Dustbringers and Voidbinding Theory

Solomonster

Someone quoted the following word of Brandon and it got me thinking:

Cemci

Have we-- I think you mentioned in a previous signing that we'd already met one member of every Order of the Knights Radiant.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I think you have.

Cemci

My question is, have we met two Edgedancers? And is one of the Dustbringers a viewpoint character?

Brandon Sanderson

One of the Dustbringers is eventually a point-of-view character.

Cemci

Haven't been yet?

Brandon Sanderson

No, not yet, I don't think. But it depends if you count the Heralds as members of their order.

Cemci

I don't.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, see I would, because they're kind of heads of their Order. If you don't count them you have not met some from every Order.

Cemci

Have we met someone from the Dustbringers?

Brandon Sanderson

Well-- Dustbringers are really complicated. Really complicated. So that's the weird one. Okay? So let's shelve that one. You'll see why it's really weird later on.

source

So why would Dustbringer's be complicated?  All orders have some complexity to their members, so what makes the Dustbringer's special in that regard?  Items to consider:

1)  People associate the Dustbringers with the voidbringers, which makes Dustbringers unhappy.  So much so that they tried to change their name to Releasers instead.

2)  Dustbringer's powers are extremely destructive, something we typically associate with bad guys.

3)  The diagram specifically mentions that Dustbringer's would *most likely* be their greatest allies among the new radiants.  

4)  Malata specifically says she is just in this game to break stuff.  No mention of her oaths, nothing about bravery or obedience (Implying that her oaths are a LOT less restrictive than other orders.  Or maybe she just take a broad interpretation of them.)

5)  Last, AND MOST IMPORTANT: Assuming Dustbringers follow the pattern, when holding their shardblades their eyes will glow red, or possibly pink, like ruby (Kaladin's glow blue like sapphire, Szeth's glow grey like smokestone, Lift's glow white like diamond, etc.)

THEORIES: 

A ) Dustbringer's use hacked investiture.  We've seen several creatures in the cosmere with red eyes and we've been told that red investiture typically means that investiture from one shard is being hacked by another.  We've only ever seen this happen for nefarious purposes, but the Dustbringers are an example of the Good Guys making use of investiture hacking.  Honor and Cultivation hacked voidbinding to give the Dustbringers their destructive edge. 

B )  Because of this, Dustbringer oaths are complex, riding a line between following your passion and bridling it.  Their first two unique oaths probably are all about Bravery, but being brave and following your passion is easy.  This is why Malata was able to progress to her third oath so quickly (assuming that she gets her shardblade at oath 3).  The next two oaths will revolve around Obedience, which does not jive at all with passion.  As such Malata will not reach oaths 4 and 5 because she's only in this to follow her passion, not restrict herself with Obedience. 

Conclusion:  The Dustbringers got the attributes of Bravery and Obedience specifically to keep their highly destructive, Honor-hacked voidbinding in check.

Edited by Solomonster

As per WoBness, we've not quite seen Voidbinding. Ispo facto, when we've seen Dustbringer magic, we've not seen Voidbinding. Nevertheless, it might still be possible for Dustbringers to be using Voidlight that has somehow been hacked---using Voidlight is not the same as Voidbinding (which presumably uses "Voids" like Surgebinding uses Surges).

6 hours ago, Solomonster said:

*My apologies, I have no clue how to use the quote function.  If anyone can let me know how I'll edit this post. *

Quote function is the quotation mark in the header/ribbon section at the top of every post thing, where the bolding/italicizing/underlining area is.

6 minutes ago, Kon-Tiki said:

I think the weirdness he's referring to is that Ash is our Dustbringer, despite being the Lightweaver Herald. At the time, we hadn't met Malata yet

And if it is any to go off, one of the ending scenes in Oathbringer acts like the avengers assemble scene because of spoiler reasons however the dustbringer theory you mentioned I can't wrap my head around it. (as in i'm dumb and don't know how to even approach the question)

In order to have one flashback for each order, Ash would have to be a Dustbringer, unless for some reason Taln decides to be a Dustbringer and Ash decides to become a Stoneward. As Ash has been destroying things all over the place and we have no reason to think Taln would change orders, it seems pretty likely that Ash will go Dustbringer

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

Quote function is the quotation mark in the header/ribbon section at the top of every post thing, where the bolding/italicizing/underlining area is.

To add to this, if you're quoting something from outside of the website you can use...

[ quote ] blahblahblah [ / quote ] (Take out the spaces)

Nice protip

@Dalakaar!

really cool to know that can you write simple HTML tags in square brackets. I was wondering how you could get horizontal rule lines for a while.

Those are some very interesting points @Solomonster, but one thing to note is that Garnet's are also red. Though we haven't an onscreen description of Shallan's eye color changing when she summons pattern as a shardblade, her eyes should change to red as well. So I think this might be a case where dustbringers eyes are expected to change to red and unlike Lightweavers (which are the artistic outliers) Dustbringers get more of the negative connotations of Red Eyes because their powers are so destructive., Corrupted investiture is shown when something that wasn't supposed to be red suddenly is red (like the eyes of Amaram's troops during the battle of Thaylen Field).

(sorry this is in the ruled line bracket, can't get rid of the bottom rule. C'est la vie.)

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

• Chaos locked this topic