Leacher vs. Radiant.

beantheboy12

Leechers are confirmed to be able to drain Breath and they could 'kill' a Lifeless this way, setting the question of 'leakiness' aside Stormlight and Breath are very similar so a Leecher should have no trouble affecting stored Stormlight as long as they can hold on to the Surgebinder long enough for their ability to work. We also know (albeit via a paraphrased WoB) that a Leecher could prevent Surgebinders from summoning their spren in weapon form.

In general, a magic that does one particular thing is going to be following the same underlying principles as any other magic capable of doing the same thing. F-Chromium and Larkins are noted to be like this and Brandon has called out things like A-Electrum and Sak's Aviar talent, Yolish and Rosharan Lightweaving and Kokerlii's talent compared to A-Copper.

Edited by Weltall

On 2/13/2019 at 7:07 PM, Weltall said:

We also know (albeit via a paraphrased WoB) that a Leecher could prevent Surgebinders from summoning their spren in weapon form.

I wonder how fast this would use up their chromium. Same idea for Breath too, I wonder what the conversion to grams of chromium is.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

22 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I wonder how fast this would use up their chromium. Same idea for Breath too, I wonder what the conversion to grams of chromium is.

I wish we knew. Brandon says that at some point he might a conversion thing for the Investiture types, but it won't be for quite a while, if ever.

2 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Relevant WoB here, one day we might be able to grab a pencil and paper and do this kind of calculation.

Podman36 [PENDING REVIEW]

How effective would a Leecher be at draining Breath?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

They could be fairly effective.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

How significant would the difference be between Breath and Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That, I'll RAFO for now, because we're actually getting the actual numbers. We have certain people working on a project for that.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

Just now, Lord Stickborn said:

Wait... I missed this whole Nazh Threnodite gun thing, please elaborate on this cause that sounds interesting 

I'm going to put in a spoiler for the broadsheet excerpts in Era 2 (I think it was Shadows of Self, but I might be getting confused).

Spoiler

There's a broadsheet story about two people wrestling over a map/banner thing and the other one (from the perspective of the teller) curses, using "Shadows," a Threnodite curse. He later fires a gun that has glowing symbols on the side of it. They start green and go red, then a screaming ghostly figure is forcefully shot at the target, and the woman telling the story (a Leecher) relates that she burns Chromium and touches the gun and it does the same thing as draining Metallic Art power from someone. She phrases it something like "taking the power and returning it elsewhere."

5 minutes ago, Lord Stickborn said:

Wait... I missed this whole Nazh Threnodite gun thing, please elaborate on this cause that sounds interesting 

It's in one of the broadsheets from Era 2 Mistborn.

@Invocation Beat me to it.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

2 hours ago, Invocation said:

I'm going to put in a spoiler for the broadsheet excerpts in Era 2 (I think it was Shadows of Self, but I might be getting confused).

Hide contents

There's a broadsheet story about two people wrestling over a map/banner thing and the other one (from the perspective of the teller) curses, using "Shadows," a Threnodite curse. He later fires a gun that has glowing symbols on the side of it. They start green and go red, then a screaming ghostly figure is forcefully shot at the target, and the woman telling the story (a Leecher) relates that she burns Chromium and touches the gun and it does the same thing as draining Metallic Art power from someone. She phrases it something like "taking the power and returning it elsewhere."

Ahh I missed that thanks! The broad sheets always have something interesting going on 

On 2/20/2019 at 9:43 AM, John203 said:

So I'm still slightly list. I recall the story, but what reasons do we have for believing tha a: the story is reliable, and b: the man in it is Nazh? 

Edited by WhiteEmporer

25 minutes ago, WhiteEmporer said:

So I'm still slightly list. I recall the story, but what reasons do we have for believing tha a: the story is reliable, and b: the man in it is Nazh? 

To the first, we don't, and I don't believe for a second that Nicky Savage is any more reliable in her storytelling than Jak. 

As to the second... 

Questioner

We saw the broadsheet lady destroy--do something to--was that Nazh that was in the broadsheet?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, mmhmm.  I’m not going to talk on that one.  that’s a RAFO.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

• Chaos locked this topic