Unity

Warden of Storms

Question

14 answers to this question

It was a partial/temporary ascension, best we can tell.  It manifested as Unity rather than Honor because whileTanavast took the root Intent behind Honor (ie promotion of Spiritual Bonds) as more of a personal thing between Individuals, Danilar seems to be taking a broader, more Community view of it. 

38 minutes ago, Warden of Storms said:

He is unity not honor tho, he may have taken the essence of honor, but that doesn't mean he will become honor. As he screams that he is unity

Like Quantus said, Honor is one of the Shards that can be taken multiple ways (i.e. Ruin or Autonomy), and Dalinar's take is Unity, not Tanavast's Honor interpretation.

Unity is one of Honor's Purposes.

Argent [PENDING REVIEW]

Back in ['14] you referred to Honor's Purposes to me at one point. Is that still a thing in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Honor's purpose?

Argent [PENDING REVIEW]

Honor's purposes. You referred to ten of them.  Using the concept of Shardic numbers.  But I don't have that on record, I don't know anything about it, it's been a confusing topic ever since.

So that's still a deal.  It just plays into the ten names of the Almighty and the ten attributes of the Fools and the ten attributes of the Almighty.

Argent [PENDING REVIEW]

Are Purposes something every shard has?

I wouldn't say...No.  It's playing more into the nature of Honor itself.

source

To Splinter Honor, Odium apparently had to "kill" Honor's Purposes. So far, then, at least as per the scene in question, Dalinar has "resurrected" one of the Ten Purposes. If he "resurrects" all of them, this might lead him to take up the Shard of Honor as a whole, but whether this will be so has been RAFO'ed consistently, and strenuously.

For all those who see "Unity" as way off Tanavast's mindset, or just a minor subset of a possible mindset of his, or whatever: this is not so, for it was Tanavast who (indirectly) commanded Dalinar: "Unite them." When Dalinar says, "I am Unity," he is expressing his role as the fulfillment of that commandment.

It's supposed to be ambiguous.  But I agree with the others that he "partially Ascended."  

[suggestion]

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Dalinar Ascends, right? Like right then there.

I have RAFO'd that. Whether he is Ascending or not is RAFO.

Okay, because I know he kind of mentions from that I don't know how to say his name but the older guy who has the Diagram

Taravangian, yeah.

Yeah, he mentions that.

Whether that deserves to be a capital "A" or not is a matter of argument. It can be disputed.

[snip]

source

4 hours ago, Warden of Storms said:

He is unity not honor tho, he may have taken the essence of honor, but that doesn't mean he will become honor. As he screams that he is unity

I personally think that Unity is just a reinterpretation of Honor, and that the Shards names are only what they are because of their particular Vessels. 

4 hours ago, Warden of Storms said:

We see what ascension is like in mistborne though 

And apparently, that is not the only way to Ascend. 

4 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

Unity is one of Honor's Purposes.

To Splinter Honor, Odium apparently had to "kill" Honor's Purposes. So far, then, at least as per the scene in question, Dalinar has "resurrected" one of the Ten Purposes. If he "resurrects" all of them, this might lead him to take up the Shard of Honor as a whole, but whether this will be so has been RAFO'ed consistently, and strenuously.

For all those who see "Unity" as way off Tanavast's mindset, or just a minor subset of a possible mindset of his, or whatever: this is not so, for it was Tanavast who (indirectly) commanded Dalinar: "Unite them." When Dalinar says, "I am Unity," he is expressing his role as the fulfillment of that commandment.

This is an interesting idea... But it's definitely guesswork. We have no idea what role the "purposes" play, or what they are. 

Like Calderis said. At the moment we know almost nothing of what happened there.

Indeed it's also possible Dalinar didn't channeled Honor at all during his Realmsclap, the reaction Odium had from the scene is freaking out and yelling "WE KILLED YOU" notice the "We" that made a lot of people to think Dalinar was in some way channeling Adonalsium himself. Brandon has also always RAFOed if the "Unite them" come from Honor/SF.

Also the killing a Shard by killing its/their intent/mandate/purpose/ecc... is for now completely baseless as the only instances we saw with some details didn't mention something like that at all. One is of course from Mistborn and as I don't know if the OP read it I will skip it. The other is from Odium itself fearing a surprise attack from Cultivation that could be able to murder him.... Def neither of those are about killing or interacting with the "purposes" of Shards

6 hours ago, Yata said:

Def neither of those are about killing or interacting with the "purposes" of Shards

That's because not every Shard has capital-P Purposes.

