How can Hoid be a planet jumper?

CoryP.1981

Question

Okay, I have a question. I'm about 400 pgs into Words of Radiance. I have read all Mistborn books currently out, Warbreaker, Elantris, Emperors Soul, and obviously WoK. Also, everything in Arcanum Unbounded that relates to how far I am into the Cosmere books. This may be a stupid question, but is Hoid a shard bearer? I thought there was only 16 shards, but how else could he jump between worlds? If this is something I will find out later in WoR or Oathbringer, then just say that, but as of now it just has me confused how he has the power to do what he does and I'm wondering if I missed something along the way??

9 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, CoryP.1981 said:

Okay, I have a question. I'm about 400 pgs into Words of Radiance. I have read all Mistborn books currently out, Warbreaker, Elantris, Emperors Soul, and obviously WoK. Also, everything in Arcanum Unbounded that relates to how far I am into the Cosmere books. This may be a stupid question, but is Hoid a shard bearer? I thought there was only 16 shards, but how else could he jump between worlds? If this is something I will find out later in WoR or Oathbringer, then just say that, but as of now it just has me confused how he has the power to do what he does and I'm wondering if I missed something along the way??

Hoid does not hold a Shard, but he is still among the most powerful people in the Cosmere, and has been around since before the Shattering.  That said, it is a lot easier than you think to jump between worlds.  The most common way to to use a perpendicularity (such as a shardpool) to move between the Physical and Cognitive realms (you've seen the Cognitive realm of Roshar already: Shadesmar).from there it is not too difficult to travel to the cognitive realms of different planets, since space in the Cognitive Realm is somewhat contracted.  You see more of an in-world look at this in Mistborn Secret History.

so having said all that, you'll have seen several other world hoppers in the books that you have already read:  the three people in the purelake interlude from WoK are all worldhoppers (if memory serves one of them is Galladon from Elantris and another is Demoux from Mistborn). There are also 2 prominent examples that I am aware of from WoR, though i don't know offhand whther you'd have gotten to them yet or not by page 400, and even more in Oathbringer.

You don't need a shard to hop worlds. There are multiple characters that are worldhoppers, and even one at least that has no powers that we know of. 

In the purelake interlude of tWoK that you read, Grump, Blunt, and Thinker, are Galladon from Elantris, Baon from White Sand, and Demoux from Mistborn in that order. 

Baon at least has no powers that we know of. 

Anyone can be a worldhopper. You just need to learn how to enter the Cognitive Realm. 

Edited by Calderis

13 minutes ago, Calderis said:

You don't need a shard to hop worlds. There are multiple characters that are worldhoppers, and even one at least that has no powers that we know of. 

In the purelake interlude of tWoK that you read, Grump, Blunt, and Thinker, are Galladon from Elantris, Baon from White Sand, and Demoux from Mistborn in that order. 

Baon at least has no powers that we know of. 

Anyone can be a worldhopper. You just need to learn how to enter the Cognitive Realm. 

Are you referring to the 3 at Purelake who seemed to be searching to find Hoid? I figured they were, but had no idea who they were in the other novels.

1 minute ago, CoryP.1981 said:

Are you referring to the 3 at Purelake who seemed to be searching to find Hoid? I figured they were, but had no idea who they were in the other novels.

Yeah. Grump is Galladon, Blunt is Baon, and Thinker is Demoux.

And as others have said, anyone can be a worldhopper. There are various methods of getting into the Cognitive Realm, and once you're there,  you can literally walk from one world to another.

World hopping involves physically traveling to the cognitive realm. The cognitive realm is shaped by thoughts, and there's no one to think in the vastness of space between planets. As such, they space between planets in the cognitive is very very small. You can walk from one planet to another over a few weeks in the cognitive. 

So anyone with the know-how and access to a perpendicularity (typically in the form of a shardpool, but not always) can enter or exit to or from the cognitive realm can travel around the cosmere. 

Mistborn Secret History and Mistborn 1 spoiler:

Spoiler

In Secret History, we actually see Hoid travel through Preservation's shardpool, from the cognitive to the physical. Before Kelsier destroyed the Pits, there was another perpendicularity to travel through as well. 

Travel through the perpendicularitys seems based on intent, not power. So a lot of different people are capable of it, although perhaps not as good as Hoid.

I am on chapter 46 right now in WoR. Kaladin is out drinking with the guys and Rock is just now talking about the Water of Life in the peaks and how it's a place of the gods. I haven't finished the chapter yet (half way thru pg 540), but this sounds like it may be a shard pool. Am I correct in this assumption?

3 hours ago, CoryP.1981 said:

I am on chapter 46 right now in WoR. Kaladin is out drinking with the guys and Rock is just now talking about the Water of Life in the peaks and how it's a place of the gods. I haven't finished the chapter yet (half way thru pg 540), but this sounds like it may be a shard pool. Am I correct in this assumption?

Yeah

6 hours ago, CoryP.1981 said:

The Coppermind is great for questions like this.  Here's the page on Shardpools (beware of spoilers, though).  

On 1/2/2019 at 8:55 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

The Coppermind is great for questions like this.  Here's the page on Shardpools (beware of spoilers, though).  

Ya, I'm trying to avoid going there until I am completely caught up. I just have about 400 pages left in WoR, then Edgedancer, Oathbringer and both White Sand books