Harmony Splinter Question

Fenric

Question

If Harmony was to splinter into two. Would the product be preservation and ruin, or would they become something else? Would they be equal parts preservation and ruin?

note* I haven’t read wax and Wayne. If the answer is in this series please tell me just to read the books.

1 answer to this question

Brandon's answered this at signings, not in book (so far?) but I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case you don't want to read it anyway.

Spoiler

If Harmony were to die, he'd by default drop Harmony. If it were to split, the natural division would be back into Ruin and Preservation, but with effort, they could probably be split differently.

CosmereQuestioner

Like Adonalsium, could Harmony split into 2 shards OTHER THAN Ruin/Preservation with the right intent.

You once stated that it is plausible that with a different intent Adonalsium could have shattered into a DIFFERENT 16 shards. You have also said that Harmony is one shard (or could be viewed this way.) My question: Could Harmony split/be split into 2 shards OTHER THAN Ruin/Preservation (yet still complementing/opposite) with the right intent of the splitter?  And if not is this because Harmony is still too invested in Scadrial as Ruin/Preservation?

Brandon Sanderson

Almost anything is possible... but it is very, very unlikely that Harmony would split except back to Ruin/Preservation.

source

Thanatos17901

If Sazed were to die, would he drop the Shards Ruin and Preservation, or would he drop the Shard Harmony?

Brandon Sanderson

Excellent question. The shards are now intermingled, and would take effort to split apart. He would drop Harmony. (This is what Odium feared would happen, by the way.)

source