There are dragons, they're just hiding.

Casta

2 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

No, it's just a theory that Brandon has hinted at, and has a good chance of being correct.

There was the letter too, which sounded like it looked down on others, which would make sense as a lot of dragons in fantasy are stuck up.

If it's not a fact, then please don't straight-up say it's a fact. 

I think Bavadin was theorized to be a dragon as well. Had to do with the fact that she seems to be able to appear as different persons and even genders, which could imply shapeshifting, something dragons are good at. 

For further reading on Vessels who might be hidden dragons, there is this thread, which featured some points in favor of Edgli as a dragon.

I find theory about Mraize being a dragon quiet unlikely. Firstly, because he is just interesting character even without it. Secondly, because it's too obvious, considering Brandon's words that we 'wouldn't be able to recognize them'.

I guess that makes questionable Edgli, too, but I like the arguments behind her. Part of me kinda suspect that's simply this one or the other dragon being somewhere, blending with human society, but.. I just like thinking of Edgli as a dragon. 

5 hours ago, Casta said:

I find theory about Mraize being a dragon quiet unlikely. Firstly, because he is just interesting character even without it. Secondly, because it's too obvious, considering Brandon's words that we 'wouldn't be able to recognize them'.

I guess that makes questionable Edgli, too, but I like the arguments behind her. Part of me kinda suspect that's simply this one or the other dragon being somewhere, blending with human society, but.. I just like thinking of Edgli as a dragon. 

We wouldn't recognize them because they are shape-shifted to humanoid, non-scaley bodies. 

Speaking of potentially misleading WoBs there is this recent WoB where he says the Shards were all once humanoid (presumably before the picked up the Shards). This at first seems to rule out a dragon Shard, but we've seen Frost can appear humanoid. Dragons can take humanoid shape even if that's not their default. Or DragonSteel dragons default form is humanoid, which is less fun. Or he misspoke. 

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)
#197 Share  Copy
Play/Pause

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

So, in Warbreaker, Awakened items have to emulate humans. Why is that?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It's a matter of perception on the people using the magic. And there are ramifications on the fact that the Shards themselves were all once humanoid.

On 9/12/2018 at 0:38 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

I find that unlikely since then the dragon just killed itself in the explosion since they're just unaging, not truly immortal.

Brandon has talked about what he considers the different kinds of immortality, which include the not aging but can be killed type.  

We also have confirmation that dragons fall into this type of immortality:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Regarding a certain dragon mentioned in Stormlight Archive, and dragons in general in the cosmere: is functional immortality a natural part of a dragon's lifespan?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The way I have written dragons in the cosmere… ALL dragons are naturally functionally immortal. They can be killed, but they don't age.

source

@The Young Pyromancer Maybe don't call things facts that aren't facts.  

On 9/12/2018 at 6:03 PM, The Young Pyromancer said:

There is also the fact that Endowment is a dragon, so that could be what he means.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:46 PM, The Young Pyromancer said:

No, it's just a theory that Brandon has hinted at, and has a good chance of being correct.

Could Kaladins sergeant be a dragon? Tukks was hus name. I remember him being a wirldhopper suspect a while ago. 

Regarding Vessels, we know that there are human Vessels (I believe Rayse, Ati and Leras are all confirmed humans, but I might be wrong), we know at least one Sho Del Vessel, and so it would be wierd if there isn’t one dragon Vessel. Out of the current ones we know, I’d say Edgli and Bavadin are the most likely ones. 

43 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Could Kaladins sergeant be a dragon? Tukks was hus name. I remember him being a wirldhopper suspect a while ago. 

Regarding Vessels, we know that there are human Vessels (I believe Rayse, Ati and Leras are all confirmed humans, but I might be wrong), we know at least one Sho Del Vessel, and so it would be wierd if there isn’t one dragon Vessel. Out of the current ones we know, I’d say Edgli and Bavadin are the most likely ones. 

Tanavast was not a dragon, we have that much confirmed. I had a crackpot theory that he was a gold dragon, but Brandon shot it down during the Magic tournament at JordanCon this year.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone was nearby recording at the time, but them's the facts. I do like Bavadin as a dragon (or at least nonhuman).

7 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Brandon has talked about what he considers the different kinds of immortality, which include the not aging but can be killed type.  

We also have confirmation that dragons fall into this type of immortality:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Regarding a certain dragon mentioned in Stormlight Archive, and dragons in general in the cosmere: is functional immortality a natural part of a dragon's lifespan?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The way I have written dragons in the cosmere… ALL dragons are naturally functionally immortal. They can be killed, but they don't age.

source

I find this odd since Hoid refers to Frost's immortality as a more recent development, but maybe Frost gained the ability to heal the soul like Hoid can. OR Frost wasn't always a dragon. Maybe dragons aren't born, but made on Yolen. Humans or Sho Del can be magically altered into a third species, Dragons through some process. 

Old friend, I hope this missive finds you well. Though, as you are now essentially immortal, I would guess that wellness on your part is something of a given. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Letters

1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

I find this odd since Hoid refers to Frost's immortality as a more recent development, but maybe Frost gained the ability to heal the soul like Hoid can. OR Frost wasn't always a dragon. Maybe dragons aren't born, but made on Yolen. Humans or Sho Del can be magically altered into a third species, Dragons through some process. 

It's also possible that Frost has recently gained another 'level' of immortality, moving him from the 'unaging but can be killed' category to the 'unaging can't be killed' category. Sanderson has spent enough time clarifying what he means about immortality that it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to suppose that his characters might be vague about it as well.

Edited by tmnsquirtle

20 minutes ago, tmnsquirtle said:

It's also possible that Frost has recently gained another 'level' of immortality, moving him from the 'unaging but can be killed' category to the 'unaging can't be killed' category. Sanderson has spent enough time clarifying what he means about immortality that it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to suppose that his characters might be vague about it as well.

Yeah, that’s what I was trying to say with gaining the ability to heal the soul. 

About the "Bavadin is a dragon because those are shapeshifters and we knows she appear with multiple forms in different places", in OB we saw another Shard easily able to appear in different ways at the same time based by the observer. We also know that mostly every time a Shard "shows itself" actually the visible part is just a well made puppet made to interact with mortals without annihilate them.

I will not point toward Bavadin= dragon only for her hobby

• Chaos locked this topic