Shardblades and Gold Feruchemy

The Grumpy Elantrian

So quite simply, my question is would a gold compounder be able to survive having their central nervous system severed by a shardblade? We know that gold healing is fundamentally the same as all healing in the cosmere, and so if stormlight can heal a shardblade wound then so can gold feruchemy. 

But we also know that gold compounders can heal from basically any wound as long as they have access to their metalminds. So would they be able to heal from a normally mortal wound from a shardblade? Or is that a special exception?

Gold can heal at a much faster rate than stormlights apparently fixed (maybe tiered by oath level?) rate. 

This WoB does not explicitly say what you're asking is possible... But I think through implication, it would be difficult not to be true. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

If a Shardblade was put through Wayne's eye, would he able to use his ability to [heal the wound]?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, he should be able to heal that.

Oathbringer Leeds signing (Dec. 1, 2017)

It would be difficult to put a shardblade through the eye without going into the brain... That said, it's definitely not explicit.

Edit: additionally, we know gold can heal things that should definitely kill you instantly. 

Logic_Nuke

Could decapitation kill a Gold Compounder? With a guillotine, for example?

Brandon Sanderson

Most forms of extreme cosmere healing don't care much what is done to the physical body, as the person's spiritual template is in power at the time.

/r/books AMA 2015 (July 6, 2015)

And with that wording... I think it would protect against shardblades, because you'd be actively empowering what's being attacked. 

Better be tapping before the blade hits though... 

Edited by Calderis

• Chaos locked this topic