Does Brandon Sanderson have a favorite character?

Kelevra

I think it's Kaladin. Seems like he enjoys writing him for the most and he dedicated the whole book series to him. I would say it' Kaladin.

I also think he has a special fondness for Lift and Renarin. In "Edgedancer" introduction he wrote that Lift is one of his favorites. As for Renarin, he never said that, so I don't have any proofs, but somehow I feel so.

I'm pretty sure I did - on several occasions - read that Dalinar has been his favourite and that he's one of the "oldest" characters in SA because he's been around in his head for decades.
Also yes, Lift as stated in Edgedancer. And you can tell. Every time Lift has a POV, I can't stop smiling because I can feel in every line how much fun Brandon had while writing.

There is a ton of WoBs out there. He usually does not give a specific answer to this question. But Dalinar shows up sometimes. As @Winds Alight already said, he (together with Hold) is around the longest in Brandon Sanderson's head (since Brandon was 15 years old).

Questioner

I know the whole, like, "all those characters are your children" type of thing, but is there a favorite one of yours, from your writing and/or how the character is played out.

Brandon Sanderson

Um, I-- You know-- Robert Jordan always said, "It's whoever I'm writing at the moment", which I've stolen wholesale and said that a lot of times. If I'm pressed, I'll usually pick Dalinar, just 'cause he was one of the first, but that doesn't do it justice, because you really do need to-- when whoever you're writing needs to be your favorite at the time.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

21 hours ago, Italik said:

Is it true that Brandon named on of his sons after Dalinar?

This is...true. I listened audio record from one of his signings and, yeah, Brandon has said it.

Eh. When I asked him about Dalinar, he said Dalinar is his favorite too. Not in a million year I will believe he's Brandon's favorite. If I were a writer and had a favorite charactet, I would, well write more of him. And seems like Brandon has more interest in writing other characters. Maybe he sees it differently than I do though.

Just because we've had less word count of Dalinar it doesn't mean he is a less important character, or that we will get fewer words in later books. This is a false assumption.

For example, Hoid hardly ever appears, can you say that Sanderson doesn't consider Hoid one of his favourites?

Don't let your anticipation take over, there is still much to look forward to.

Hoid will have two big series dedicated to him. Dragonsteel, three prequel books, has Hoid as a primary main character. Basically, these three books are Hoid's backstory. Mistborn 3 or 4 (I forgot...3 or 4? Or both?) also has Hoid as a main character, and these books are Cosmere endgame. We know that Hoid is probably the most important character of the whole Cosmere saga and will play crucial role in how it will end. This is a given. 

All we know about Dalinar, is that he has a (arguably small) role in the first half of SA. Not even the whole SA series, but only the first half of the series. Brandon never said that Dalinar will be important or that he will have a role in the second half of SA and beyond (in Cosmere). Brandon's silence can be interpreted like: 1) he doesn't mention Dalinar after book 5 of SA, because Dalinar doesn't have any role after book 5 of SA (he's dead and gone), hence there's nothing to mention. or 2) he doesn't mention Dalinar after book 5 of SA, because Dalinar has a super-important role to play, and Brandon doesn't want to spoil it.

So, these two variants. I think the first variant is the most likely variant. He never says anything about Dalinar, because there's nothing to say. 

@LerasiumMistborn

You are misunderstanding my point. You are assuming that Dalinar is an unimportant character based on word count, but for Hoid you aren't doing the same. Whatever you think of Hoid comes from assumptions, not necessarily WoBs and even if they were, Sanderson is leaving enough breadcrumbs for Hoid (and for future books) as much he does for Dalinar (and future SA), yet you assume one is a lot more important in their own series(and their respective future books) than the other.

1 hour ago, LerasiumMistborn said:

Brandon's silence can be interpreted like: 1) he doesn't mention Dalinar after book 5 of SA, because Dalinar doesn't have any role after book 5 of SA (he's dead and gone), hence there's nothing to mention. or 2) he doesn't mention Dalinar after book 5 of SA, because Dalinar has a super-important role to play, and Brandon doesn't want to spoil it.

So, these two variants. I think the first variant is the most likely variant. He never says anything about Dalinar, because there's nothing to say. 

Let's agree to disagree then because it's basically a RAFO.

• Chaos locked this topic