What's the deal with Moelach?

Bigmikey357

As we all know, both from WOB's and Hessia Mythica, Moelach is the Unmade that sends Death Rattles. Now, we've been told that future sight in the Cosmere is a no-no in general and is particularly bad on Roshar since it's 'of Odium'. Obviously the being who causes the Rattles is doing a bad thing. The question is, is that the extent of its powers? If all it does is send cryptic messages to dying people then that seems pretty ineffective. I mean, Odium lives in the Spiritual Realm; any information Moelach can induce in his victims is presumably already known by the big bad. And no one on Team Honor would trust that information once the source of it becomes known. Has there been any indication that Moelach is more than what it seems or are the Death Rattles its only trick? And if that really is his only thing, does anyone wanna speculate on how that would harm Team Honor or aid Team Odium?

From what I gathered, Moelach is one of the sort of mindless Unmade who sounds like a personification of Death. Seeing the future it almost impossible as you can see with the Diagram, it is not always right because people change all the time. Look at Mistborn with one of its metals being able to see a little into the future but becomes irrelevant when another uses the same technique. The Death Rattle's they make seem to give a feeling of when someone has been starved and tortured so much that spewing out their "Rattle" is like their dying breath. 

I hypothesis that Moelach is a personification of Death and everything it does will equate to death or the fear of death. 

Similar to the Unmades that personified greed, bloodlust, chaos. I think Moelach will become a more terrifying force to Team Honour when they realise it is more than just the Death Rattles that it makes.

Also in regard to the future aspect, I don't think they're real. Odium wouldn't allow Moelach to reveal such important information if they were. I see them as more a little push to get others to do what Odium wants or they are so outrageous that they spark a final lunacy to the person speaking the rattle before they die. 

I just realised that each Unmade probably represents the evil of humanity

8 hours ago, Eris said:

I hypothesis that Moelach is a personification of Death and everything it does will equate to death or the fear of death. 

Similar to the Unmades that personified greed, bloodlust, chaos. I think Moelach will become a more terrifying force to Team Honour when they realise it is more than just the Death Rattles that it makes.

Also in regard to the future aspect, I don't think they're real. Odium wouldn't allow Moelach to reveal such important information if they were. I see them as more a little push to get others to do what Odium wants or they are so outrageous that they spark a final lunacy to the person speaking the rattle before they die. 

I just realised that each Unmade probably represents the evil of humanity

Given that we know powers in the cosmere can be split into qualities, such as the Shards of Adonalsium, I think this theory is significant. 

It would make sense too. The Unmade are like liitle shards of Odium in themselves. The pieces of hate; greed, bloodlust, chaos, death?, etc

6 minutes ago, Mailnaise said:

Given that we know powers in the cosmere can be split into qualities, such as the Shards of Adonalsium, I think this theory is significant. 

It would make sense too. The Unmade are like liitle shards of Odium in themselves. The pieces of hate; greed, bloodlust, chaos, death?, etc

Let’s say I wouldn’t be shocked if Odium was technically part of the Unmade group. Passion, hatred, chaos, death, bloodlust, greed ect. It sounds like Voldemort splitting his soul to stay immortal. 

1 hour ago, Eris said:

Let’s say I wouldn’t be shocked if Odium was technically part of the Unmade group. Passion, hatred, chaos, death, bloodlust, greed ect. It sounds like Voldemort splitting his soul to stay immortal. 

Odium is not an Unmade.  @Mailnaise is right - the Unmade are Splinters of Odium (i.e. small, independent portions of his power that have been broken off of the larger body).  See the Coppermind page for more info.  

I think that the purpose of Moelach is to provide reconnaissance for Team Odium.  Odium is not all-knowing and cannot be everywhere at once.  I think Moelach's job is to extract information from people who die (while they're in the Cognitive Realm).  I agree that there's likely more to him than just the Death Rattles.  

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I think Moelach's job is to extract information from people who die (while they're in the Cognitive Realm).  I agree that there's likely more to him than just the Death Rattles.  

Hear hear.  Just to add background, we know it’s likely Odium has a method of extracting knowledge from the dying, considering the Sleepless’ statement to Kaza that she cannot even sate a dying wish because there are those who can take info from the dead.  Unfortunately, I don’t have my copy of OB right now so I can’t find the exact quote.  But that’s one of the main points of evidence for this theory. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am expecting Moelach does have more than just death rattles up his sleeve because:

1) Moelach is said to grant visions at the transition points between realms. This may let him know when people travel between the physical and cognitive realm and possibly interact with them. However he is still described as one of the mindless unmade so his influence is limited.

2) Second Moelach took up residence at the horneater peaks which is where cultivations perpendicularity exists. I expected that he is part of the force holding that under Odiums control, and because he is most potent when people travel between realms he is exactly the unmade Odium wants there.

3) Crazy drunk Jezrien mentions he can hear/feel Moelach nearby indicating Moelach can influence people who are alive and healthy. Although this could be a herald thing.

If you want more information the coppermind has a page for him.

Personally, and I don't have a ton of evidence to back this up, I think Moelach is a co-opted unmade, partially of Cultivation. Whether or not that is true, I still think some of the death rattles are true. But not too much stock can be put in them. The Diagram even says not to focus on them too much. 

However, if Moelach is part cultivation, I believe she may be using him to provide some information to team-Honor as its been put.

14 hours ago, Naurock said:

I've always just thought it was partly a way for Odium to spread despair. Like Maps shouting about death and the world shattering.

I don't know if someone shouting out the equivalent of a Shakespeare soliloquy before they expire would cause me to despair. It would be disturbing sure, but the death itself is plenty cause for sadness. The Death Rattles don't add much on that score.

2 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

I don't know if someone shouting out the equivalent of a Shakespeare soliloquy before they expire would cause me to despair. It would be disturbing sure, but the death itself is plenty cause for sadness. The Death Rattles don't add much on that score.

Alright, I laughed.

I'm mostly just referring people living in a city that's under siege or skirmishes battles. Seeing the forces outside and they keep attacking and leaving. While tending to their wounded friends they shout about the end of the world, speaking in tongues  or slashing babe's throats. This couldn't help the situation.

• Chaos locked this topic