On 2/5/2020 at 3:07 PM, Spaceferring said:

"I", Zaphoid told the shaken woman, "am Zaphoid Beeblerock, spacefarer extraordinaire, Tinkerer of Gods, the monarch of Frogstar B and its entire population of 8 insects. As for what happened to your bug, I may or may not have thrown a lectern on it. You should care more for the hygiene of this place, by the way."

He glanced under the lectern and, unsurprisingly, the bug was gone.

"Hey, where did Chuck go? I was almost certain he was dead..."

@Rushu42

Aln blinked at him, automatically running through the planets of the Cosmere in her head. Frogstar B? Why have I never heard of this place? She put this from her mind, though, as Zaphoid announced the disappearance of the cremling.

"That bug," she said as calmly as she could manage, "is a part of a very powerful and mentally unstable Sleepless named John Redleaf. He was a high-ranked member of the Bureau of Villainy. I doubt that a lectern would dissuade him for long."

She picked up the lectern and carefully moved it back to its corner, eyes scanning the ground for the insect. 

"I'm Aln, by the way," she added over her shoulder, remembering her manners. "Alanis Sheneth, leader of this guild."

On 13/02/2020 at 4:00 AM, Rushu42 said:

Aln blinked at him, automatically running through the planets of the Cosmere in her head. Frogstar B? Why have I never heard of this place? She put this from her mind, though, as Zaphoid announced the disappearance of the cremling.

"That bug," she said as calmly as she could manage, "is a part of a very powerful and mentally unstable Sleepless named John Redleaf. He was a high-ranked member of the Bureau of Villainy. I doubt that a lectern would dissuade him for long."

She picked up the lectern and carefully moved it back to its corner, eyes scanning the ground for the insect. 

"I'm Aln, by the way," she added over her shoulder, remembering her manners. "Alanis Sheneth, leader of this guild."

I only realised the Lectern Thrower had said something when Aln answered him, judging by what she said and how she looked the ground, the bug had probably found a way to get out from under the lectern, I considered helping her finding the cremling -I had been able to find where Aln was after having looked under the lectern so I guess it would be technically possible- but I would probably have been very inefficient at that and I would risk missing important informations, like that John had been found or...

"I'm Aln, by the way, Alanis Sheneth, leader of this guild."

Or that one, I shoot Aln -no, her name's Alanis- a confused look, why had she introduced herself with her nick name and without mentioning she was the guildmaster? I had understood she was some kind of HRD manager.

Anyway, it was time to introduce myself to the Lectern Thrower.

"My name is Folorian, I'm a new member of this guild. Euh... You probably already said it but... What is your name?"

@Spaceferring@Ark1002

Edited by mathiau

Zaphoid blinked. He had introduced himself, what, 5 seconds ago?

Never mind, he thought. Practice for his grand entrance would always be welcome. He set his foot on a stool, struck a dramatic pose and declared:

"I am Zaphoid Beeblerock, monarch of Frogstar B, spacefarer extraordinaire, Tinkerer of Gods, Eater of Cheddar Popcorn. You seem to have quite the fleeting memory, Folorian!"

@mathiau

"I am Zaphoid Beeblerock, monarch of Frogstar B, spacefarer extraordinaire, Tinkerer of Gods"

Spacefarer? Like in goes in space? And what does he mean by Tinkerer of Gods?

" Eater of Cheddar Popcorn"

Euh... Ok?

"You seem to have quite the fleeting memory, Folorian!"

So he had already introduced himslef. Rust. Well, I need to practice explaining my bane to people anyway.

"The problem is not my memory, it's my senses, basically I didn't realize you were talking so I didn't hear you, it's a Nightwatcher bane if you've heard about her" I hoped that would be enough as much information as he would need for today, he would explain in more detail if he were to become a member of the guild. "You mentioned being a 'spacefarer' and a 'Tinkerer of Gods', could you explain me what these mean? Do you come from a civilisation that has conquered space?"

"No, I was just the first one to travel between planets in the Physical Realm. Everybody else just went to Shadesmar, you know? Seemed more fun the way I did it."

Zaphoid cleared his throat and continued.

"Of course, my method ended with my getting stranded on some random planet. I crashed my spaceship, so I had to rebuild one from scratch. Surprisingly, it worked: hence Tinkerer of Gods."

Zaphoid did not mention that he had invented most of those titles, and decided not to pry upon Folorian's experience with the Nightwatcher.

• 1 month later...

John rushed inside. Books! There were books here! The amount of knowledge in this building was unthinkable! "Excuse me, are those books for everyone?" He asked the woman who seemed to be in charge, not that it mattered in the least whether they were or not, he would read them either way. Still, he thought it never hurts to be polite.

@Rushu42

Edited by The_Archivist

On 15/02/2020 at 6:57 PM, Spaceferring said:

"No, I was just the first one to travel between planets in the Physical Realm. Everybody else just went to Shadesmar, you know? Seemed more fun the way I did it."

Zaphoid cleared his throat and continued.

"Of course, my method ended with my getting stranded on some random planet. I crashed my spaceship, so I had to rebuild one from scratch. Surprisingly, it worked: hence Tinkerer of Gods."

Zaphoid did not mention that he had invented most of those titles, and decided not to pry upon Folorian's experience with the Nightwatcher.

