The Knights Next Prequel

Bookish Ocelot

“I agree,” Marcel said and took the wallet. The address wasn’t listed as in the local area. In fact, it was listed as all the way in Sugar Heights, that neighbourhood was an hours drive away from where they were. So why would Christopher come to an area he lived so far away from?

A meeting? Business? It didn’t list an occupation.

“Would you like to help me get to the bottom of this?” He asked her, look her at Wita honestly. Nothing needed to be pressured.

“I need to figure this all out...” he said.

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

“Would you like to help me get to the bottom of this?” He asked her, look her at Wita honestly. Nothing needed to be pressured.

“I need to figure this all out...” he said.

Wita nodded.

"I will need to tell them, that I won't come home." She told him earnestly. "I'm not sure, if they will let me go away. They have to look after me, but they will, when they know that I'm not alone."

Her face lit up with a smile.

"I am good at figuring things out. When I have the time. Or quickly. But that hurts." Her fingers touched her head, then her heart to indicate memories. "I can help."

She stated simply and looked at Kira and the two men.

"What about them? Do you want them to help as well?"

17 hours ago, Sorana said:

She stated simply and looked at Kira and the two men.

"What about them? Do you want them to help as well?"

“If they want,” Marcel said. More heads were always better than one. His sister would disagree.

“They all know about Investiture, it seems,” he said. Pointing to each of them in the group, and then at himself. “Sparker, Edgedancer, Coinshot, Bloodsealer. I don’t know about the mobster, it seems he would have more pressing issues.”

He looked to each of them in turn. “There is a good chance that the death of this person was something bigger. Like you said, a ‘hired hit’. If they target one Invested person, who’s to say they won’t target more?” He stood up straighter. “This could be the start of something that risks us all.

“And whoever paid clearly wanted no one to know about the ‘portals’. We know. So, we are in danger in that way also. Perhaps the only option for now is to work together, at least just for tonight,” he said. “Would you all be willing?”

@Dr. Dapper

@Eluvianii

@Sorana

@Hope Spren

Edited by I think I am here.

17 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“And whoever paid clearly wanted no one to know about the ‘portals’. We know. So, we are in danger in that way also. Perhaps the only option for now is to work together, at least just for tonight,” he said. “Would you all be willing?”

Wita tilted her head to the side when he pointed at her. Sparker. How could he know? She hadn't met him before. Or she had forgotten him. That happened sometimes. He went on, held some kind of speech, about them being in danger, about working together, finding out what was going on. A night, work together for a night. Excited she clapped her hands. It was like a story, a beautiful story of adventure. And nobody had told her to go away so far.

She poked his arm when he fell silent, waited for the others to think about his words.

"How do you know, that I repair electrical devices?"

9 minutes ago, Sorana said:

She poked his arm when he fell silent, waited for the others to think about his words.

"How do you know, that I repair electrical devices?"

When he finished Wita clapped her hands and he smiled nervously. Like this was some show, or movie, or roleplay that he was making a speech in. In all fairness, it did make him feel a tad more awesome. When she poked him and asked her question a frown tugged at his lips.

“I didn’t know this,” he said honestly. “A Sparker, uh, how do I say this in English...” he paused, thought for a moment.

“It is the name we give to people with your ability. Like a lamp ignited by a spark, see?” He pointed to a streetlight.

“Your brain can become brighter or dimmer.”

9 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Your brain can become brighter or dimmer.”

Wita fell silent at his words. Brighter or dimmer. It was a good explanation, easy to comprehend. Fitting her.

"It sounds beautiful. To be a light, a lamp. To shine and to stop shining."

Her voice was soft for once, her excitedness fleeing her.

"I'm not a sparker." She disagreed quietly. "I'm always dim, never bright. I'm like a broken command unable to work through the answer and yet asking the same question over and over again."

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

“I'm not a sparker." She disagreed quietly. "I'm always dim, never bright. I'm like a broken command unable to work through the answer and yet asking the same question over and over again."

Marcel clicked his tongue, shaking his head.

“You’re not broken,” he said, cupping his hands together like a bowl, and then squeezing them shut. “Only restrained. But once those shackles - that pain, you say, - comes off? Then, you will shine brighter than perhaps anyone else, with how long you’ve been storing.” He smiled. It was nice, having Wita around. He needed someone to stop him from overthinking things.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:58 PM, Eluvianii said:

He took the hand she offered him and got up. "Th-thank you." he said, confused. What had happened to his pain? He checked his side and the wound was gone. "What, what was that?" he asked. She obviously could do something as well, but her ability seemed completely different from his.

"Your welcome. Sorry I didn't help earlier. As to what that was . . ." Kira glanced away, sighing. There probably wasn't much point in trying to hide it from him, as he had already seen what she could do. "I'm an Edgedancer. I can do . . . stuff. You might want to ask that man over there," she gestured towards Marcel, "About what exactly I can do. I'm not sure how well I can explain it." She glanced back at Marcel, who seemed to be in deep conversation with Wita. She wasn't sure if she should interrupt, so she turned to Lewis with a smile. "I should probably be thanking you as well. I'm guessing it was you who kept the other men from sneaking up behind us?"

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

Marcel clicked his tongue, shaking his head.

“You’re not broken,” he said, cupping his hands together like a bowl, and then squeezing them shut. “Only restrained. But once those shackles - that pain, you say, - comes off? Then, you will shine brighter than perhaps anyone else, with how long you’ve been storing.” He smiled. It was nice, having Wita around. He needed someone to stop him from overthinking things.

Wita smiled as well.

"Restrained."

She repeated and then tapped a finger against her bracelet.

"Can you explain to me, how that works? Maybe later?"

She looked back at Kira, saw her help Edwin up and waved at the little fairy.

"Do you also have a fairy, and shouldn't we go?"

Her earlier question about her ability almost forgotten.

Edited by Sorana

7 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Edgedancer. He had never heard of that. "I just heard noise over here and got curious, then the guy attacked me." he grimaced remembering the stabbing. "Besides, I didn't last two minutes, you guys seem to have fared far better over here."

"Perhaps, but that worked because we only had one to deal with. If you hadn't started fighting the other man, then we would have been fighting two people at once. That might not have ended so well." Kira saw Wita's wave and waved back. It looked like they were okay to go talk to them now.

"It looks like they're done talking. Should we go see if we're allowed to leave yet?"

1 hour ago, Hope Spren said:

"Perhaps, but that worked because we only had one to deal with. If you hadn't started fighting the other man, then we would have been fighting two people at once. That might not have ended so well." Kira saw Wita's wave and waved back. It looked like they were okay to go talk to them now.

"It looks like they're done talking. Should we go see if we're allowed to leave yet?"

"Yeah, lets." said Lewis, a bit distracted. Such a kind, normal conversation. He didn't remember the last time he had talked to someone about anything that wasn't business. Whether he was looking for a job, food or a room, it was always business.

That left them in a bit of an awkward spot. They had both agreed to go talk to Wita and Marcel, and yet neither of them had moved. That made it so that one of them now had to move first, after both agreeing that they should. It should probably be Kira, because she was the one who had originally asked the question, and she knew Wita and Marcel better. But if Kira started walking first, then it would seem like she wasn't interested in her conversation with Lewis. But if she didn't start walking, then it would also be weird because she had asked if they should talk to Marcel and Wita, and then didn't do anything about it! Solutions . . . solutions . . . She could start walking first, but that would be kind of awkward after just standing there for a little bit, so that wouldn't work. She could say something like, "after you," with a smile and accompanying sweeping hand motion, but that could also be done very wrong. Inspiration struck, and Kira found herself trying to keep a relieved smile from showing on her face.

Kira turned, and began walking backwards towards Marcel and Wita, really hoping that Lyssa would tell her if she was about to fall. Taking a quick glance at Lyssa, it seemed unlikely, The spren was still following Kira, but she hadn't formed any of her usual figures. Kira would have asked if she was alright, but Lewis didn't seem to be able to see Lyssa, and she didn't want to start talking to the ground. That would be both weird and awkward. In other words, exactly what she had just been trying to avoid. She looked back at Lewis, vowing to herself that she would figure out what was up with her spren at the first opportunity. "What's your name? It seems impolite not to ask, since you helped us out and all. Mine's Kira."

