I had a Thought about Rysn

Grytorm

So I'e been moving backward on the forums reading things that seemed interested in and two things related to Rysn stood out. One was someone liking the idea of her taking a larger role (which would be cool) but being uncomfortable with her regaining the ability to walk. And the other was someone speculating on her becoming a Bondsmith by binding the Nightwatcher. 

My idea is that at some point things start to become desperate and people could really use another Bondsmith but the Nightwatcher and the Sibling will not get involved. And then Rysn goes to the Nightwatcher and makes a wish.

"I wish to fight beside those people who I didnt interact with before this book and bring them together in defiance of Odium. Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."

And the Nightwatcher grants her boon and becomes bound to her. But the cost would be that stormlight would not repair the damage done to her body by the fall. She would have to live with it. She probably could use Stormlight to gain some mobility. But she would still be something something not certain how to correctly make a point which would be respectful to people with disabilities.

Also one idea is that Stormlight would let her walk again but this capacity would always fade when the storm quited.

8 hours ago, twenty second of the sun said:

MMMMMmmmmm. I really like that theory of having to request a bond with the nightwatcher .

It also thematically mirrors the idea of browbeating the Stormfather - a literal storm that sweeps the entire planet and practically annihilates anything stupid enough to be out in the open in it's path - into bonding.

I think if Rysn were to become a Radiant of any order, Stormlight wouldn't heal her legs. Renarin already tried to heal them in OB. 

I like the idea of her becoming a radiant though, but I think she might fit the Willshapers or maybe Dustbringers better than Bondsmiths from what we've seen. And there's Chiri-Chiri who's a baby lanceryn. She doesn't need to be able to walk to become a badass Radiant crab-dragon-rider. 

43 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

I think if Rysn were to become a Radiant of any order, Stormlight wouldn't heal her legs. Renarin already tried to heal them in OB. 

I like the idea of her becoming a radiant though, but I think she might fit the Willshapers or maybe Dustbringers better than Bondsmiths from what we've seen. And there's Chiri-Chiri who's a baby lanceryn. She doesn't need to be able to walk to become a badass Radiant crab-dragon-rider. 

Yeah I only started thinking about Stormlight Archive again recently and hadn't reread Oathbringer. And yeah it makes sense if she can't be healed one way she can't be healed another.

As for the Order I don't really know. My backwards moving logic for being a Bondsmith is actually because of the traveling and meeting new peoples thing that also make her a good match for the Willshapers. Partially I like the idea of someone having a different take on the Bondsmiths, reaching out to bring people together instead of Dalinar who focuses on his role in Alethkar and on the nations he is most familiar with. And such a different interpretation seems important because the Stormfather, the Nightwatcher and the Sibling are all different.

Also she seems a good fit for the third Bondsmith oath in some ways.

I subscribe to the Rysn - Dustbringer theory. Partially because I love Rysn and Dustbringers, partially because it would be super-cool. I also think that brave and obedient fits Rysn pretty well. I don’t really think that pious or guiding are attributes connected to her. Characters like Rock or Navani fits that much better.

That said, requesting a bond with the Nightwatcher is a super cool idea, which I hadn’t thought of. I really, really hope that happens.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:22 AM, Ciridae said:

It's possible Renarin wasn't able to heal her legs because her spirit thinks of her as not having usable legs since she's been so down on herself since the accident. Maybe if she overcomes that mental block she could be healed, but I like the idea of her instead learning she's still a valuable person regardless of whether her legs work or not, and learning to contribute to the fight against Odium despite her legs, like she's already been doing in OB. 

• Chaos locked this topic