[OB] Nightblood

Niteshado

Question

10 answers to this question

Brandon has said he's grown in power over time.

Mason Wheeler [PENDING REVIEW]

Nightblood is the most ridiculously over-invested thing in the Cosmere, second only to the Shards?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

Was this true from the moment of his creation, or did it grow in power over time.

Grew in power over time. Kind of answers a question that people have been wondering. But, yes.

source

For the longest time I thought the answer was no, he doesn't absorb the Investiture, he just corrupts it and releases it as the black smoke.  

However, we have a recent Word of Brandon that Nightblood is, in fact, growing in power over time:

Nightblood is the most ridiculously over-invested thing in the Cosmere, second only to the Shards?

Yes.

Was this true from the moment of his creation, or did it grow in power over time.

Grew in power over time. Kind of answers a question that people have been wondering. But, yes.

source

Edited by Scion of the Mists
So many ninjas...

The way that Nightblood functions is a requirement for its ability to desintigrate things into its base Investiture and consume it to begin with. It doesn't matter that it's "gotten stronger over time" it had to be ridiculous to begin with. 

Nightblood is the most heavily invested thing in the Cosmere we have seen that isn't a Shard. I don't care how much it's consumed. It's not enough to explain what it is. 

6 minutes ago, Niteshado said:

Yeah i saw this, its what made me ask. Is it naturally occuring or is it from the investure he has consumed

I think it's from the investiture he's consuming. Some of it he keeps, some of it leaks away.

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

The way that Nightblood functions is a requirement for its ability to desintigrate things into its base Investiture and consume it to begin with. It doesn't matter that it's "gotten stronger over time" it had to be ridiculous to begin with. 

Nightblood is the most heavily invested thing in the Cosmere we have seen that isn't a Shard. I don't care how much it's consumed. It's not enough to explain what it is. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that it wasn't ridiculously invested even from the beginning :)

Edited by RShara

9 minutes ago, Niteshado said:

Not at all, hes busted. but he grew in power, which is my focus @Calderis. Is it natural or from being used. 

It's not specifically confirmed but the leading theory is that it is keeping the Investiture it creates when annihilating things across realms, as opposed to that investiture just returning to the Spiritual Realm which is what normally happens with Investiture is "destroyed", like with the Investiture lost to Hemaurgy's End-Negative nature. 

In my mind the “black hole” aspect of nightblood seems to be getting stronger too. If you look at him being used in warbreaker and then being used in oathbrinnger 

Spoiler

Szeth is a pretty intense dude (understatement of the century) and he can barely handle NB without getting sucked in himself.

This might be useful to the conversation: 

Multi-site Skyward AMA (Oct. 4, 2018)
#3Oct. 5, 2018 

Facebook 7.JPG

Skyler Cecil

Is there an Investiture cycle on Roshar? Cycling through the crem rain and flora and fauna back into the storm, or something like that. Like the water cycle. If Investiture is finite, is it recycled back into the Cosmere when Investiture like breath or Stormlight is expended? Otherwise, wouldn't Investiture run out?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there is such a cycle. It is renewed and changed time and time again. It gets in and out of the Spiritual Realm, often with the birth of new individuals.