Investiture on other worlds

Porkins97

Question

Hi guys, I've been a long time fan of the series but only recently ran into this site.
I decided that instead of a specific question, I want to hear what you would like to see happen when different forms of Investiture collide. We've seen for example that Returned can use Stormlight to survive without taking breaths, but how else would you like to see things interact. I'm not asking "If it could happen", let's just assume that it can.

Personally, I want to see how a Kandra would utilise the Nahel Bond with their Radiant Armour. The armour is confirmed to "fit the wearers' shape", but Kandra are shapeshifters. Could the armour fit on a four-armed Knight Radiant who could utilise the strength the armour grants to use a 4 handed longsword? What would you like to see happen?

If there's a better place to ask this question, rather than a Q&A page, please let me know.

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the Shard!

Since you're not really asking a question with a definite answer, this would go better in Cosmere Discussion. The formatting of the Q&A board makes it very hard to follow discussions because posts are sorted differently here and an open-ended topic like this is likely to lead to those kinds of discussions..

Could the armour fit on a four-armed Knight Radiant who could utilise the strength the armour grants to use a 4 handed longsword?

Well, if they had a Nahel Bond they could adjust the weapon (within limits) to suit whatever their current shape is. We know they can make a True Body out of Shardplate and there's no reason to assume they couldn't wear it as well. We know that it's hypothetically possible for a kandra to bond a spren but it would be harder for them than other people. Whether you could get the Plate to form properly when you've got an atypical shape like a four-armed kandra is anyone's guess, since we know very little about the mechanics of it. And first you'd need to get a kandra who can handle having more limbs than normal, since they wouldn't have a 'natural' example to copy so they'd need to get the necessary bones or equivalent internal support and then work out all the biological details for themselves... but I imagine that if a kandra could manage that and also manage to bond a spren, getting Shardplate to fit them wouldn't be out of the question.

Corollary: I don't think it would work for a kandra who found a set of 'dead' Plate. The examples we've seen of gaining Plate all require that the wearer at least sort of fit into the armor initially before it can adjust to their dimensions and there wouldn't be anywhere for the extra arms to go. The armor reshapes to fit but it doesn't add completely new elements and there are limits to its ability to adjust. We also get a sense of this from descriptions of how modern shardbearers ornament their armor; they have to weld decorative elements on rather than wishing them into existence and the ornamentation can be knocked off rather than becoming an integral part of the Plate.

Edited by Weltall