Oh right. Lyssa is visible to everyone at this moment, isnt' she? Ummm, let's say it was a bit dark and he was a bit distracted with dying so he hasn't noticed?

Lewis followed when the girl started walking. That looked slightly dangerous, it would be ironic if, having managed to come out of the fight unharmed, she fell and hurt herself. He kept an eye open just in case.

"What's your name? It seems impolite not to ask, since you helped us out and all. Mine's Kira." she asked. "I'm Lewis." he answered and kept walking, it was strange somehow, having nothing to say. Uncomfortable. Had silences always been this heavy? He decided to break it and try to get the full picture while he was at it. "Did you know him?" he asked, gesturing towards the man lying on the floor.

Wita laughed when Kira walked towards them without turning away from Lewis. It looked funny, although it seemed a bit weird? She knew they were still talking, but she didn't strain her ears to listen to them. A plan. They needed some kind of plan, which she would leave to Marcel. He seemed wise. Huming the melody of Sugar, sugar she waited for him to reply, still holding his seal. The other man had cried, as if in pain. But then it had stopped. Wita shivvered and stored more to get rid of that thought.

“Sure thing,” Marcel said to Wita, agreeing to tell her about how her Feruchemy worked. But now... was certainly not the best 9 times, definitely not while they hung around a dead body in an alleyway. It was a good thing there was no such thing as ‘DNA forensics’ or their fingerprints would be all over the man’s stuff.

He looked to Kira and Lewis. Having a conversation about the victim.

“Do you both want to help?” He asked, tilting his head to the side. He didn’t mind he’d interrupted their little heart to-heart, they could have their little teenage flirting later. A grin quirked at the tips of Marcel’s lips.

"Please come."

Wita asked them both, though more Kira. She wanted to play with the fairy a bit longer. Happily she stayed at Marcel's side, grateful that he'd agreed to help her, explain things to her.

"It's a good day."

She added quietly, thoughtfully. Because it was true. The corpse - death was just a part of life, nothing more. Looking down at the stamp again she traced it's design with her finger. Beautiful. Like a story she couldn't read, couldn't understand. Maybe he could explain that as well. What he did, how he made these beautiful designs. Smiling she imagined a whole canvas full of them. A whole mural. Beautiful.

"Thank you."

@Eluvianii

@Hope Spren

@I think I am here.

4 hours ago, Sorana said:

“Thank you."

Marcel didn’t know who she was thanking, but he shrugged all the same. A good day, she’d said. Marcel wondered how it must have been, to be happy like that, happy and ignorant. He was almost envious, but gently focused his thoughts back to the stamp, tried to read the symbols he had etched onto it. It was a alteration symbol, to the make the subject physically weaker when applied.

Most stamp-magics had a Subject the stamp focused on, Marcel had learnt long ago, but never as much as bloodsealing. In his magic, stamps needed blood. You couldn’t get more targeted than that. It meant effects were specific, and that allowed further manipulation. You could do so many things to someone if you just had their blood.

“Should we go to his house?” Marcel asked. “It seems weird he’d walk all the way from there just to be murdered.”

On 9/7/2019 at 7:47 PM, Eluvianii said:

"Did you know him?" he asked, gesturing towards the man lying on the floor.

Kira shook her head at Lewis's question, eyes growing sad. "No. I almost wish I had, though."

Wita said something, and Kira turned. "Please come," Wita said. "It's a good day." Kira looked to Lewis, confused, and hoping he might have heard where exactly they were going. Marcel helped clear that up with his next words.

"Should we go to his house? It seems weird he'd walk all the way from there just to be murdered."

"You're investigating what happened to Christopher? I'm in." She tried to lower her voice in case those thugs from earlier were still around. They were supposed to just leave, right? Not hang around asking questions. "His house seems like a good place to start. Do you know where it is?"