Allomantic Faster than Light - Something that doesn't involve Pulsers/Sliders

Tempus

You are absolutely correct, Kurk. I personally tend to conflate the two, though. Atium is noted specifically to 'enhance the mind' as well as the whole time vision deal. While most forms of Investiture seem to enhance mental capacity in various ways, I presumed that God Metals do so more, or at least more notably, and thus 'Expanded Mental and Temporal' just means 'Time stuff and the brain power to use it'. Just my personal conjecture I suppose, but it makes sense.

Well since "Mental" is one of the Allomantic quadrants I really wouldn't do that.  In-context it really wouldn't make sense, since lerasium-alloys grant Physical and Enhancement abilities.  Why would three of the quadrants get a mention but not the fourth? (Also notice that Mental is capitalized, which would indicate it is referring to the formal category)

all the ftl theories seem somewhat overcomplicated to me, considering that we dont even understand how ftl would work in real life, where the physics are much better understood. allomancy, feruchemy, and hemalurgy are not truly understood well enough to make an actual, verifiable hypothosis on how faster than light travel would be accomplished.

still, my bet is they find someway to transfer scadrial's investiture to inanimate objects, and use compounded steel feruchemy for incredible speed and iron feruchemy for an infinite fuel source. and why would i say such a thing? simple: readability.

• 1 year later...

Maybe there are matter/antimatter Mistings :)

More seriously, I don't think this will work for FTL.

The limit on Feruchemy is the Feruchemist's physical attribute.  A 200lb man could only store 200lb of weight at a time.  And pulling much more than 2-3 times his own weight into himself would crush him like a dime, especially if there's any acceleration going on with the ship.

...the REQUIRED SECONDARY POWER of tapping weight is that your muscles get stronger proportionately, so, you wouldn't get crushed, but you would be able to move normally. And has anyone read BoM? Ettmetal devices can work with the Metallic Arts, so...someone could make a weightless ship with the help of a Skimmer, and use Pulsers and Sliders for FTL.

...the REQUIRED SECONDARY POWER of tapping weight is that your muscles get stronger proportionately, so, you wouldn't get crushed, but you would be able to move normally. And has anyone read BoM? Ettmetal devices can work with the Metallic Arts, so...someone could make a weightless ship with the help of a Skimmer, and use Pulsers and Sliders for FTL.

The previous post is from the far 2014... Both Shadow of Self and BoM weren't released then.

• 6 months later...
On 16/05/2016 at 4:31 PM, Ookla the Indubitable said:

But now its 2016....

And I personally wonder if tapping enough weight to actually move said ship would crush the Feruchemist.  There must be a limit of what he can do, right?

I don't think so. I believe it has been said that the feruchemy would always strengthen the body enough to ensure it can support its own weight. Also, there's  the consideration that in space, unless there's induced gravity, there isn't any weight to crush the Feruchemist. 

1 minute ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I don't think so. I believe it has been said that the feruchemy would always strengthen the body enough to ensure it can support its own weight. Also, there's  the consideration that in space, unless there's induced gravity, there isn't any weight to crush the Feruchemist. 

I was so confused when I got the notification for being quoted in this thread. :P  I said that a long time ago.  So I'm not sure exactly what I meant when I posted that.  I think I was more wondering if tapping weight like that would compact the Feruchemist, or the Ship would be crushed around him?   I don't know.  I feel like it has to be a hack, or there has to be something to direct(probably a better word) the weight.  

• Chaos locked this topic