Argent

Back in, I think, Words of Radiance I asked you-- Somebody asked the question that had to do with the number 10 on Roshar and I didn't get the question on the recording--which was horrible--but your answer talked about Honor's purposes. Is what you said, and you mentioned 10 of them and that is why the number 10 is so sacred. Could you say something so I have something on the record? So we know what you said about that?

Brandon Sanderson

Honor's purposes...

Argent

Or Shard's purposes... Like what is that all about?

Brandon Sanderson

That will become-- I said it vaguely on purpose.

source

There's almost no way Odium was talking about Honor when Dalinar said, "I am Unity." First, Honor, as Tanavast, was not restored. Tanavast is perma-dead. So the "you!" in, "We killed you!" doesn't refer to Tanavast. Did the Shard of Honor have its own mind, aside from Tanavast's, when Odium Splintered it? That's the only way, even vaguely, that "you!" could refer to a Shard as whatever Dalinar was invoking/summoning. But now it really doesn't appear as if Dalinar picked up enough of Honor's Investiture, to become a Shard. I could see him being a Sliver, like the Lord Ruler, but not an outright Shard. However, if only part of Honor's Investiture was "picked up," then "you!" still wouldn't be able to refer to the whole Shard, so not the whole-Shard-as-Unity. And Rayse might be foolish in various ways, but I think he would be able to tell if Dalinar had actually picked up an entire Shard of Honor/Unity. For that matter, we don't even know if the Shard of Honor can be reforged. So the likelihood of "Unity" being a Shard is fairly low.

Honestly, that's my interpretation.  Unite Them.  Unite the nations.  Unite the pieces of Honor.  Unite the Shards.  I think Honor seeded a plan, the same way Preservation did.  I think Honor wanted someone to bring the Shards back together.  I think he suffers from Obi-Wan syndrome.  He thought he could run things better than Adonalsium, and saw how hard it was when the people he Invested in destroyed their own planet, and then went to conquer Roshar and potentially do the same to them.  He saw how horrible things were with Odium and Ruin, and potentially other Shareholders, and I think he realized that they should have never separated the powers.  The Shards are pieces of a hole, individual intents without the balance of all the others.  Rage without restraint or focus, destruction without consideration.  

So he put seeds.  He had the Stormfather find someone.  He maybe even worked with Cultivation to help.  And he prepared a way for someone, Dalinar, to be able to Unite the Shards.  

17 minutes ago, Tglassy said:

the people he Invested in destroyed their own planet, and then went to conquer Roshar and potentially do the same to them.

He was always on Roshar, though. That's where he and Cultivation settled initially, Ashyn just ended up dealing with the fallout from two nearby Shards.

18 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

That's because not every Shard has capital-P Purposes.

There's almost no way Odium was talking about Honor when Dalinar said, "I am Unity." First, Honor, as Tanavast, was not restored. Tanavast is perma-dead. So the "you!" in, "We killed you!" doesn't refer to Tanavast. Did the Shard of Honor have its own mind, aside from Tanavast's, when Odium Splintered it? That's the only way, even vaguely, that "you!" could refer to a Shard as whatever Dalinar was invoking/summoning. But now it really doesn't appear as if Dalinar picked up enough of Honor's Investiture, to become a Shard. I could see him being a Sliver, like the Lord Ruler, but not an outright Shard. However, if only part of Honor's Investiture was "picked up," then "you!" still wouldn't be able to refer to the whole Shard, so not the whole-Shard-as-Unity. And Rayse might be foolish in various ways, but I think he would be able to tell if Dalinar had actually picked up an entire Shard of Honor/Unity. For that matter, we don't even know if the Shard of Honor can be reforged. So the likelihood of "Unity" being a Shard is fairly low.

Well, he may be "perma-dead" but he also left a Cognitive Shadow behind, with orders bond to a new Bondsmith.  That might have been enough for it to seem to Rayse, in a moment of surprise/panic, that Tanavast was still around somehow.  Rayse is still figuring out how the whole Killing a Shard thing works, so it wouldnt be the first time he was blindsighted by unexpected results.