Uniting all of Roshar: What future leaders of countries have we seen?

Jenet

Hi!

I am sorry if this is a worn out topic in the forum, but I did not seem to find anything about it. Please redirect me if I am mistaken.

I am often thinking of how Dalinar will accomplish uniting the countries of Roshar, what I guess he will need to do in order to defeat Odium, of course in addition to uniting the knights, the highprinces and possibly the shards.

We have already seen many different people from other countries that may or may not end up in powerful positions if this alliance is to be built. We have also met the present kings, queens and emperors of many countries, but I am not sure that all of those are very suited for leading their countries at war. We have also countries that are not yet in Dalinar's alliance, but we have important characters from said countries that could be, or become, very suited for the task.

For Alethkar we have many suited leaders already. They just need to agree to cooperate. Perhaps Jasnah is the right person to force/persuade them to do so.

For Jah Keved, we have none but Taravangian, and Dalinar would obviously need someone to take over once he wrestles the power from Mr T. Is Balat too crazy? Shallan is already busy as an intelligence agent and Radiant. Or will she continue into a more admistrative position, but with the knowledge and experience she has aquired? Or even a queen, as Jasnah? Jasnah proved that you can be both a Radiant and a regent. Have we come to know anyone else? Redin the Bastard? He seems like an interesting guy.

Herdaz: The General with the handcuffs. The Lopen as a wild card.

Shinovar: Szeth will clense Shinovar and find a leader he can trust. Will he become a leader, or will he be too busy radianting?

Azir: Gawx will do just fine. He is developing very well as a young leader. Will Sigzil have role to play here? He is skilled at administration. Noura also seems like a skilled and wise administrator.

Thaylenah: Queen Fen is perfect in my opinion. And with Vstim and Rysn on her team? Yeah. Even if Rysn should end up becoming a Radiant.

Horneater Peaks: Rock is probably already the King of the Peaks. He might already be a prince of his Peak by heritage, but he has also said that the first horneater who wins Shards will become their king. Rock won two. He will become a fine king.

Reshi Isles: We have met the King and the king's son of one of the isles. They seem like wise and smart people, and they are good friends with Vstim and Rysn.

Iri? Do we know anyone else than Dalinar's brother-in-law? And he is an outcast. At least as far as we know. He could have gone back to reconcile with his family and country. What must Dalinar do to soften the Iriali? Give back Adolin's Plate? Might not be a very expensive offering, if Adolin continues communicating with his Blade.

Tukar: How to heal a crazy herald?

Purelake: Why have we met Ishikk? I can't be only because we needed to learn about the 17th shard and fish species in the Purelake?

And of course we have the Singers. Venli, Rlain, and others. I wonder, they may also have candidates from different countries and cultures?

Do we know anyone from other countries? Other suggestions or opinions?

Edited by Jenet

9 hours ago, Jenet said:

Reshi Isles: We have met the King and the king's son of one of the isles. They seem like wise and smart people, and they are good friends with Vstim and Rysn.

The reshi are not like the other countries.  They don't have one single leader.  Each clan has its own king and they move around and relate to each other in an interesting way but they do not respond to conventional diplomacy and there is not one leader you can focus your efforts on. 

9 hours ago, Jenet said:

Iri? Do we know anyone else than Dalinar's brother-in-law? And he is an outcast. At least as far as we know. He could have gone back to reconcile with his family and country. What must Dalinar do to soften the Iriali? Give back Adolin's Plate? Might not be a very expensive offering, if Adolin continues communicating with his Blade.

The Iri have three monarchs with different responsibilities.  They are completely in Odium's camp and it is going to take a lot to change that.  This a lot will most likley involve the death of many Iri people.  Dalinar's brother in law is actually from Rira not Iri

9 hours ago, Jenet said:

Tukar: How to heal a crazy herald?

Honestly.  I think the best option might be to kill him and then have a lightweaver do an impersonation of some final commandments.

9 hours ago, Jenet said:

Purelake: Why have we met Ishikk? I can't be only because we needed to learn about the 17th shard and fish species in the Purelake?

Why not?

9 hours ago, Jenet said:

Do we know anyone from other countries? Other suggestions or opinions?

You completely missed Rira Iri's neighbor and disputed vassal state.  Tu Bayla has some interesting nomadic people.  The Aimians and Sleepless are an interesting question.  We still do not know much about the Natanatan people.  Babatharnum seems to have fallen in with the enemy.  Finally you have to remember that Azir's control over the empire is only formal.  Technically he only rules Azir.  Each other country has its own system of govenrment and its own government head.  We know next to nothing about Emul and Marat for example.

5 hours ago, Karger said:

You completely missed Rira Iri's neighbor and disputed vassal state.  Tu Bayla has some interesting nomadic people.  The Aimians and Sleepless are an interesting question.  We still do not know much about the Natanatan people.  Babatharnum seems to have fallen in with the enemy.  Finally you have to remember that Azir's control over the empire is only formal.  Technically he only rules Azir.  Each other country has its own system of govenrment and its own government head.  We know next to nothing about Emul and Marat for example.

