The reason for the Recreance

Ripheus23

I'm not sure if this thread belongs in the overarching Cosmere forum, so I'm gonna pose the involved question with a spoiler blockade (although I'm not sure it involves an actual spoiler):

Spoiler

Do you think the Knights Radiant, or at least some of them, found out that Tanavast helped Shatter the closest thing to the true God that was known to exist in the Cosmere, and that this contributed to the Recreance? It seems as if a Herald knew of Adonalsium, enough to invoke the being's name at least, so, IDK...

I know the "official"/canon OB answer, but there was another thread where a poster expressed discontent with the, "Oh it's because the humans were the original invaders," reason for the Recreance. So I was just wondering if indeed there was an even deeper motive in this case...

5 minutes ago, Ripheus23 said:

I know the "official"/canon OB answer, but there was another thread where a poster expressed discontent with the, "Oh it's because the humans were the original invaders," reason for the Recreance. So I was just wondering if indeed there was an even deeper motive in this case...

I do believe that there is a deeper reason, and I like the idea of them discovering that not only did they kill the former inhabitants to get all that they have but so did their "god". It would be devastating to find out that your god of honor is actually a murderer and usurper. 

I also think that "Our species were the original voidbringers" doesn't seem like a strong enough motive for the Recreance.  Learning that their God, Honor, killed, or was part of what split, the real God seems more reasonable to me.  I'm looking forward to the backstory of Roshar almost as much as the ongoing story.

I think "humans were the original voidbringers" is only half of the reason with the other half being "we also destroyed the mind and enslaved (nearly) all the native people". I don´t think the Shattering would affect radiants that much, as they would have no emotional connection to Adonalsium, while they would probably see parshmen an a near daily basis and would have to live with the guilt of destroying (and not merely killing) the saviors of humankind (as far as they know)

• Chaos locked this topic