done something to help. I sent you.

Waxillium breathed out, blowing the mists in front of him. ...

Waxillium gritted his teeth, then forced himself to stand. He felt better in the mists. The wounds didn’t seem so bad. The pain didn’t seem so sharp.

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

Of not, at that point was right after an explosion that had him literally crawling on the ground from his wounds. 

Mists fall in, and he's immediately up and fighting ignoring them. 

Doesn't sound like pewter at all :P

And he even thinks about it in those terms himself in Shadows of Self, Ch. 11, the first time he meets MeLaan:

The wound hurt like hell, but there was something about the mists.… He felt stronger in them. It shouldn’t be so—he was no Pewterarm—but there it was.

6 minutes ago, robardin said:

It's not explicitly stated, but at several points, Wax mentions how not only did his Allomancy seem to work better in the mists, but he felt stronger and pain receded. Like he's being directly fueled by the mists a little bit like Vin had been, but in a lightly pewterific way.

For example, after the first time he has a mental conversation with Harmony, in the final fight with the Vanishers in Alloy of Law:

I attribute this to Shardic intervention. Maybe I'm wrong to do so, but until otherwise proven false, that's my hypothesis.

Edit: I should clarify. I do believe that allomancy can be enhanced by the mists. I just attribute the healing effect to Harmony.

Edited by HSuperLee

3 hours ago, robardin said:

Do resonances happen naturally/immediately, at a Spiritweb level if you will, or does it require some use, possibly regular use, of both forms of Investiture to manifest?

Like Wax with his steel bubble: he reflects at one point that he hadn't always been able to do it. There are conflicting or vague WoBs as to whether this bubble ability is A-steel savantism (i.e., any Coinshot who practiced enough could eventually do it), his Twinborn resonance between A-steel and F-iron, or even a kind of savantism of the resonance effect. Or something twiddled in him by Harmony, for all we know, similar to the way he seems to be able to draw an A-pewter-like effect from the mists.

In which case it's possible that a Twinborn like Miles might use the Compounding effect so much that the one dominates the other to the point where no resonance emerges. If 99% of your use of allomantic ability to burn gold is to overclock tapping a Feruchemical store, does that "count"?

It needs some regular use, so Miles might not have burned Allomantic gold enough to develop the Resonance.

yulerule

Or, if a Ferring is holding the Bands, and they use just one ability, will they develop a perk, tied to the one second ability they are using?

Brandon Sanderson

The longer they use it, the more likely that this is to happen.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/332/#e9494

6 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

I attribute this to Shardic intervention. Maybe I'm wrong to do so, but until otherwise proven false, that's my hypothesis.

Yeah, that's what I meant by Harmony twiddling him (directly) via the mists. He's holding back out of Balance from outright healing him or making him Mistborn as he had Spook upon first Ascending, but he does appear to be temporarily giving him a little flare of a pewter effect from time to time.

And I was willing to consider that his steel bubble thing might've been a permanent, Wax-only twiddle from Harmony, like boosting a resonance effect to savant levels, as a "minor but useful nudge" that fell within the bounds of his Shardic Intent.

Edited by robardin

8 minutes ago, robardin said:

8 minutes ago, robardin said:

Yeah, that's what I meant by Harmony twiddling him (directly) via the mists. He's holding back out of Balance from outright healing him or making him Mistborn as he had Spook upon first Ascending, but he does appear to be temporarily giving him a little flare of a pewter effect from time to time.

I think it's somewhere in between. 

I think that the earring (which he no longer has the same one after SoS) was made from a spike that granted an inquisitor pewter allomancy. Between it's small size, and the decay it wouldn't do much for Wax at all, and he doesn't take pewter in his metal vials anyway. 

The Mists can fuel any allomancy though, and they are directed by Harmony. So if the earring is in, it gives him a way to supercharge an ability that Wax technically has. Pewter is one of the easier metals to burn instinctively. We see Elend do it while he's unconscious and has never used allomancy before. 

Edit: misquoted. Fixing. First quote by @HSuperLee, not Robardin

Edited by Calderis

14 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I think that the earring (which he no longer has the same one after SoS) was made from a spike that granted an inquisitor pewter allomancy. Between it's small size, and the decay it wouldn't do much for Wax at all, and he doesn't take pewter in his metal vials anyway. 

The Mists can fuel any allomancy though, and they are directed by Harmony. So if the earring is in, it gives him a way to supercharge an ability that Wax technically has. Pewter is one of the easier metals to burn instinctively. We see Elend do it while he's unconscious and has never used allomancy before.

Was he wearing that earring each time he felt that boost? I don't think he kept it in all the time, he only put in it to "pray" to Harmony as a Pathian. He definitely was in that scene from Alloy of Law, as he was just chatting with Harmony,  Not so sure about that scene with MeLaan in Shadows of Self.

