Multiple magic system users (apart from Hoid)

XaviGzz

Hi everyone! 

I had a question bugging me for a while. We know Hoid is invested from several systems i.e. lightweaving, sand manipulation, mistborn, foresight/fortune? (Or something similar as he knows he has to be somewhere if not exactly for what )

Have we seen in any book any instance of someone using magic from multiple systems?

Thanks!

I don't know if Vasher using Stormlight counts, but Vasher using Stormlight. Kaladin uses an Elantrian orb while they're in Shadesmar. Kelsier uses the Connection that he stole from the Ire. What ever Renarin is doing is probably a combo. Paalm's spike is presumably from another Shard. Standard worldhopper answers: Khriss, Ghostbloods, 17th Shard, ect.

There haven't really been much in the way of multi-system users as of yet, since the greater Cosmere is meant to stay mostly in the background until Mistborn Era 4. But there have been a few instances. Mraize's Basement Emporium shows that he's got stuff from a *lot* of different worlds. Vasher somehow feeds off Stormlight instead of Breath. There aren't really any others that I can think of.

8 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

The Lord Ruler uses multiple systems, or did you mean magics from different planetary systems? 

Yeah I was going more to toward magics from.different planetary systems.

5 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I don't know if Vasher using Stormlight counts, but Vasher using Stormlight. 

6 hours ago, RShara said:

Vasher somehow feeds off Stormlight instead of Breath. 

He does? Since we've got confirmation of their identities in Stormlight I have been paying attention for this kind of thing from him or Vivienna.

6 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Kaladin uses an Elantrian orb while they're in Shadesmar. 

Is there something that gives it away as Elantrian?

What ever Renarin is doing is probably a combo. 

Always thought this was because of his corrupted spren.

Paalm's spike is presumably from another Shard. 

Totally forgot about this! But we still don't know from where/who it came  :(

Welcome to the Shard!

One comment on Hoid, we don't know that he's actually able to perform Sand Mastery, we just know that he has some sand. Brandon has mentioned that even if you can't Master it, the stuff makes for a handy sort of Investiture Radar because it will react to any 'kinetic' Investiture used in its vicinity.

As @RShara said, there really hasn't been much multi-world magic actually seen other than Hoid, in the sense of a character having direct access to multiple systems and using them in combination. Brandon has said that he thinks he's included at least one instance of hemalurgy being used off Scadrail but it's not meant to be noticeable, but that would potentially count if our mystery spiked person also had access to a non-Scadrian magic system.

24 minutes ago, XaviGzz said:

He does? Since we've got confirmation of their identities in Stormlight I have been paying attention for this kind of thing from him or Vivienna.

Brandon has confirmed it outside the books. Vasher has tried using Stormlight to Awaken but hasn't worked it out yet, but he's able to survive off it just fine in place of consuming the usual Breath per week. It's actually why he chose to go to Roshar in the first place, because it's much easier and less distasteful to get Investiture to feed his Divine Breath there.

Is there something that gives it away as Elantrian?

Brandon confirmed (again outside the books) that the man in the lighthouse is the hoed who shows Raoden and the others the way to the pool above Elantris and is then placed in it. Somehow he survived the transition to the Cognitive Realm and he wound up joining the Ire. It's possible they had a hand in his survival. There are a couple visual clues to his identity, the bald head, the fact that Kaladin thinks he looks really old and the fact that he 'looks Shin' which is a pretty good indication of a worldhopper who's not trying very hard to blend in. His name's also very Aonic-sounding. And then there's the real big hint: He swears by 'Merciful Domi' when he realizes Kaladin is a Surgebinder.

Always thought this was because of his corrupted spren.

Yes, but that means that he's got a bit of Odium's Investiture mixed in with what he's doing, so it's a combination of magic that's not 'natural', even if it's magic from the same planetary system rather than entirely different worlds. Brandon confirmed that Renarin's got some Voidbinding ability which is likely (but not confirmed) to be related to his apparent inability to use Illumination.

Totally forgot about this! But we still don't know from where/who it came  :(

We know that the metal comes from a Shard and it's one that we already know about, and 'Trell' and this Shard are one and the same. The most common theory and the one best supported by the evidence is that the metal comes from Autonomy.

Edited by Weltall

Thanks for the information! I'm relatively new to the WoB, and there's a lot of them. I always thought people just paid ultra good attention to details and just got information from that, but I see a lot of discussion/theories come from information gathered in different WoB. I know everything he canonizes in the Q&A´s will not be on the books (and this frustrates me a bit, because it seems a lot is explained outside of the books), but hopefully we will eventually see/know the story of all worldhoppers and what each was doing throughout the timeline of the cosmere. 

12 hours ago, Weltall said:

He swears by 'Merciful Domi' when he realizes Kaladin is a Surgebinder.

I definitively read too fast and just didn't catch this. My first read through is usually only a couple of days long and have no reread Oathbringer since hehe.

Thank you all for answering my questions, you have been a great help and looking forward to being an active member of this community!

Xavi

P.S. I might be going off topic here, but do alpha and beta readers get access to more info than the average reader?

Between getting to see the early drafts of the books that contain content that doesn't make the final cut (and which we only sometimes get to see bits and pieces of when Brandon shares them) and direct interaction, yeah, they do.

On the 'will some of this stuff be made available in the books' I imagine that all the really important stuff will be. Mistborn Secret History and the Arcanum Unbounded essays for example 'canonized' the existence of Autonomy for anyone who hadn't seen the WoB where Brandon first revealed it and the epigraph in Oathbringer similarly 'canonized' her creation of avatars on multiple worlds and implied her involvement on First of the Sun, which had been mentioned in WoBs. A lot of the tiny details might not get this treatment, though it's always possible that at some point Team Dragonsteel will put out a guidebook or a series of them that can contain a lot of that stuff without Brandon needing to figure out how to weave it all into the stories themselves. We know he's considered doing a book for Stormlight Archive specifically, for example.

Welcome again, enjoy yourself and please don't eat any hemalurgic cookies if someone offers you one. :D

• Chaos locked this topic