I am well aware that there are other countries and areas that I have not mentioned in my list. I tried to find out if there are talented and potentionally powerful people that we know of until now that are from other countries and areas than Alethkar. In order to unite the whole of Roshar, our heroes will need to ally with others. These people may not be restricted to the current leaders. We know that the story will continue over many more years, and the young people we have met until now will mature and get experience.

If these talented people have a cultural background and important contacts in other countries, and at the same time are close friends with our heroes, it will be easier to connect and to communicate. That was the reason for my question.

42 minutes ago, Jenet said:

If these talented people have a cultural background and important contacts in other countries, and at the same time are close friends with our heroes, it will be easier to connect and to communicate. That was the reason for my question.

So your question is about people not nations?

5 minutes ago, Karger said:

So your question is about people not nations?

Nations are made out of people... 

To the point: I do believe Brandon has been introducing a lot of people from other countries. Not only is this good world building but it will make a unified Roshar a whole lot more interesting/cool. 

I haven't thought about this much, but I'll come back if I think of something!

Just now, Steel Inquisitive said:

Nations are made out of people... 

Nations are made out of people.  I was asking if he wants us to mention specific people or just the nations they are members of.

Edited by Karger

I think Axies should get to be king of everything. 

If they dont want to roll with that, I think they should go with the following:

Alethkar - Jasnah. She is the queen, and will be a good one in a lot of ways. I do hope that she wont be perfectly brilliant at it, as that would be boring.

Jah Keved - Redin the Bastard. Whenever Mr T is dealt with. 

Azir - Gawx. No point in killing him off, so he’ll remain as king.

Horneaters - Rock. He will have an arc for this in the next book I think. 

Thaylenah - Probably Fen. I could see her die though (she is old, so her not being around after 5 is kinda likely). After her they will probably go Rysn or whatever her son was called (Thaylen names are hard!). Third option: Mraize takes the throne.

Herdaz - Defenitely Herdazian Houdini. Defenitely not Lopen. He has to earn it, in that case. 

Singers - I have a feeling that it wont be Venli, but we will see. Rlain or Thude are possible. Or Mraize just usurps the throne (I think he can usurp a lot of thrones, given the chance).

Purelake - I like Ishikk, and I hope we see him again, but he doesnt feel like a leader to me. He tries to avoid getting married. Defenitely not the guy who wants a throne. I don’t think he’d be good at it either. He should fish. If anyone could find a Shardfish to kill Odium with, it would be Ishikk (I will start theorycrafting this at once). So for the Purelake, someone random. Or Mraize just usurps it. 

Tukar - I doubt Ishar will ally with anyone. It would be cool if it continues to be ruled by a Herald though, so I nominate Taln and Ash. 

We also hav Karbranth. I can see Redin taking this. Or one of Taravangians children. He seems to have a lot of them. 

I also feel like Pattern has earned a country, so he can get Tu Bayla. 

Edited by Toaster Retribution

Wonderful suggestions, Toaster Retribution. :D I especially like Pattern to have a country. He is a favourite of mine. :D

But let's discuss the Purelake. I wonder if there is anyone in that area who is different from the easy going Ishikk? Perhaps he is really the most active and outgoing of them all? I wonder why he is the one that became the contact for the 17th shard guys? The Purelake had grandiose castles in perhistoric times. What other wonders might they hide under their easy going surface?

The Shin are the same. They hide a dangerous warrior culture under strict laws and stone shamanism, especially suppressing warriors and forbidding stepping on stone. That is: do not walk into other parts of Roshar where the natives should be allowed to live in peace. (We know that there has been shin invations into the east.) The Horneaters also try to sound less dangerous than they are, and specifically ranging warrior status below the statud of cooks. The Shin put warriors below everyone else. What if Shin, Horneaters and Purelakers all used to be awesome warriors, but at some point in time laid down their weapons, perhaps for the same reasons as the Radiants?

What if these warrior nations could be reawakened when the singers and the humans finally unite to fight the real enemy, Odium? 

I feel that the main story has something of the same lines as the Wheel of Time, where our heroes gradually get into contact with nations, organisations and other powerful entities, wake them up or befriend them, and either unite with them or actually become their leaders, for finally to be able to lead all powers of the world together in the final battle for humanity.

Or like the eorlingas, or Rohan people in the Lord of the Rings. Or the elves and dwarves. Unite them!

Of course, since this is Sanderson, we will never know until the books are here, but it is interesting to speculate. Which nations and organisations have potential? Who has something that might develop into power in weird ways? And then, yes, I asked if we have seen any specific characters that might be candidates.

Edited by Jenet

• Chaos locked this topic