Thoughts on Kelsier

Not-So-Logicalspren

I was thinking about how Kelsier got his physical body back as well as Feruchemical abilities.  I imagine that it would take (at least) one spike to get his physical body back,  but it could conceivably take several.  Then you would need 16 feruchemical spikes and it’s possible that you would need 16 Allomantic spikes as well, depending on whether or not getting his physical body back restored his Mistborn status. So we’re looking at anywhere from 17-35 spikes.  That’s a lot of spikes, and not something that I think Kelsier would want to subject himself to, as the more spikes you have the easier it would be for a shard to influence you, and Kelsier is way too careful to have such an obvious weakness.  Also I don’t think that Spook would be willing to kill so many innocent people, and finding that many Feruchemists/Allomancers in the specific variety needed that were criminals would be almost impossible.

My thought is this: Kelsier used his time in the CR convincing himself that he was a Fullborn.  Then, when he got his body back he used a spike to get the Feruchemical ability of Identity (I think that’s F-aluminum, but I could be wrong on that) and then Compounds that Identity to “heal” his spirit web and turn himself into a Fullborn.  Not only is this a much more humane way of doing things, it also brings the total number of spikes needed to 2-5, which gives Kelsier the indepedence he would want.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

He could also have used medallions instead of spikes. 

I don't think that Kelseir would have considered those seriously as an option.  He is far too independent to rely on a device.  @kingsdaughter613 solution makes more sense.

12 hours ago, Karger said:

I don't think that Kelseir would have considered those seriously as an option.  He is far too independent to rely on a device.  @kingsdaughter613 solution makes more sense.

Huh?  Where does it talk about Kelsier being "too independent" for devices?  The Bands of Morning are essentially one giant uber-medallion.  And his whole schtick is that of crew leader - he builds up a crew of diverse people and relies on them to do their jobs.  

As far as original Feruchemy, we have literally no idea how that came about, or whether that's even a thing that Kelsier could re-implement.  

20 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:
13 hours ago, Karger said:

Huh?  Where does it talk about Kelsier being "too independent" for devices?  The Bands of Morning are essentially one giant uber-medallion.  And his whole schtick is that of crew leader - he builds up a crew of diverse people and relies on them to do their jobs.

Kelseir always kept his own council and did not like to rely on others.  Kelseir was using those crew members and relied on his own ability to manipulate them.  He figured them out and knew what he was doing.  He was also not stupid and knew that he needed them(I see no other realistic way he could use to achieve his goals).  Considering that he was already a fullborn(we think/are pretty sure since he would need to be to create the bands) the bands must be for a different purpose. 

On 9/3/2019 at 10:58 AM, NattyBo said:

Would Kelsier have to kill people to get those spikes, though? Didn't he have a pile of Inquisitor spikes for Spook to work with?

He still wouldn’t be willing to have more than two. Too many and Harmony can control him. He knows that too many spikes opens him up to all sorts of risks and, if there is anything Kell is against, its being controlled against his will.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking, maybe Kelsier spiked himself into a full Feruchemist with a Copper spike, transferring his mind into the Feruchemist. Then he used his force of personality to basically hijack the body, then ate a bead of Lerasium to give him the full set of powers.

Edited by atiummisting17

There is the possibility of beads unaccounted for. 

SageOfTheWise

Is there a reason why Rashek left a nugget of Lerasium at the Well of Ascension?

Brandon Sanderson

He left several. It was, in his opinion, one of the best kept secrets and best protected locations in his empire.

Phantine

Were there originally 16 of them?

Brandon Sanderson

An excellent guess.

/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 11, 2015)

We know of 11 beads total that Rashek gathered. The 9 given to foreign kings to make the first Mistborn allies. The one used by Elend. And the one used by Hoid. 

That said, I will be very very surprised if we see lerasium again. The way that the world has progressed, an infusion of Lerasium is going to completely upset the balance of things. 

And I don't think that Kelsier needs to be a Fullborn in truth. He can achieve it with one additional spike. Nicrosil Feruchemy. 

He is Connected to his current body by the spike in his eye. 

Questioner

In Bands of Mourning, we learned that the Sovereign, who they confused as being the Lord Ruler, came after the Catacendre. [He] was their god, was their king and god. And then Kelsier looking for a string. Is the spike somehow connecting Kelsier's soul to Spook's body.

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question. It is connecting his soul with his body, his current body, but it is not Spook's body. That's a great theory.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

Kelsier is the reason the Southerners have medallions in the first place. Give him a spike for Nicrosil Feruchemy and a little unkeyed power for all of the other Feruchemy powers and he can compound up stores all he wants. With that, he could be a Feruchemist of all the powers and make the bands all on his own. 

Don't bother storing in aluminum and he has a personal bands locked to him. And he still has room for another spike to remain below the 4 spike threshold for control. 

21 hours ago, Calderis said:

There is the possibility of beads unaccounted for. 

We know of 11 beads total that Rashek gathered. The 9 given to foreign kings to make the first Mistborn allies. The one used by Elend. And the one used by Hoid. 

That said, I will be very very surprised if we see lerasium again. The way that the world has progressed, an infusion of Lerasium is going to completely upset the balance of things. 

And I don't think that Kelsier needs to be a Fullborn in truth. He can achieve it with one additional spike. Nicrosil Feruchemy. 

He is Connected to his current body by the spike in his eye. 

Kelsier is the reason the Southerners have medallions in the first place. Give him a spike for Nicrosil Feruchemy and a little unkeyed power for all of the other Feruchemy powers and he can compound up stores all he wants. With that, he could be a Feruchemist of all the powers and make the bands all on his own. 

Don't bother storing in aluminum and he has a personal bands locked to him. And he still has room for another spike to remain below the 4 spike threshold for control. 

This. Love your theory, and thanks for the WoB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic