How is Skyward Related to Sanderson's Other Works?

Firebolt-101

Excuse my rambling nature, but this is something that I have thought about since I first finished Skyward and now that I've joined the 17th shard I would like to see what the community has to say about it. Please keep in mind that as of right now the only books I've read by Sanderson are the Stormlight Archive books and Skyward, so I will most definitely be missing information. If someone who has more experience would add on, I would be very grateful. Also please note that this will have spoilers for both the Stormlight Archive and Skyward.

Okay, so my theory essentially boils down to the Stormlight Archive and Skyward being connected in that they were both involved in the war between humans and aliens. 

As anyone who's finished Skyward would know, the characters are being imprisoned on a planet for their role in a massive war that the humans lost. They are considered dangerous and uncivilized and so the Krell are ordered to not let them leave the planet. And while this seems like a completely different concept than that of the Stormlight Archive (a fantasy series that shies away from anything even close to the technology represented in Skyward), I can't help but see the similarities.

My best evidence for this comes from the Dawnchant that was translated in Oathbringer.

"They came from another world. Using powers that we have been forbidden to touch. Dangerous powers, of spren and Surges. They destroyed their lands and have come to us begging. We took them in, as commanded by our gods. What else could we do? They were a people forlorn, without home. Our pity destroyed us. . ."

So this is essentially saying that the first humans to come to Roshar came as refugees because their lands were destroyed. And in Skyward, the humans have been left on Detritus because of them leaving Earth and eventually getting involved in wars.

Though I will say that another snippet of information that has caught my attention is the use pf metal in both books. In Skyward, metal parts routinely fall from the sky due to the massive debris layer covering the sky. In Oathbringer, it is also revealed by Tarvangian that a special material has been used in the creation of Half-Shards (the only shield that can withstand the hit of a shardblade). I don't remember what chapter this is from in Oathbringer, otherwise I'd look it up for the full quote, but if any does please let me know.

If the people in Skyward and the Stormlight Archive were connected through a common link to Earth, there would be no way for them to know as the desolations wiped out human knowledge so thoroughly in the SA that the only credible sources of their history comes from documents like the Dawnchant.

Really the only thing that I can find that doesn't add up to this is the timeline and how Skyward isn't a part of the Cosmere. So obviously I know this isn't accurate to the stories and the connection isn't there, but I couldn't help but see similarities and I thought I'd share.

As you say yourself, Skyward (and any other Brandon Sanderson books that feature Earth) is not part of the Cosmere. Humans in the Cosmere have no linkage to Earth as Earth does not exist in this universe (or is too far away in another galaxy to allow exchange - I am not sure how it works exactly).

However, the similarities you highlight are interesting. And I am looking forward to seeing how leaving their home planet and dealing with alien lifeforms will play out for humankind in both worlds. 

The similarities you have are, whilst genuinely interesting, completely irrelevant because it has been confirmed to not be part of the Cosmere. It originally was planned to be which might explain these ideas you've mentioned but as @equinox stated; Earth is not a part of the Cosmere. If it were then we'd have to include Reckoners, Snapshot, Legion and so on which, whilst great, would prove more convoluted. 

I think that it's great your mind works to try and include connections which is a great Cosmere discussion! It would be good if the Earth stories were connected in some way also.

Good theory though, it was a great read:D

Not sure I understand.  You say you have a theory that Skyward and Stormlight are related, but then your last paragraph states that you know that they're not.  

Skyward is, however, related to another of Brandon's works: a short story called Defending Elysium.  It's a short story (available on his website) that predates the alien-human war.  

Edited by Scion of the Mists

2 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Not sure I understand.  You say you have a theory that Skyward and Stormlight are related, but then your last paragraph states that you know that they're not.  

Skyward is, however, related to another of Brandon's works: a short story called Defending Elysium.  It's a short story (available on his website) that predates the alien-human war.  

Yeah, at the beginning I got kind of ahead of myself but I made sure to correct it at the end. Sorry about that :o

40 minutes ago, Firebolt-101 said:

Yeah, at the beginning I got kind of ahead of myself but I made sure to correct it at the end. Sorry about that :o

No problem.  The parallels are pretty interesting.  

There's a lot of similarities in Brandon's works, even the ones that don't take place in the same universe.  

• 4 weeks later...