hemalugry in roshar

Lushman

Question

4 answers to this question

hey. I asked a question like this to Brandon during the Oathbringer signing. Here is the answer he gave: 

Spoiler

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

Have we seen any evidence of Hemalurgy on Roshar? And, as sort of an addendum, given the end of Oathbringer, was what happened to Jezrien Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

There are certain cosmere philosophers that would count it. I would divide it as two separate things that are using similar fundamentals... I wouldn't call it myself, but there are people who would disagree with me in-world. Have we seen evidence? I would say no evidence that is easily-- easy to pick out.

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

But it's there?

Yes, there are people with Hemalurgy who have been to Roshar. I'm pretty sure they've been on-screen.

source

seems to suggest that:

a ) someone has been on screen in Roshar using Hemalurgy. Someone correct me if wrong but this is most probably Felt? 

b ) what is going on with the dagger and gem stabbing Jezrien is connecting to the underlying principle of stealing something or part of a spirit web and being able to do something with this 'stolen' thing. Perhaps Brandon doesn't count it as Hemalurgy because it isn't linked to Ruin and Scadrial, but in world philosophers would consider it the same thing due to the underlying process and mechanics that are underneath it (stealing or taking part or whole of a spirit web and keeping it somewhere). 

I think we'll get to a point where all the magic systems will interact but I don't think we will see crossovers of all of them as it will be near the end of the cosmere.

I have always thought Dalinar's "Unite them" referred to the shards being made whole again. So as more shards are united, those systems/powers will cross over.

As already pointed out, there's Vyre's knife which is similar, but possibly distinct.  

Additionally, we know that there are Kandra on Roshar, so that's probably what Brandon's referring to.  I doubt we'll see full-blown Hemalurgy as an active part of the storyline, as Brandon is trying to minimize crossovers in Stormlight (saving them for Mistborn Era 4 and Dragonsteel).  

Skaiiwalker (paraphrased)

Are there any kandra on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Skaiiwalker (paraphrased)

Is Axies one of them?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No, but good guess. The Aimians are a different race.

source

There's also a kandra running around on Roshar that was on screen in Oathbringer somewhere, which would definitely count.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Have we seen the worldhopping kandra on-screen in Oathbringer?

Yes, I believe you have. Ahhhh, yes, she gets around. 

source