Shard of Love or Kindness

Ambitions Avatar

So I am in the camp that Odium is not Passion and is hatred or some related term. Assuming that is true I think that based on the known shards a logical choice for one of the unknown shards is Love or Kindness. I don't think any of the other shards can encompass these ideals. These seem like traits that would be a part of a larger being. Opinions? I feel like Love is the stronger option but likely under a different name.

Yep, Devotion could also have been called Love.

Puck (paraphrased)

Does Aona equal Love or Compassion?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You have it, it's just a synonym there. You basically have it

Puck (paraphrased)

Does Skai equal Devotion or Order?

You're not on there. But you are on on the first one [Aona].

source

Relatedly, Odium was originally going to be Hatred.

Questioner (paraphrased)

What spren types are Glys, Ivory, and Wyndle?

RAFO, because I haven't decided yet. I know generally what they are, but I don't know how I am going to call them in the books. It happens with other things in my writing, Shards for example - Odium was originally Hatred; the idea was the same, but I decided to change the actual word.

source

Brandon has elsewhere said that when Odium calls himself Passion that 'part of him' believes it... and he doesn't think Odium is fully capable of being honest with himself.

Edited by Weltall

27 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

I think it’s too similar to Devotion to waste another Shard on it.

I think they are different enough to work. Devotion to something. Compassion for someone. Devotion to a cause. Compassion for a people. They are very different.

Main problem in my mind is that none of the Shards should be evil or good by definition. It's hard to imagine a Shard of Compassion with a dark side.....

1 minute ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

I think they are different enough to work. Devotion to something. Compassion for someone. Devotion to a cause. Compassion for a people. They are very different.

But you can also be Devoted to someone, which is much harder to seperate, as it would usually include Compassion for them.

The dark side thing is very true though.

52 minutes ago, Jace21 said:

But you can also be Devoted to someone, which is much harder to seperate, as it would usually include Compassion for them.

The dark side thing is very true though.

Compassion is being sympathetic towards someone's sufferings. (Summarised from a quick Google search....) So while you can be devoted to someone you don't have to be compassionate towards them at the same time. (See Zane and Vin)

You can also be compassionate towards someone and not be devoted. (see Kaladin and parsh.)

There is a little overlap, but they're still very different.

Edited by Steel Inqusitive

• Chaos locked this topic