What are the dead eyes/dead shardblades missing

Gasper

Question

3 answers to this question

They had a part of their soul forcible excised:

Jerich

Is the Hoed from Elantris similar to the state of [dead] Shardblades? If so is it possible to awaken a Shardblade if the bearer speaks the oaths of the Knights Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson

The status is... I would say not as similar as you're probably thinking, but it does have a similarity in that two bacteria causing a disease are both caused by a bacteria, so there is a similarity there.

I can imagine a sequence where a Shardblade would be reawakened, but I think it would be very difficult.

It's not the same that they're in the middle of a transition, like in Elantris.

Jerich

Oh, okay. So you have to actually... it'd be harder.

Brandon Sanderson

It'd be harder, yeah. It's not the same, they're not in the middle of a transition. They have had something ripped from them, and it's very painful and it's left them mostly mindless.

Jerich

So they have to have that something added back?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. So what you've got going on: the spren gain-- the bond lets them have sentience in the physical plane, like they can think and all these things, and when that was ripped away from them-- imagine... (this is a very bad metaphor, it's the first one coming to my head though): imagine you had wetwear, you had a head-jack or something like that, and someone just ripped it out of your head. 

Jerich

*stunned/horrified*

Oh.

Brandon Sanderson

Instead of surgically operating it out. Like that's what's happened, a piece of their soul's been ripped off.

source

I do not think they have the consciousness enough to do either of those, since they're dead. What they're missing, though, is the rest of their Spirit Web that was torn away when their Radiant betrayed the Oaths they had taken (I think that's how that works, correct me if I'm wrong) and it would be nigh on impossible for someone that isn't their original Radiant to revive them.

Yeah they are basically missing a chunk both Cognitively and Spiritually as the ripping out of the bond did a bunch of damage.

The only thing that's likely to be able to heal them is if somebody can establish a new bond with them, I think. And that's super hard because they are mostly inert. But Adolin might be doing it with Maya.