Spren killing each other in physical realm

Elend  Venture

Question

Syl kills a red voidspren that is near the prince (kings son) in the form of a dagger in Kaladin's hand. Do all Radient blades have the ability to kill spren? What happens to the spren on the other side in the cognitive realm? If anyone has any ideas or theorys on what these could be could they share their thoughts?

13 answers to this question

A spren that is far enough in the Physical Realm will likely be able to be affected by any Shardblade, but most spren don't pull themselves far enough to be able to do so due to the intelligence hit they have to take. You could probably smack a windspren with a Blade if you wanted.

As to what happens, probably the same thing that happens to anything else that gets knocked off by a Shardblade, only they're pretty much all soul if they're that far over, so their Investiture probably gets recycled/sent back to the source where the spren come from.

Thankyou, sir! I have wondered this for some time but found this forum and I no longer have to go ignorant. It just dosn't seem moral to go Shardsmacking windspren, anticipationspren, and whatnot, even if they can't think much. I think rainspren are so creepy lookingthat  they may be a good way to practice soul-severing being that they, along with windspren and anticipationspren seem more fully in the phisical realm. Also, do you think that there are snowspren?

13 minutes ago, ElendVenture said:

Thankyou, sir! I have wondered this for some time but found this forum and I no longer have to go ignorant. It just dosn't seem moral to go Shardsmacking windspren, anticipationspren, and whatnot, even if they can't think much. I think rainspren are so creepy lookingthat  they may be a good way to practice soul-severing being that they, along with windspren and anticipationspren seem more fully in the phisical realm. Also, do you think that there are snowspren?

There's spren for just about everything, so probably.

There's a refute to the anticipationspren thing, which I'll put in a spoiler since I'm unsure if you've read Oathbringer yet.

Spoiler

The streamer-like anticipation spren is just the actual spren's tongue, so odds are they're not far enough into the Physical Realm to be affected by that. Same goes for most of the emotionspren, and just most spren in general, with windspren being a major exception, to the point where a spren himself says they don't see windspren that much because they're almost all the way in the Physical Realm.

8 minutes ago, Invocation said:

There's spren for just about everything, so probably.

There's a refute to the anticipationspren thing, which I'll put in a spoiler since I'm unsure if you've read Oathbringer yet.

Reveal hidden contents

The streamer-like anticipation spren is just the actual spren's tongue, so odds are they're not far enough into the Physical Realm to be affected by that. Same goes for most of the emotionspren, and just most spren in general, with windspren being a major exception, to the point where a spren himself says they don't see windspren that much because they're almost all the way in the Physical Realm.

Oh, huh, thanks for the info. I figured so but I felt like the toung was still a lot more revealed than that of the fearspren or "freedomspren" as Shallan calls them. But what you say makes more sense. Thanks again- Elend

Edited by ElendVenture

1 minute ago, ElendVenture said:

Oh, huh, thanks for the info. I figured so but I felt like the toung was still a lot more revealed than that of the fearspren or "freedomspren" as Shallan calls them. But what you say makes more sense. Thanks again- Elend

Absolutely true that it's more than what manifests with the fearspren, but it's still a very minor portion of the actual spren either way.

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

A spren that is far enough in the Physical Realm will likely be able to be affected by any Shardblade, but most spren don't pull themselves far enough to be able to do so due to the intelligence hit they have to take. You could probably smack a windspren with a Blade if you wanted.

As to what happens, probably the same thing that happens to anything else that gets knocked off by a Shardblade, only they're pretty much all soul if they're that far over, so their Investiture probably gets recycled/sent back to the source where the spren come from.

Shard blades cut in all 3 realms, so the only reason the spren's manifestation in the physical realm would matter would be for aiming.  you mention the anticipationspren below, and it seems to me that hitting the physical realm manifestation of an anticipationspren probably wouldn't kill it - it isnt a vital organ after all.  but for some other type of spren that manifests more vital body parts in the physical, like the various radiant spren, you definitely could.

Just now, Dunkum said:

Shard blades cut in all 3 realms, so the only reason the spren's manifestation in the physical realm would matter would be for aiming.  you mention the anticipationspren below, and it seems to me that hitting the physical realm manifestation of an anticipationspren probably wouldn't kill it - it isnt a vital organ after all.  but for some other type of spren that manifests more vital body parts in the physical, like the various radiant spren, you definitely could.

That's mostly what I'm talking about, is aiming. Hard to kill something when all you can see of it is its tongue/droll/waving antenna, and nothing vital. Easy to kill gloryspren, though, I'd guess.

18 minutes ago, Invocation said:

That's mostly what I'm talking about, is aiming. Hard to kill something when all you can see of it is its tongue/droll/waving antenna, and nothing vital. Easy to kill gloryspren, though, I'd guess.

Killing gloryspren would be easy but depressing. What if you stabbed the ground or water directly beneath the glorytoung sticking out of the ground?

8 minutes ago, ElendVenture said:

Killing gloryspren would be easy but depressing. What if you stabbed the ground or water directly beneath the glorytoung sticking out of the ground?

You might could do that, but...why? The spren can't hurt you on the Physical side, plus most people aren't aware there's anything else there. Not everyone gets into the Cognitive Realm (yet).

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

You might could do that, but...why? The spren can't hurt you on the Physical side, plus most people aren't aware there's anything else there. Not everyone gets into the Cognitive Realm (yet).

Yeah, there is really no reason to kill them in the physical realm.

Just now, Invocation said:

It's also going to be very difficult on the Cognitive side, as it is to kill most spren on that side, and not really worth the time you'd have to take to do something like that.

It is best to, when on the cognitve side, avoid the dangerous ones and try not to make too many enemys.