Well for a reason to be called Tinkerer of Gods that seemed rather unrelated to them, self-given title perhaps?

... I had no idea how to continue the conversation, I was... not good with conversations

Is there anything in the room I talk about...? The clocks? No... Zerameth? No that would be rude... Rust, seeing only one thing at at time made this hard... The stranger in the entrance? That would be rude too...

Wait their is a stranger in the entrance? Had he said something? Maybe...

I got closer the stranger and said "Excuse me mister, did you say something? I-I did not hear"

Thanks @The_Archivist , I had no idea what to answer to @Spaceferring :unsure:

@Arcc1002 @The_Archivist @Rushu42

11 minutes ago, The_Archivist said:

John startled, it was not who he spoke to, but it'll do. "I asked if these books are for everyone."

Were the books for everyone? Well the guild's aim was to spread knowledge so...

"I guess everyone can read them here, I'm not sure if you can borrow them, you'd have to ask Alanis, our guild master." after what I guess was a few second I added "Also, my name is Folorian, nice to meet you"

Folorian is a guy :)

Also, so you are ready for the inevitable quid pro quo, we are currently attacked by a cremling of a Sleepless name John Smith, and that cremling is currently crawling Folorian's legs

1 minute ago, The_Archivist said:

"Thanks, my name's John Smith."

A second John? I hope this one won't get a lectern on his head, doesn't look like he would survive it.

"Well John  you can go read the books, I'm here if you have questions"

Actually I'm dumb, his name is John Redleaf, honestly it could still make some quid pro quo

Aln looked up as another person stepped through the door, and began conversing with Folorian. She took a deep breath, trying to suppress the panic she felt over the still-missing cremling. Now was the time for her to be a guild leader, not to have an emotional breakdown. 

"Hello," she said, stepping up to the newcomer, who had begun perusing a shelf. "My name's Alanis Sheneth, although I commonly go by Aln. Welcome to the Scholar's Guild."

@The_Archivist

Well, it appears that this thread has returned. It's nice timing, as I was just preparing to resurrect myself from inactivity anyway. I'm going to tag Ark in case he wants to continue the plot with Redleaf, but otherwise I think it's okay if we move the conversation along.

@Arcc1002

Just now, Invocation said:

We're back? Neat. I think Zerameth is still here, technically, he just has 0 combat application.

Gosh, I nearly forgot about him. In my defense, it has been 2 months. I think he's still in the corner, right? I can have Aln go over and talk to him if you want. 

Yeah Zerameth is still here, the last that happened to him was Folorian lend him a copper medallion so he can share the memory of his fits more easily. In retrospect asking an amnesiac to store his memories in a copermind might not be the best idea I had.

2 minutes ago, The_Archivist said:

"Hi, I'm John, I'm here for the books." He said, offering a handshake.

Aln shook the proffered hand and attempted a smile. "That's why I have them. Are you looking for anything in particular?"

John is a common name on several planets, she reminded herself. Don't overthink it.

Edited by Rushu42

Zerameth's head whirled. A bug? That they were fighting? Where did it go? Why did it feel so...familiarly wrong? It made his missing memories ache even more than the copper medallion did. That...thing was still there, watching him in an eyeless gaze, lurking at the corners of his vision. Store a memory. Store a memory. How? What memory did he have to store? What if he couldn't get it back? He felt stretched, pulled, too many directions at once. It was a tiring sensation. 

He stumbled forward, grabbing the newcomer by the shoulder, manners tossed away, heedless of an interruption. "Do you know me?" he asked, eyes darting around, looking for that bug...thing...that had so disconcerted him. "Have you seen it?"

5 minutes ago, The_Archivist said:

"Hi, I'm John, I'm here for the books." He said, offering a handshake.

2 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln shook the proffered hand and attempted a smile. "That's why I have them. Are you looking for anything in particular?"

John is a common name on several planets, she reminded herself. Don't overthink it.

I turned to see who John was talking to.. Oh, Alanis. She didn't look happy, I hope she's not angry I didn't ask her authorisation before authorizing John to take the books... She's the boss, of course she's pissed about that, rust.

"Euh... I took the liberty to let him read the books, I-I... I hope I didn't make a mistake...?"

Just now, The_Archivist said:

clearly mentally unstable

Understatement :P 

Zerameth laughed, pitch shifting with every staccato, forcibly spit syllable. "Of course you haven't! No one has! I haven't seen me!" He tottered back to his seat in the corner like a man trying to walk unadjusted on the deck of a ship amid a storm and collapsed into it heavily, putting his head into his hands.

So, several things happened at once. I'm going to take the liberty of putting them in an order that would make sense, if that's alright.

He wants to know about Aimia? Of course he does. Aln shook her head, feeling surreal. She opened her mouth to direct him to a suitable tome, but Folorian spoke first. 

"No, that's fine," she said. "It's-" But she was cut off again when, suddenly, Zerameth lunged forward and grabbed John by the shoulders. Aln took an involuntary step backwards as he laughed crazily and tottered back to his seat. 

"Excuse me a moment," she said to the other two, then followed him. She paused, unsure of how to begin a conversation, then spoke cautiously. "What is it that you're looking for?"

@Invocation @mathiau @The_Archivist

Edited by Rushu42