Checking In

Llayne

Layne here.

Long time Brandon Sanderson fan... I actually found him by reading Warbreaker online while I should have been working. I've read just about everything he's published now (except Alcatraz... can't seem to buy them in ereader format) and am eagerly awaiting his next books.

I'll probably just lurk fo a while... I like to read all Cosmere theories that are flying around and learn about any tidbits or easter eggs I missed on previous read throughs.

I guess that's about it... see you all on the forums.

Welcome to the 17th Shard! It's always really nice when a longtime fan and/or lurker decides to join in! Since you appear to have read Mistborn (I think), this following should be pretty much old new to you, but I'll copy-paste it all anyways:

If you're not already Cosmere-aware, take a look at the Cosmere 101 thread, found here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/491-cosmere-101/

This contains minor to moderate spoilers for Mistborn, so I guess in the name of long story short, this is what you'll get out of it: (Warning, this already copy-pasted warning will now warn you that the Cosmere101 thread explains this much better than I do)

All of Brandon's books take place in a shared universe, and there's a ton of "Worldhoppers" running around forming a background plot arc, hidden inside all of the series. If you heard about a guy called Hoid, he's a worldhopper who appears at least once in every Cosmere book, and we're honestly not sure where his allegiances lie. Forever ago in the Cosmere there was this huge powerful thing called Adonalsium, and it broke into sixteen pieces called Shards, each with functionally godlike power and an "intent". They can be picked up by people, granting them a form of immortality and crazy amounts of power, but also warp their minds to fit the Shard's intent. Like the Shard Odium changes the holder to feel and think of nothing but hate. Most Shards have attached to a planet and sort of run things there, though a solid number of Shardworlds have nothing but dead and broken Shards to watch them, like the Elantris and (Kind of, kind of not) the Stormlight Archive world.

Have fun, and don't let the admins cookie-spike you.

Edited by Observer

• Chaos locked this topic