Bunch of random questions/theories about the Cosmere

MrPotato

Question

1. Brando Sando said an Allomancer burning aluminum can cleanse themselves of unwanted investiture, does that also apply to Leechers(people burning chromium), if so can Leechers kill a Returned by draining their divine breath?

Douglas

What benefit does an aluminum savant get? Yes, I know this would normally never happen because aluminum burns itself up. Suppose a mad scientist with a willing Mistborn test subject shoved a feeding tube down the Mistborn's throat to pump in a continuous stream of aluminum, replenishing it steadily so there's always a new unburned supply. Add another tube to pump out excess water if necessary. What would he discover? Alternatively, what would Sazed with his Shard-granted knowledge know?

Brandon Sanderson

Ha, that IS a little silly of a method. However, on the extreme end of aluminum, I have in the notes the possibility of cleansing the spirit of unwanted effects of other Investitures. You'd get really good at this, and maybe even be able to cleanse the body of other impurities.

2. What do Shades look like in the Cognitive Realm, are the ghost thingies(totally a word btw) a part of their Cognitive body(like how Sprens only show part of their body in the Physical Realm)?

3. Is it possible that Aluminum is actually the god metal of Adonalsium, but drained of their investiture(similar to the Elantrians when the Shaod broke half way through)? Since Allomancers don't get their investiture from the metal but use it as a password to access the power of Preservation. Allomancers burning aluminum is actually trying to access the entirety of Adonalsium's power but since Preservation is only 1/16 of Adonalsium, it drains the investiture from the user in an unconscious attempt to heal itself.

4 answers to this question

1. As a savant, maybe. I don't know if they would be powerful enough just burning it, but a savant flaring might be able to. Someone ask Brandon.

2. I think the shades on Threnody would look the same on the CR as they do in the physical realm. Remember the Spren layovers from CR to PR, and how anger spren were these centipede insect guys, but in the PR only the pool of drool that they dripped appeared. This might have something to do with how powerful they are. If it does, then I think Shades would be powerful enough to appear completely from the CR to the PR. This is all just a theory, though. We don't know enough about Shades to make good Theorys, either.

3. I like this theory, and think it's completely possible. However, I think the part about Preservation being only 1/6th of Adonsalium wouldn't really make a difference, because the metal would tap into all 16 (now 15) Shards. It's also important to remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Preservation created Allomancy. Even though Ruin has a god Metal, that might just come from him making the other metallic art.

Regarding Aluminum, I strongly suspect it does have some connection to Adonalsium, but I dont think it can be a literal Godmetal, on the logic that Godmetals are pure, dense, crystallized Investiture, and I dont think that Ati and Leras would have been able to Create Scadrial whole as they did with such a large supply of any godmetal.  

That being said, in creating Scadrial they created the Metallic arts and by extension the only known way to Invest Aluminum directly, so there were already some amount of shenanigans afoot regarding aluminum.

3 hours ago, BooksBeforeDeath said:

3. I like this theory, and think it's completely possible. However, I think the part about Preservation being only 1/6th of Adonsalium wouldn't really make a difference, because the metal would tap into all 16 (now 15) Shards. It's also important to remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Preservation created Allomancy. Even though Ruin has a god Metal, that might just come from him making the other metallic art.

I agree that Preservation being 1/16 of Adonalsium probably not that important, but I think Preservation didn't actually create Allomancy. Like other forms of Investiture, I am pretty sure, it is just something that just happened as a result of the shard staying in a world for an extended period of time(can't be bothered to find the WoB about this). Though Preservation and Harmony did actually mess around the laws of Allomancy a bit. 

Edit: 

3 hours ago, BooksBeforeDeath said:

1. As a savant, maybe. I don't know if they would be powerful enough just burning it, but a savant flaring might be able to. Someone ask Brandon.

If this is true a Leecher running around the Cosmere with a bunch of Allomantic grenades would be the single most infuriating thing: 

I see you have some nice Investiture, I would be a shame if I zapped it all away ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edited by MrPotato