Denth operating without a buffer?

Aeshdan

Throughout the entirety of Warbreaker, Denth seems to be running on only a single Breath. He claims to Vivenna that he only has a single Breath, and with the First Heightening Vivenna would be able to tell if he had more. And we know that regular Breaths can't be masked the way a Divine Breath can, because there are times when Vasher has to stash Breath in his clothes in order to conceal his aura. 

But Denth is Returned, which means he needs to burn through a Breath a week. So is he sneaking out every week and buying a new Breath to replace the one he just ate? That seems incredibly risky. You'd think someone who'd survived as long as Denth would make sure to have a bit of a buffer just in case something goes wrong.

And, per Other people's actions elsewhere in the Cosmere, we know that a breath aura can be surpressed. 

Stormlight spoilers. 

Spoiler

mooglefrooglian

Why is Hoid’s color aura from his Breaths not noticed by anyone on Roshar? Are the characters just not used to noticing that sort of thing, or does he not have one?

Brandon Sanderson

There are a mixture of reasons. Not the least is Hoid's control over investiture.

uchoo786

Would someone with breath be able to notice his aura on Roshar? E.g. Vasher?

Brandon Sanderson

Various methods of detecting investiture would still work, depending on how good a job Hoid is doing of suppressing his.

source

2 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

More Oathbringer spoilers:

Hide contents

Azure is likely using some form of Breath suppression.  She has enough Breath to Awaken her cloak to help her fight, yet we never see any Rosharans notice any color distortion.  

Did we actually see

Spoiler

her Awaken in OB?  I recall her wrapping her cloak around her blade for a fight and generally assumed she was ready to do so, but I dont recall seeing any actual Awakening effects (and generally would have expected the others to have noticed and/or asked questions).  Not a big deal but doing so would required her to take her "store" back in long enough to issue the new Command, if Im not mistaken.

46 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Did we actually see

Hide contents

her Awaken in OB?  I recall her wrapping her cloak around her blade for a fight and generally assumed she was ready to do so, but I dont recall seeing any actual Awakening effects (and generally would have expected the others to have noticed and/or asked questions).  Not a big deal but doing so would required her to take her "store" back in long enough to issue the new Command, if Im not mistaken.

She did Awaken stuff, but it wasn't exactly on-screen and no character was paying much attention to her during that point.

3 hours ago, Quantus said:

Did we actually see

Hide contents

Spoiler

There would be absolutely no reason for her to ask the honorspren for bales of cloth cut into human shapes if she had no intentions of awakening them for the fight with the Fused. 

43 minutes ago, Calderis said:
  Hide contents

There would be absolutely no reason for her to ask the honorspren for bales of cloth cut into human shapes if she had no intentions of awakening them for the fight with the Fused. 

Oh Right!  I'd forgotten that entirely, thanks. 

• Chaos locked this topic