Time for a speculation thread!

Ignore for a moment the financial implications of having that much atium on hand. Let's imagine that there was someone, either a Mistborn or a Seer, who had burned enough atium to warp their spiritual aspect and become a savant. What sorts of things could they do with atium that normal burners could not? I imagine they'd be able to extend the length of the atium shadows they saw far into the future. But presumably prolonged exposure to that much concentrated power of a Shard might have additional unexpected effects. And I'm almost positive that one drawback of atium savantism would be an increased suceptibility to Ruin or another Shard's influence. Are godmetal savants even possible? 

DOUGLAS

What about a Lerasium savant? Or would that require so much Lerasium that the person attempting it would ascend to become a new Shardholder?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Basically, this is what ascension is.

The amount of god metal/essence consumption required to become a savant would make you ascend. So yeah, I guess you could say becoming a savant in Atium or Lerasium would leave you completely under control of the intent of the shard eventually. :D

Edited by KalaDANG

4 minutes ago, KalaDANG said:

The amount of god metal/essence consumption required to become a savant would make you ascend. So yeah, I guess you could say becoming a savant in Atium or Lerasium would leave you completely under control of the intent of the shard eventually. :D

That is because of the connection to Preservation that lerasium causes. 

We have nothing saying atium would do the same.

I think an atium savant would have some very weird mental issues personally, that would make normal life... Difficult. 

9 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I think an atium savant would have some very weird mental issues personally, that would make normal life... Difficult. 

Oh, they'd almost certainly be insane. But very, VERY good at killing. 

I wonder if an atium savant would be able to counter the effects of electrum to a degree, sort of like how a sufficiently strong Seeker can pierce copperclouds?

4 minutes ago, Unlicensed Hemalurgist said:

I wonder if an atium savant would be able to counter the effects of electrum to a degree, sort of like how a sufficiently strong Seeker can pierce copperclouds?

Maybe. I feel like the mental aspect of atium, enhanced by Savantism, might be able to help determine which of the outcomes is more likely when the shadows split apart. 

I think the problem would be when not burning... And with atium that would be most of the time. 

Tin deadened the things that it enhanced in Spook when he wasn't burning. So an atium savant without atium seems like they would have difficulty gaging the way everything in the world functions. On an instinctive level we process a lot of information based of movement that tells us what exactly is about to happen. That ability is what I think would suffer. 

Edited by Calderis

So, something like an extreme difficulty gauging cause-and-effect? Or an inability to consider the future at all?

EDIT: Also, turns out there is a WoB on atium savantism out there. 

Questioner

What's the effects of being an atium savant?

Brandon Sanderson

Hehehe. No one has found out.

source

Edited by Unlicensed Hemalurgist

8 hours ago, goody153 said:

The WoB from above suggests that maybe not even Rashek is an atium savant ? (Maybe he is but he never said what's up with being one) So neither Marsh or Elend(who both consumed so many atium in their lives) are close to savantism.

I doubt rashek would be, since he likely burned most of his atium to compound age instead of burning it for it's time dilation effect, and we know that feruchemical savantism isn't really a thing.

There was actually a whole post that touched on this.

20 hours ago, goody153 said:

The WoB from above suggests that maybe not even Rashek is an atium savant ? (Maybe he is but he never said what's up with being one) So neither Marsh or Elend(who both consumed so many atium in their lives) are close to savantism.

Marsh gained his atium allomancy through Hemalurgy after Ruin's release, and probably didn't have enough atium to achieve savantism in the year between then and the Catacendre. Elend burned more atium in one sitting than probably anyone in history, but was killed almost immediately afterwards. He may have been close to savantism, but we'll never know for sure. So it makes sense that neither Marsh nor Elend were atium savants.

Edited by Unlicensed Hemalurgist

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this recently, rereading Mistborn Era 1. My thoughts were somewhere along the lines that if Tin Savants have hyper-sensitive senses, and Pewter Savants have incredible healing, Atium Savants might be able to see further into the future or process those futures better than others. Say an Atium Savant went against someone simply burning Atium, the Savant would likely still have the advantage in processing the more likely futures. This, of course, doesn't take into account the fact atium is a god metal of ruin.

However, I agree, they'd probably be crazy. Becoming an Atium Savant would require constant burning of the metal, constantly seeing the future of everything. That can't be healthy for one's sanity.

personally I think that an Atium savant would be able to see a few hours into the future of everything in their perception, but they would lose all memory of the past i.e. when burning atium they would be like a limited version of the Cthaeh from the kingkiller chronicle but when not burning they would have severe alzheimer's. Also they would never remember the past or things outside their perception and would have to infer such information from their view of the future.

I think this fits with the idea of savants, great power with a related downside that makes not being a savant preferable, in most situations.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if an Atium savant would be able to use atium more efficiently than a regular Allomancer. Not so much extending the burn time of their atium, but getting more power out of smaller amounts of atium. The atium shadows stretch out longer, so they don't have to burn as much atium to get the same effect?

We have WoB confirmation that if you were to become a Lerasium savant you would Ascend to become Preservation.

I'm assuming the same goes for atium.

Savant of godmetal=Ascension

Edit: WoB

DOUGLAS

What about a Lerasium savant? Or would that require so much Lerasium that the person attempting it would ascend to become a new Shardholder?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Basically, this is what ascension is.

TAGS

lerasium ,  savantism ,  ascension ,  shards
Edited by BitBitio
Added WoB

• Chaos locked this topic