Lightweaving powers - lasers and radio

Ixthos

Lightweaving limitations  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you think that lightweaving is capable of, in and of itself, other than illusions?

• Radio communication
    • Lasers and Sonic attacks
    • Telescopic vision / X-rays / microscopic vision
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Which of the following do you think lightweaving is capable of with transformation?

• Static user interface - placing a holographic interface to a fabrial over the fabrial that anyone can use to control it
    • Transforming things physically - not only into another essence, but shape as well, for example a table into another type of table
    • Other
    • None of the above
  3. 3. Which of the following do you think lightweaving is capable of with progression?

• Healing pulse - long range area effect
    • Spiritual laser - harming enemies and removing negative investiture from a victim
    • Re-enactments of events - an illusion overlaying an area, showing what happened
    • None of the above

I've already posted a theory outlining the idea of each order having unique abilities in addition to their resonance already - see here - but I would like to focus on each individually as well, as I think each possibility as a subject also could make sense.

I think lightweaving - all surges, actually - have three modes. The first is the basic properties of the surge, which the orders that have it can all potentially use, such as Bondsmiths and Windrunners can all make things adhere, and Windrunners and Skybreakers can make things move according to a new gravitational vector. Each might be able to access the full range of these abilities, but it might be only a subset is available.

The second and third are using the surge with a neighbour, so - and this is hypothetical - Windrunners being able to perform reverse lashings, while I suspect Skybreakers can't, but instead make objects break apart, or how Jasnah was able to transmit a transformation across several people - indeed, I think part of this filters back to the knights uses of each singular surge as well, as Shallan has to convince while Jasnah has to force.

So, when I say lightweaving I mean illumination, available to both Lightweavers and Truthwatchers. As the pole says, I think lightweaving has several uses, the most striking to me is that of lasers, followed closely by that of radio. I think if radio is possible, then it would mainly be lightweavers with access to it, as cryptics like patterns, so encoding radio would be something they could both do and find facinating. Truthwatchers, with the implication of watching, also might be able to do that, and might also be able to use it to see far off things, focusing light. However, the main ability I think they both might have is the ability to make a focused beam or continuous pulse of either sound or light in order to damage or blind or stun. I will get to how this meshes with Truthwatchers, but I think that it makes sense if they can produce sounds and light that they can make a focused beam or pulse of either at sufficient levels to be dangerous.

Lightweavers can possibly apply a permanent illusion to a fabrial, and might be able to bake the illusion an activation system, both allowing the fabrial to be controlled via three dimensional interface, as well as switching on when the fabrial has stormlight, the illusion appearing once stormlight is present. They also definitely can change people - possibly their resonance, or another combined power - but they also might be able to perform more extensive changes to objects than Elsecallers can - while Elsecallers might be able to make part of something change, other than a liquid, I think by applying a lightweaving to something they might be able to use transformation to make it match the illusion, much like forgery.

Truthwatchers are focused on healing and helping, so it might not make much sense for them to be able to hurt people with lasers. But if they can fire a spiritual laser with a focus on removing harmful investiture ... Truthwatchers are closest to the idea of cultivation, and cultivation is also pruning and cutting away, and removing parasites. A beam of light that kills enemies and heals allies would be something that makes sense, and a general wave of light that heals all allies nearby would likewise be both illumination and healing. Lastly, as they are watchers, if they could use illumination to make an image of things that happened before - a progression of events in the past - they could also be detectives, and could use past events to better understand how to help those in need.

What do you think? Any abilities to add, or are some of these a stretch? :-)

• Chaos locked this topic