Hoid's sand mastery(if that what it is)

So I was thinking about the realmatic theory of how hoid's powers work. My theory is that somehow, he combines sand mastery with allomancy, the resonance creating an ability to connect you to hoid's story. This is (kind of) supported by Hoid's explanation of how he got his powers in Warbreaker as 

“ “I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn’t know who he was, your majesty.  It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died.”

This possibly could refer to the well of ascension and his encounter with Kelsier in secret history.

I don't think Hoid has sand mastery. There's no point where he uses sand in any similar manner to the sand masters on Taldain. Also, just being a Mistborn results in too many powers to have a Resonance. Adding sand mastery into that would make it even less likely for him to have any kind of a Resonance.

Yata

There is something that recently was debade by some fans and I hope you may give some clue about the "side effect of interaction between magic" as was pointed in the Twinborn and Surgebinder Cases: Are those "perks" stackable ? To say if I am a Fullborn like Rashek, wil I have all the possible Twinborn's perks or a specific "Fullborn's perk" ? And about the same topic, a Mistborn or Full Feruchemist has his own perk/perks ?

Brandon Sanderson

I've worked under the premise that if you hold too many of the powers, like a Mistborn, the result is a loss of these little quirks. The mechanics of it are interesting, but I'll leave you to theorize on that sort of thing.

General Reddit 2016 (Oct. 5, 2016)

18 minutes ago, The Elemental Shard said:

“ “I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn’t know who he was, your majesty.  It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died.”

This possibly could refer to the well of ascension and his encounter with Kelsier in secret history.

It's very unlikely that he's referring to Scadrial. No gods have died on Scadrial, for instance (The Vessels died but not the power). And we saw his encounter with Kelsier. He didn't "learn" anything there. There're also no lands meeting in Scadrial. It's far more likely he's referring to Yolen and his original master, that he took the name "Hoid" from.

Edited by RShara

We have a WoB that what Hoid did in Warbreaker has nothing to do with Sand Mastery. The WoB also confirms that what Hoid was talking about involved Yolen specifically.

31 minutes ago, Etherealness said:

Doesn't someone, either Hoid or Mraize I'm pretty sure, use sand from Taldain to detect nearby Investiture usage?

Mraize has some Taldaini sand and Brandon has confirmed that anyone can use it as a sort of Inverstiture Radar. Hoid has a jar as well.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic