Where were the Bands of Mourning Found?

st0rmbrkr

Where were the Bands of Mourning found?  I remember Marasi just picking the bands off of the ground after they were searched and it was tossed to the ground (I could also be wrong about that), but I can't remember the first place they showed up.  Can someone please give me a recap.  I don't have the book anymore and can't figure it out! Thanks.

Welcome to the Shard!

As mentioned, the entire temple was a ruse with multiple fake chambers that were supposed to hold the Bands (including fake Bands) while the real thing was right in the open the whole time. I think that another title Kelsier must have accumulated over the years is Dungeon Master. :D

I initially thought the OP might have been asking what happened to the original idea of what the Bands were - the arm bracers of the Lord Ruler that Vin did a mist-fuelled Steelpush on, out through the window of Rashek's throne room in Kredik Shaw onto the streets of Luthadel (or into a rampart, back alley, or courtyard of Kredik Shaw).

If nothing else, it was a humongous piece of atium crammed full of Feruchemical youth. Even if it couldn't be "unkeyed" after the fact, it'd still be allomantically useable...

9 hours ago, robardin said:

I initially thought the OP might have been asking what happened to the original idea of what the Bands were - the arm bracers of the Lord Ruler that Vin did a mist-fuelled Steelpush on, out through the window of Rashek's throne room in Kredik Shaw onto the streets of Luthadel (or into a rampart, back alley, or courtyard of Kredik Shaw).

If nothing else, it was a humongous piece of atium crammed full of Feruchemical youth. Even if it couldn't be "unkeyed" after the fact, it'd still be allomantically useable...

Those were recovered, broken up, and sold as atium to fund Elend's fledgling government. It's mentioned near the beginning of WoA. 

10 hours ago, Calderis said:

Those were recovered, broken up, and sold as atium to fund Elend's fledgling government. It's mentioned near the beginning of WoA. 

Really?? Wow. All the times I've re-read MB: Era 1 and I never registered that!

...Probably because on most, if not all, re-reads, I skip the initial parts about setting up a new constitutional government, with provisions and clauses for zzzzz

But then how come the Era 2 people don't realize hey, TLR's armbands were melted down, broken up, and sold or burned up, so what's with this legend about them granting all the Metalborn powers? I guess that tidbit wasn't carried over into the Words of Founding, eh? (Or else I'm not the only one skimming past that part :))

Edited by robardin

6 hours ago, robardin said:

But then how come the Era 2 people don't realize hey, TLR's armbands were melted down, broken up, and sold or burned up, so what's with this legend about them granting all the Metalborn powers? I guess that tidbit wasn't carried over into the Words of Founding, eh? (Or else I'm not the only one skimming past that part :))

He was wearing multiple bands and only the atium ones were actually important, vis a vis how Vin killed him and because they were valuable as a source of revenue. Given that people could see how many bands he was wearing, there's certainly room for stories to spread that some other set of bands he wore could have been important in another way. It's not like this sort of thing is all that farfetched, consider King Arthur for example. There was probably some awesome guy who was the basis for all the legends. It's not until centuries after he would have lived that stories start to give him magical weapons, or at least written evidence of the same. We've had three hundred years for stories to accumulate around Rashek, plenty of time for someone to imagine that he had a magical means of granting his power to other people.

Not to mention, consider the source of the Bands. Kelsier probably helped spread the legend among the Elendel Basin himself, just as he did among the Southerners. He certainly constructed the true hiding place of the Bands in a way that uses iconography that only someone from that part of the world would recognize. And being Kelsier, he probably also did it just because he thought it would be funny.

12 hours ago, robardin said:

Really?? Wow. All the times I've re-read MB: Era 1 and I never registered that!

...Probably because on most, if not all, re-reads, I skip the initial parts about setting up a new constitutional government, with provisions and clauses for zzzzz

Well idk if ur the only one who skimmed over it, but pretty sure no one in world got the chance to read WoA lol

• Chaos locked this topic