What is Jasnah hiding? And why does she do it?

In WoR, Shallan implies Jasnah was going to the Shattered Plains to sniff out Urithiru. Jasnah never mentioned this; she's a good liar. 

Jasnah obviously knew of the Parshendi and the Knights far before the actual Desolation started, yet she didn't tell anyone for years. I know she says no one would believe her, but at the time of WoR, she still felt that way and suddenly decided it was time to try convincing her family. 

She knew of humanity's history and didn't share. This one I understand — fear of the Recreance, spurred by Ivory. Still harbored a bit of resentment that she didn't tell anyone, but at least she was justified this time. 

With her meeting with Hoid and years-lomg headstart, Brandon really set her up to be an information hog. What else is she hiding? And why does she do it? Other Sharders commented on paranoia, and if it's a family trait, she definitely could share that with Elhokar. 

Has anyone proved any real need for any information that Jasnah has?  I doubt that she will tell anything potentially critical to anyone unless they need it and she has no other choice.  Also the last time she revealed that she had to much information she was killed.

I'm rereading Stormlight now.  In her talks with Shallan, Jasnah does mention that she's tried to convince scholars and even some monarchs about the parshmen and the threat of the voidbringers.  She even says that her mother is interested in going over her notes.  She also mentions that she thought that her bond with Ivory might be an anomoly.  It wasn't until she realized that Shallan had bonded a different type of spren that she began to think that surgebinding was coming back.

When Shallan first gets to talk to Navani, Navani says this... 

It felt terrible. Not just to be reminded of the death, but to weigh others down with it as well. “I have information for you,” Shallan said, trying to be delicate. “About the things Jasnah was working on.”
“More about those parshmen?” Navani snapped. “Storms, that woman was too fascinated by them. Ever since she got it into her head that she was to blame for Gavilar’s death.”

Jasnah did try. 

She's paranoid and secretive, but not unreasonably so. 

Besides, something happened to her as a child, if I remember correctly it involved ardents. Perhaps she said the wrong thing to someone and was confined. Her childhood episode, whatever it was, I think more than anything explains Jasnah's secretiveness.

Just because she's paranoid doesn't mean the ghostbloods aren't after her. She goes to great lengths to conceal her soulcasting abilities, but it was probably worth it. 

The one time I think she's being a bit unreasonable is in dismissing her shardplate during the battle of Thaylen field. She is in a city where giant rockmonsters are smashing buildings and tossing things all over. Keep the armor on, please.  Maybe she would heal from a building falling on her but she would use stormlight that could be used for something else and she could still be pinned down and taken out of the battle for a time. 

She learned a bunch of things from the High spren about previous desolations that are no longer as useful because the Everstorm is new and Odium rides it. Wit gave her information about the Heralds which she has tried to act on first suggesting hunting them down to kill, but now just capturing a couple.  She probably knows more details of Shadesmar, but didn't think they were that relevant to share because who would anticipate Shallan and co getting stranded there. 

Also its not like she has that many people she can confide in.  If she were to confide in her family members they may move to stop some of her activities because of their morals or because they fear for her safety, her ward has proven "somewhat" untrustworthy, and she does not seem to have anyone who she regards as personal friends(at least that we have met).  The only people she does open up to are her colleges the Veristitalians and she probably has good reasons for trusting them.

As a side note I can see her becoming more open with Adolin or Shallan if they where to come clean about some of the more morally ambiguous things that they have done.

Edited by Karger

7 hours ago, Calderis said:

When Shallan first gets to talk to Navani, Navani says this... 

Jasnah did try. 

She's paranoid and secretive, but not unreasonably so. 

Hm, I didn't think of this. Good point! I suppose her behavior leaves more to blame on the stifling society she lives in rather than she herself.

Edited by The Night Watcher

16 hours ago, The Night Watcher said:

Hm, I didn't think of this. Good point! I suppose her behavior leaves more to blame on the stifling society she lives in rather than she herself.

Not sure if you saw it when I posted it, or if you commented, but please give my "Jasnah more than meets the eye" thread a read. I go over all quotes that mention Jasnah over the course of Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. It was very illuminating for me (sorry for the pun lol). I am currently working on Oathbringer and will post it when I can. 

• Chaos locked this topic