Now that Wax knows about hemalurgy, maybe he'll try a vial of pewter with that earring in, if he puts 2 and 2 together...

ETA: Ah right, he made a bullet out of the first earring to shoot Bleeder with, and we don't know what his new earring may or may not be a spike for. Though it stands to reason Harmony would do the same thing again as last time.

Edited by robardin

@robardin the reason he was wearing the earring that night is the same reason he'd be likely to wear it anytime he was throwing himself into something big.

She left and pulled the door closed. He turned back to his plan once again. He raised his hand and slipped his earring into his ear. He was supposed to wear it when praying, or when doing something of great import.
He figured that tonight, he’d be doing a lot of both.

14 hours ago, Calderis said:

I think it's somewhere in between. 

Edit: misquoted. Fixing. First quote by @HSuperLee, not Robardin

Someone needs to ask Brandon about that.

19 hours ago, Calderis said:

@robardin the reason he was wearing the earring that night is the same reason he'd be likely to wear it anytime he was throwing himself into something big.

Hmm, that makes a lot of sense, then. If every time Wax has felt "stronger" in the mists a pewter-like way coincides with when he's known or likely to have put in his kandra-delivered hemalurgic earring, that would fit the idea of it being a fractional and degraded spike for A-pewter that Harmony is fueling directly when he wants to.

That raises some interesting ideas, if it was an earring made from a former Inquisitor spike.

They mentioned that earrings are commonly put in by Pathians while praying. Of course, many if not most of them would not be hemalurgic spikes, probably just ordinary earrings symbolic of one, but it's not hard to imagine similar kandra-delivered "real" spikes for specific Pathians, which could then be passed on to others over time. And one Inquisitor spike could make several earrings.

So Harmony could also be creating more "mistfuelled" than just Wax, even if he is Harmony's "Ruin" to TenSoon being "his Preservation".

And, if so desired, with other powers. Imagine if Wax's new earring, given to him in BoM, was actually a spike for atium, the Lost Metal! Vin couldn't fuel Elend's allomancy with atium as Preservation, but Harmony, holding Ruin as well, certainly could.

Edited by robardin

I’ve always interpreted the earring to be a degraded/divided Steel inquisitor spike with Allomancy-Pewter. When Wax was in the mists he felt better then after he left them he didn’t, giving enough evidence that Harmony was fueling that small Pewter burn. 

As far as resonance goes, the coppermind gives us so few solid evidence of what is considered a resonance power. Lightweavers having mnemonic abilities and Windrunners having more squires? How? What? It’s all so out there that I think speculating will not get us anywhere as I think Brandon hasn’t fully decided how resonance works and doesn’t want to canonize too much. 

8 hours ago, Sirscott13 said:

As far as resonance goes, the coppermind gives us so few solid evidence of what is considered a resonance power. Lightweavers having mnemonic abilities and Windrunners having more squires? How? What? It’s all so out there that I think speculating will not get us anywhere as I think Brandon hasn’t fully decided how resonance works and doesn’t want to canonize too much. 

Spoiler

The Radiant resonances occur because individual Surges have Cognitive and Spiritual powers, as well as Physical. Windrunners Gravitate people towards them, and those people stick around (Spiritual Adhesion), and become the Windrunner's Squires. Lightweavers have some Cognitive Illumination and Transformation that imprints an image in their mind. Honestly, you have a point that it is difficult for Miles Hundredlives, because A-gold is Temporal (which means it's automatically Spiritual), and F-gold is Physical and Spiritual (Spiritweb restoration). Spiritual powers can be difficult to pin down.

Edited by Bearer of Agonies

2 hours ago, Bearer of Agonies said:
  Hide contents

The Radiant resonances occur because individual Surges have Cognitive and Spiritual powers, as well as Physical. Windrunners Gravitate people towards them, and those people stick around (Spiritual Adhesion), and become the Windrunner's Squires. Lightweavers have some Cognitive Illumination and Transformation that imprints an image in their mind. Honestly, you have a point that it is difficult for Miles Hundredlives, because A-gold is Temporal (which means it's automatically Spiritual), and F-gold is Physical and Spiritual (Spiritweb restoration). Spiritual powers can be difficult to pin down.

How do u explain SkyBreaker resonance then ? 

4 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

The ability to discern the innocent from the guilty it seems

Unfortunately, no. 

Spoiler

Slowswift

Similar to how Lightweavers have, kind of really good memories. Do the Skybreakers have any special abilities for telling guilty and innocent people apart?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Good question.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

We have only two confirmed resonances cosmere wide. 

Slowswift

Similar to how Lightweavers have, kind of really good memories. Do the Skybreakers have any special abilities for telling guilty and innocent people apart?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Good question.

Therefore, the innocent vs. guilty thing is not the resonance. The Skybreaker Resonance is not known as of now.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Edited by Bearer of Agonies

• Chaos locked this topic